News   Apr 24, 2024
 555     0 

Health Canada says no level of alcohol is safe

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Molson Coors can't be happy.

I'm in my early 50s and drink perhaps four beers a month in the warmer months, switching to maybe four glasses of red wine a month in the winter. Often I drink no alcohol at all as I hate spending money. How much booze are you all drinking, and have you changed your consumption rate?

I'll stay dry for weeks and even months, then binge on a Friday or Saturday. I don't know if that's healthy, lol.

Someone tell Keith Richards this ASAP! lol

This won't change my consumption rate. I drink only on weekends but i also eat healthy, exercise regularly and watch my weight. I still treat my self to junk food once a month. I'm perfectly healthy. Everything is fine in moderation.

Rising obesity rates and increased reliance on fast/processed foods with known carcinogens is far a bigger threat to us than a few drinks. Where is the warnings for McDonald's? sugary soda's like Pepsi? We shouldn't continue to try and ignore the dangers of obesity for fear of offending.

We almost always have a bottle of wine on the table at dinner. Today, for instance, I am making a salmon salad, with greens, lime and herbs, and I will get probably a falanghina to go with it. Wine is as old as civilization and I see it as a food product, not an alcohol vector. It must be my French background! That said, I am fully aware that it isn't particularly healthy. (On the other hand, I am a tea drinker, and I read another story today saying a couple of cups of green tea a day reduces the risk of premature death from all causes by several percentage points... I wonder if that cancels wine's ill effects?)

My mother ate well, and never smoked nor drank in her entire life. Nevertheless, she was afflicted with arthritis for 40 years, spent the last 8 years of her life in a care home, and died of neglect a week after being admitted in a Québec LTC home after surgery to correct a failed procedure she got years before. There is no way to know what awaits us.

Someone tell Keith Richards this ASAP! lol

This won't change my consumption rate. I drink only on weekends but i also eat healthy, exercise regularly and watch my weight. I still treat my self to junk food once a month. I'm perfectly healthy. Everything is fine in moderation.

Rising obesity rates and increased reliance on fast/processed foods with known carcinogens is far a bigger threat to us than a few drinks. Where is the warnings for McDonald's? sugary soda's like Pepsi? We shouldn't continue to try and ignore the dangers of obesity for fear of offending.
Deadliest thing in my house is the clock.

Weekend drinking is fine. Everything in moderation

Dont listen to Health Canada, they are clueless.

Alcohol is a carcinogen, so it is literally correct that no level of consumption is "safe". There is no "zero-risk" drinking, and I think they are simply trying to get that message across better than they are now.
I believe that's actually been the position of some medical associations for many years and Health Canada is only catching up to them. Most Cancer Societies in the world have said it's best to not drink at all for a long time, but then had a "but if you do..." clause. Health Canada appears until now to have never done the "best not to drink at all" part and only gone with the exception clause.

I don’t drink at all and have no plans doing so. I am teetotal my entire life. It’s for health reasons given that I have the Asian flush syndrome.

A Korean friend of mine had that. He said he lacked the stomach enzyme that converts alcohol.
Great guy though, he was often available as our designated driver 👍

Who should we listen too then?
Listen to your own common sense. If Keith Richards can make it to 78 while being a drunk and having done enough drugs to kill a small horse, its probably okay to drink once in a while in moderation.

My mom drinks 2 or 3 glasses of red wine every night and she's almost 80 years old and in pretty good health.
I drink on the weekends. I'm in my 40's, and aside having Irritable Bowl Syndrome I too am in good health

Back