News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 697     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Inflation

For the record, this is what an @AlbertC expense-account worthy ham and cheese sandwich looks like:

1681392607289.png

Light and airy pan de cristal is the hero of the Almussafes Bocata at Mama Delia, deftly carrying layers of
Sobrasada Ibérica, goat cheese, confit onion and white vermouth purée, and truffle aged balsamic.

Albert may be expensing this on his next trip to Chicago.

For the record, this is what an @AlbertC expense-account worthy ham and cheese sandwich looks like:

View attachment 468817
Light and airy pan de cristal is the hero of the Almussafes Bocata at Mama Delia, deftly carrying layers of
Sobrasada Ibérica, goat cheese, confit onion and white vermouth purée, and truffle aged balsamic.

Albert may be expensing this on his next trip to Chicago.

Haha, I appreciate the plaudits but in all honesty I've never had a job that came with expense accounts before. Even before the shift to remote work, the only work trips I've taken were to Barrie and Orillia for overnight retreats. And the only Iberian food products I've ever tried were when I worked at Pusateri's in my high school days. ;)

At first, I was just going to say that it was obviously an @AlbertC 'company expense account' lunch kinda thing.

But then I clicked through:

View attachment 468813

Self-serve, wrapped in cellophane....... for $29? Someone can go ......@#$# themselves. Seriously though, that there is some chutzpah! Clearly, unworthy of Albert's luxury budget from the boss!

You can still get pre-made turkey and cheese sandwiches at the Maple Leaf Square Longo's for $4.99! It's my go-to quick bite when I'm at my nearby office. A lot cheaper than Aria!

Inflation picks up speed again, rising to 3.3 per cent in Canada

Canada’s annual inflation rate rose to 3.3 per cent in July from a year ago, according to Statistics Canada. While the headline increase brings the Consumer Price Index (CPI) further from the Bank of Canada's target range, core inflationary measures suggest price pressures may continue to ease.

July's rise in the CPI was up from a 2.8 per cent rise in June. StatCan said on Tuesday the faster pace was mainly due to the base-year effect on gasoline prices, which declined steeply in July 2022. Excluding gasoline, the CPI rose 4.1 per cent, up from 4.0 per cent in June.

On a monthly basis, CPI increased 0.6 per cent in July. On a seasonally adjusted basis, the increase was 0.5 per cent.

Economists had forecast an increase in headline inflation to three percent, according to a Bloomberg survey. The acceleration in July's monthly figure doubled those expectations.

"It wasn't good news on the inflation front in July for Canadians," CIBC senior economist Katherine Judge wrote in a note to clients Tuesday morning.
"While base effects tied to a large drop in gasoline prices from a year ago falling out of the calculation contributed to the acceleration, prices excluding food and energy rose by a strong 0.3 per in seasonally-adjusted terms."

StatCan said mortgage interest costs booked another record year-over-year gain, ranking again as the largest contributor to headline inflation. Gasoline prices fell 12.9 per cent on an annualized basis in July.

StatCan said while grocery costs remain elevated, prices climbed at a slower year-over-year pace last month, rising 8.5 per cent, versus a 9.1 per cent rise in June. The agency said the slower price growth was mainly due to cheaper fresh fruit.

While headline inflation climbed in July, two of the Bank of Canada's most closely-watch gauges, CPI-trim and median, did not reaccelerate. Those measures rose 3.6 per cent and 3.7 per cent year-over-year, respectively, which was in line with consensus expectations.

CIBC's Judge says strength in these underlying core components suggests the Bank of Canada will raise its key lending rate by 25 basis points at its next meeting in September, in-line with her pervious forecast.

Last month, the Bank of Canada called for CPI to hover around three per cent for the next year, before gradually declining to 2 per cent in the middle of 2025. The bank’s latest forecast predicts a slower return to the bank's target range than previous estimates from January and April.

I thought some of these stats on food cost inflation at the producer level might be interesting to some as we move into the final weeks of harvest for 2023. This report is from Statscan from November 2022, the latest published figures i believe . Our own final operating numbers are not known yet, but certainly reflect what is happening everywhere else. On the flip side, most farm incomes have also risen, again in 2022 numbers and differing from sector to sector, and according to StatsCan, an average of (forecasted at the time of the report) 6.9%, and farm worth (farming real estate values continue to climb) by 3.3%

it is important to note that wide variations in these numbers can be seen depending on where you farm, how you farm, what you farm etc. for instance real estate values of Ontarios best farmlands have probably jumped 20% and more in the past two-three years..

