News   Aug 30, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 532     0 

Ideas for funding the TTC?

TTC Funding: The Metropass is doing fine,but...

Everyone: I read about the TTC funding situation and thought about the popularity of the Metropass - is it too good as some think? The TTC knows full well about the success of the Metropass but I wonder if anyone knows just how transferable is it?

Two examples I can think of is the Unlimited Metrocard in NYC - which is transferable- the only restrictions is that it is not valid at the same subway station or bus route for 18 minutes after it is used to prevent pass-back abuse.
The other are SEPTA(Philadelphia)passes which have gender stickers - a green M or orange F is applied and have a similar lockout to the NYC Metrocards.

Putting some controls and restrictions on Metropasses may be the way to go but eliminating their use altogether - NO WAY! Too many riders depend on them!

A good example of congestion pricing is London's: www.cclondon.com/
if Toronto were to look into that way to fund mass transit.
Thoughts from LI MIKE

Last edited:
Gender sticker problems...

Kettal: Yes-I do remember hearing of a court case brought on by a transgendered individual over SEPTA's use of those stickers a couple of years back. I do not know about the outcome,though-SEPTA continues to mark their passes this way...LI MIKE

To make card-sharing more difficult. A guy walks in with a girl sticker on his metropass, they know he's not the owner and isn't entitled to it's use.

To make card-sharing more difficult. A guy walks in with a girl sticker on his metropass, they know he's not the owner and isn't entitled to it's use.
So if your spouse is the same-sex you are, you can share; but if your hetrosexual you can't? Very progressive ... but completely bizarre.

Why not just use photo ID and a signature, if you don't want pass sharing.

Because it's a lot easier to simply issue a sticker saying your gender than to take a photo and put it on your card, or register your signature. Getting a photo taken takes at least a day of preparation, and a signature can't be verified unless you put it into a database, which makes it inaccessible to busses, inconvenient for subways, etc.

It doesn't make a huge amount of sense, but it'll deter some people from sharing metropasses.

Because it's a lot easier to simply issue a sticker saying your gender than to take a photo and put it on your card, or register your signature. Getting a photo taken takes at least a day of preparation, and a signature can't be verified unless you put it into a database, which makes it inaccessible to busses, inconvenient for subways, etc.

It doesn't make a huge amount of sense, but it'll deter some people from sharing metropasses.

Why? At the ski hill they can turn around a photo ID pass that doubles as an on hill credit card in less than 5 minutes.

Are you saying this is beyond the ability of the TTC? You could even do it at automated kiosks, where a webcam takes your photo, software makes sure it can see a face, and it is printed right there on the pass.

You can definitely do photos for passes pretty quickly now, but the effort it takes to enforce isn't likely to be worth it. Especially considering that the Metropass isn't really marked down very much at all (Equivalent of ~40 cash fares).

I've said it before

So I'll say it again! :p

Let's get rid of age-discrimination in fares.

A bum in a seat is a bum in a seat.

Not to mention the huge advantages:

1) no photos, no enforcement, completely automated fare sales and collection.

2) major financial savings

3) simplicity of branding/marketing

4) Raising fares on kids is the easiest raise as they are the least likely riders to leave the system. Reducing fares on adults, the most discretionary riders, is likely to induce several times more ridership; as......when mommy and daddy ride, so does junior. Where as the reverse is by no means a given.

I would propose this fare structure:

$3.00 cash
$2.00 per token when purchased in units of 10 (ie. 10 for $20) *
$100.00 per month for a metropass (monthly purchase)
$95.00 per month for a metropass (annual purchase)

* student/senior fares are currently $1.85 each so this is not a stretch.

** as a bonus all fares should be 2-hour time-based, which is rewards short-haul (lower cost) riders; and accommodates most long-haul riders.
If you actually need more than 2 hours you should pay extra!

Now we must charge 'road riders' a fare, just like transit riders. aka. a toll.

This is the other key.

The easiest way is to electronically toll the 400-series highways and equivalents (Gardiner/DVP) local tolling is more complex, best done by GPS and involves serious privacy issues.

A toll no more or less than a TTC ride (cash) for basic entry would work, $3.00 each way, + a per km charge as opposed to time-based.

People purchasing a transponder, like those with a metropass get discount on the basic fee:

So it could be $150.00 per month for unlimited free way entry. (one car only)

That's my .03 cents

:D

TTC never seemed to have a problem making photo IDs in 5 minutes or so ... I'm sure many people still have their TTC photo card, with signature, somewhere.

TTC Metropass Photo ID cards...

NF: On two of my 80s trips I purchased TTC photo ID cards at the Sherbourne Station-neat souvenirs if you ask me! When did the TTC discontinue the use of them for the regular Metropass? LI MIKE

Why not have a Tim Hortons at some stations at platform level? Its a crazy idea, but the money the TTC can generate off of people desperate for coffee would be more of a better idea than cutting service or raising fares to balance the budget.

NF: On two of my 80s trips I purchased TTC photo ID cards at the Sherbourne Station-neat souvenirs if you ask me! When did the TTC discontinue the use of them for the regular Metropass? LI MIKE
2 years ago.

The reason was that bus drivers don't have the time to inspect everyone's photo to make sure it's them. Now one metropass can be used by multiple people.

Why not have a Tim Hortons at some stations at platform level? Its a crazy idea, but the money the TTC can generate off of people desperate for coffee would be more of a better idea than cutting service or raising fares to balance the budget.

But only on the platforms that are big enough to handle one without making crowds even more dangerous... It would probably make TTC into the wealthiest landlord in the city ;)

Back