News   Mar 28, 2024
 992     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 555     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

Hyatt Regency Toronto Airport (Regal Constellation site)

This week - the old tower is SOLID. It's going to take a while to bring her down! I am amazed by the fact that they somehow put a backhoe on the roof and are systematically destroying each floor UNDERNEATH the machine! I'm sure they know what they are doing, but that would freak me out. What if more collapsed than they thought? (Actually you can see on the zoomed-in version where they have braced the floor under the backhoe with support posts.

How do they move the backhoe down to the next floor? I guess they destroy half the floor from the top, then use a ramp of rubble to move the backhoe down to the floor below then destroy the last half from below. I have not stood there long enough to see...

October2011_091a.jpg

October2011_091b.jpg

Last edited:
Well! From a distance I had assumed there was nothing left...this makes me...oddly happy. :) thank you for sharing the pic

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a real shame to see this one go. I have fond memories of going there with my family when I was young for their incredible Sunday Brunch and a dip in that exotic pool! (to a little kid, a pool with an island, a bridge, palm trees and a view of the dining room was very exotic)

Looks like they are going ahead with the hotel.

1020 MARTIN GROVE RD
Site Plan Approval 11 326102 WET 02 SA Ward 02
- Etob. York Dec 14, 2011 --- --- --- ---
Proposal to construct a new (12) storey hotel.

I wonder which chain will be going in on Martin Grove. In an industrial area there north of Dixon, it's likely one of the cheaper ones. Any Motel 6 bear the airport for example? Hampton Inn? Anyone hear anything?

some disappointing news....from a reliable source, this property has been sold to Park'n'Fly, and will be used as a surface parking lot...there will be no new hotel here...

I wonder which chain will be going in on Martin Grove. In an industrial area there north of Dixon, it's likely one of the cheaper ones. Any Motel 6 bear the airport for example? Hampton Inn? Anyone hear anything?

well..this way nothing will ever replace the Regal's space in the skyline..which could be a good thing or a bad thing, because right now to those of us who noticed it, there's a gaping hole :( but seeing some lame hotel chain with generic construction replacing the spot could be worse..i really don't know!

Back