Like your family doctor, that increase in income has to cover the rising costs of feed, fuel, seed, fertilizer, equipment, buildings, labour etc. etc

Growing and raising costs for farmers​

November 29, 2022, 10:59 a.m. (EST)

We’ve all experienced a rise in food prices over the past year, most recently a 10.1% year-over-year increase in October 2022.
Canadian farmers have also experienced a rise in production costs, as tracked by our Farm Inputs Price Index.
In the second quarter (April to June) of 2022, total input prices nationwide have risen by nearly one-fifth (+17.4%) from the same quarter a year ago—a movement much larger than the 4.5% year-over-year increase recorded in the first quarter.
There were some variations by province, and Prairie farmers saw the biggest increases: Saskatchewan (+21.5%), Manitoba (+19.6%) and Alberta (+19.2%). Farmers in the eastern provinces saw an average increase of 14.4%, while British Columbia farmers had the lowest increase among all provinces (+13.4%).
But no matter where a farm was, there was no escape from the increases in price for most inputs, especially the historic rise for two categories in particular.

Fertilizer and fuel

Prices paid by farmers for fertilizer were up by over four-fifths (80.8%) in the second quarter of 2022 compared with the second quarter of 2021. This was the largest yearly price increase among all inputs we tracked for that period.
It was also the largest year-over-year price increase for fertilizer since 2008, mainly because of global supply concerns magnified by the invasion of Ukraine by Russia, a major exporter of fertilizer and its key ingredients.
Domestic production of potash, the most produced fertilizer type in Canada, was up slightly for the 2021/2022 fertilizer year (July to June), compared with the previous year. Most other types saw a slight decline.
The invasion of Ukraine also factored into a jump in oil prices, and this, in turn, ignited a rise in fuel prices. The sticker shock was similar to that of fertilizer: farmers paid nearly four-fifths (+78.5%) more for machinery fuel in the second quarter of 2022 compared with the same quarter in 2021, and more than triple (+211.0%) the 16-year low seen in the second quarter of 2020, at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Prior to 2021, the largest yearly price increase for machinery fuel (+45.6%) was observed in the third quarter of 2008, amid the beginning of the global recession. Over the next two quarters, prices dropped by nearly half (-46.1%) before a gradual climb until 2014, followed by declines until 2016.

Machinery and supplies

Tractors, combines, elevators and other vehicles and machinery are not only expensive to acquire but also experience heavy wear and tear along with age.
Prices for machinery and motor vehicles were up by over one-fifth (20.4%) in the second quarter of 2022, compared with the same quarter in 2021.
Depreciation on machinery and motor vehicles was up 9.7% during the same period. Prices for machine repairs were also up (+3.5%).
Prices for twine (a lot is needed for wrapping hay bales!), wire and containers rose 15.2% during the same period.
Compared with fertilizer, prices for other crop-related inputs increased at a much slower pace. Commercial seed and plant prices were virtually unchanged (+0.6%), while those for pesticides rose 7.7%. Prices for production insurance, which covers some crop losses, rose 6.8%.

Livestock and feed

Prices for commercial feed for livestock were up by nearly one-third (29.8%) in the second quarter of 2022 compared with the same period in 2021, largely because of growing conditions and global supply issues for grain. The largest prior year-over-year gain was recorded in the third quarter of 1973 (+74.6%).
Prices for livestock purchases increased 3.0% on a year-over-year basis in the second quarter of 2022. However, they saw a slight decline (-0.9%) from the first quarter of 2016. From 2016 through 2021, there was a modest increase in some major livestock inventories on farms, such as cattle and calf, hogs and pigs, and chickens.

Shelter

Farmers paid 13.8% more for buildings in the second quarter of 2022 on a year-over-year basis, the largest yearly increase in this category since the third quarter of 1974 (+15.0%).

I thought some of these stats on food cost inflation at the producer level might be interesting to some as we move into the final weeks of harvest for 2023. This report is from Statscan from November 2022, the latest published figures i believe . Our own final operating numbers are not known yet, but certainly reflect what is happening everywhere else. On the flip side, most farm incomes have also risen, again in 2022 numbers and differing from sector to sector, and according to StatsCan, an average of (forecasted at the time of the report) 6.9%, and farm worth (farming real estate values continue to climb) by 3.3%

it is important to note that wide variations in these numbers can be seen depending on where you farm, how you farm, what you farm etc. for instance real estate values of Ontarios best farmlands have probably jumped 20% and more in the past two-three years..

Like your family doctor, that increase in income has to cover the rising costs of feed, fuel, seed, fertilizer, equipment, buildings, labour etc. etc

Growing and raising costs for farmers​

November 29, 2022, 10:59 a.m. (EST)

We’ve all experienced a rise in food prices over the past year, most recently a 10.1% year-over-year increase in October 2022.
Canadian farmers have also experienced a rise in production costs, as tracked by our Farm Inputs Price Index.
In the second quarter (April to June) of 2022, total input prices nationwide have risen by nearly one-fifth (+17.4%) from the same quarter a year ago—a movement much larger than the 4.5% year-over-year increase recorded in the first quarter.
There were some variations by province, and Prairie farmers saw the biggest increases: Saskatchewan (+21.5%), Manitoba (+19.6%) and Alberta (+19.2%). Farmers in the eastern provinces saw an average increase of 14.4%, while British Columbia farmers had the lowest increase among all provinces (+13.4%).
But no matter where a farm was, there was no escape from the increases in price for most inputs, especially the historic rise for two categories in particular.

Fertilizer and fuel

Prices paid by farmers for fertilizer were up by over four-fifths (80.8%) in the second quarter of 2022 compared with the second quarter of 2021. This was the largest yearly price increase among all inputs we tracked for that period.
It was also the largest year-over-year price increase for fertilizer since 2008, mainly because of global supply concerns magnified by the invasion of Ukraine by Russia, a major exporter of fertilizer and its key ingredients.
Domestic production of potash, the most produced fertilizer type in Canada, was up slightly for the 2021/2022 fertilizer year (July to June), compared with the previous year. Most other types saw a slight decline.
The invasion of Ukraine also factored into a jump in oil prices, and this, in turn, ignited a rise in fuel prices. The sticker shock was similar to that of fertilizer: farmers paid nearly four-fifths (+78.5%) more for machinery fuel in the second quarter of 2022 compared with the same quarter in 2021, and more than triple (+211.0%) the 16-year low seen in the second quarter of 2020, at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Prior to 2021, the largest yearly price increase for machinery fuel (+45.6%) was observed in the third quarter of 2008, amid the beginning of the global recession. Over the next two quarters, prices dropped by nearly half (-46.1%) before a gradual climb until 2014, followed by declines until 2016.

Machinery and supplies

Tractors, combines, elevators and other vehicles and machinery are not only expensive to acquire but also experience heavy wear and tear along with age.
Prices for machinery and motor vehicles were up by over one-fifth (20.4%) in the second quarter of 2022, compared with the same quarter in 2021.
Depreciation on machinery and motor vehicles was up 9.7% during the same period. Prices for machine repairs were also up (+3.5%).
Prices for twine (a lot is needed for wrapping hay bales!), wire and containers rose 15.2% during the same period.
Compared with fertilizer, prices for other crop-related inputs increased at a much slower pace. Commercial seed and plant prices were virtually unchanged (+0.6%), while those for pesticides rose 7.7%. Prices for production insurance, which covers some crop losses, rose 6.8%.

Livestock and feed

Prices for commercial feed for livestock were up by nearly one-third (29.8%) in the second quarter of 2022 compared with the same period in 2021, largely because of growing conditions and global supply issues for grain. The largest prior year-over-year gain was recorded in the third quarter of 1973 (+74.6%).
Prices for livestock purchases increased 3.0% on a year-over-year basis in the second quarter of 2022. However, they saw a slight decline (-0.9%) from the first quarter of 2016. From 2016 through 2021, there was a modest increase in some major livestock inventories on farms, such as cattle and calf, hogs and pigs, and chickens.

Shelter

Farmers paid 13.8% more for buildings in the second quarter of 2022 on a year-over-year basis, the largest yearly increase in this category since the third quarter of 1974 (+15.0%).
Interesting. It's a pretty deep dive when they even analyze the cost of twine (which I assume is pretty much poly these days as opposed to natural fibre).

The other side of the coin is, with the increased prices for the final product (food on the shelf), are the farmers getting comparably more for their contribution?

Tech can make some operations more efficient; such as sat soil analysis to maximize fertilizing. I assume a cost-benefit analysis has been done to compare the cost of inputs vs value of yields. I would think that pretty much the only crop that can e3conomically be grown with minimal inputs these days is hay, which is comparitively low value crop.

One problem with increased land value, particularly when coupled with reduced income and lack of a family successor, is it makes selling more attractive. I don't know if changing the rules to make it easier to transfer agricultural land (or even things like milk quotas) between owners, provided it stays agricultural, family or otherwise, would help.

Interesting. It's a pretty deep dive when they even analyze the cost of twine (which I assume is pretty much poly these days as opposed to natural fibre).

The other side of the coin is, with the increased prices for the final product (food on the shelf), are the farmers getting comparably more for their contribution?

Tech can make some operations more efficient; such as sat soil analysis to maximize fertilizing. I assume a cost-benefit analysis has been done to compare the cost of inputs vs value of yields. I would think that pretty much the only crop that can e3conomically be grown with minimal inputs these days is hay, which is comparitively low value crop.

One problem with increased land value, particularly when coupled with reduced income and lack of a family successor, is it makes selling more attractive. I don't know if changing the rules to make it easier to transfer agricultural land (or even things like milk quotas) between owners, provided it stays agricultural, family or otherwise, would help.
This is Stats Canada, so a very top level view. Your comments are correct and illustrate how complex the business has and is becoming. The use of ‘tech’, the introduction and pace of new technology in so many areas, and the scope and scale of scale of this new tech is impressive, potentially game changing in many ways, often quite expensive, and will demand further changes in the education and technical capabilities of farmers.

To deal with inflation, my wife cooks at home most of the time now instead of eating at restaurants. But we still indulge in eating out once in a while. I quit my old job, and I’m now working at home. I use bicycle or walk to do errands. And the one thing that my wife was most happy about, I quit smoking. 🚭

I quit smoking. 🚭
Congrats! When I was a kid I asked my Dad to quit smoking, saying that I loved him and wanted him to live. But he chose the smokes and was dead from lung cancer by 69. Considering that his brothers, my uncles are active and enjoying their late 70s and early 80s, it seems a ridiculously unnecessary early exit.

Congrats! When I was a kid I asked my Dad to quit smoking, saying that I loved him and wanted him to live. But he chose the smokes and was dead from lung cancer by 69. Considering that his brothers, my uncles are active and enjoying their late 70s and early 80s, it seems a ridiculously unnecessary early exit.
I was thinking about this the other day and I recall as a child in the 80's so many relatives smoked so much. Like I don't think youth today can even understand how ingrained it was in society, but also how expensive. There was about 25% of the population who legitimately spent about the equivalent in today's money of $10/day on smokes, or $3,650/year. And another 15-20% spent about half that much, which is still a lot of cash. It was so ubiquitous and I still remember restaurants and places like Tim Hortons where you would walk in to a blue haze in the place and it would stink, but it was accepted as normal and how it should be.

I had a Great Uncle who smoked a pipe and cigars regularly and he died of lung cancer in his mid-60's, only around six or seven years after he retired form his lifetime job at Firestone. He never got to actually enjoy that huge pension he was entitled to since he started work there at 18 years-old in the 1940's. What a pointless waste.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your dad's passing. I'm glad I got the motivation to quit smoking, mostly because of my wife. 😊 My only regret is that I should have quit sooner. My dad was also a smoker, but he got to live to 83 years old despite starting smoking at a very young age.

The consumer cost of food is a worthy topic of discussion. And more complex (with due respect) then excessive salaries of Loblaw’s executives and the lack of competition amongst grocery stores may suggest. We grow and raise food in Canada in many fundamentally differing ways then the USA (hormone and steroid free chicken amongst some examples), and yet our food chain is VERY dependent on imports from other countries for many of our staples - tender fruits and vegetables Being one. My point here is that your food costs are not blogToronto simple, but far more complex with a myriad of inputs, requirements, influences, policies, rules, regulations…..

The link below is an outlook/opinion piece on Canadian Agriculture in 2024. It’s not the be all or the definitive piece on the subject, but not a bad overview, certainly worth a few minutes of your time.

From the Country Guide, the piece is entitled ‘Opportunities Abound , What's in store for Canadian Agriculture in 2024’. https://www.country-guide.ca/features/opportunities-ahead/

Back