404     0 

Grenade launcher thrown from balcony

D

dan e 1980

Grenade launcher thrown from balcony
Jan. 5, 2006. 06:23 PM
CURTIS RUSH
STAFF REPORTER THESTAR.COM

Toronto police say that someone threw a military-style grenade launcher off a North York balcony during a weapons search yesterday.

Three men face 25 charges after police seized eight firearms and drugs at an apartment building on Chalkfarm Drive, in the Wilson Ave and Highway 400 area.

The drug squad was conducting a search of the apartment when they saw and seized a .308-calibre rifle, two imitation Uzi machineguns, three imitation handguns and two imitation assault rifles.

In addition, several rounds of ammunition were seized and a quantity of cocaine, marijuana and cash was taken.

Police also seized video and camera equipment.

Police say that during the search, one of the accused threw a military-style grenade launcher off the balcony. This weapon was seized and police are investigating its origin.

Staff Insp. Wayne Pye of the drug squad told thestar.com this afternoon that the discovery of the grenade-launcher "caught my eye" when he learned of it.

"I don't know what you do with those things."

Asked if this was an imitation firearm, he said: "No, it looks like the real thing."

He said his squad has turned over the hardware to the Guns and Gangs Task Force for inspection. Often in these cases, the military is called in to inspect the arms.

Pye said that however odd and dangerous it is, the grenade launcher is not the most unusual item police have seized over the years and Pye has been with the force for 33 years.

"It used to be more common 25 years ago, after the war, when people would turn in things like bombs that they found in a garage or shed. War veterans would take them home as souvenirs from the war. And I remember one time a motorcycle gang used a rocket launcher to blast through the door of another gang."

Charged with various drug and weapons offences are Nigel Jack, 24, and Matthew Allen, 21, of Toronto and Troy Bennett, 20, of Brampton.

Jack was also charged with possession of proceeds of crime.

All of the accused were scheduled to appear in court today.

Meantime, police arrested two other people and laid a total of 52 charges after another eight firearms were seized after what began as a routine patrol in Scarborough.

Officers were patrolling McLevin Park, in the Markham Rd. and Sheppard Ave. E. area, and approached two people sitting in a car. After a few words were exchanged, the officers smelled what they thought to be marijuana, police said.

The two people, a man and a woman, were arrested and the car was searched. Inside, police found three firearms and ammunition.

Two of the firearms were found to have been stolen in a break-and-enter in Caldeon, police said today.

The investigation took officers to an apartment building on Jane St. where officers found four handguns and a rifle.

Christopher Howell, 20, and Roseann Persaud, 22, both of Toronto, made court appearances yesterday.

WTF? :eek

are we gonna have to start worrying about RPG's now?

Those Chalkfarm apartments are scary. There's always dozens of people staring down from their balconies whenever you walk by.

I just wonder how long these punks will get punished for. Probably a slap on the wrist. Maybe 6 months tops. These gun crimes should be getting minimum 15 years at least.

Toronto, you looking for the roots of violence? You've found it.

You know, if these weren't run-of-the-mill punks, but Wahhibist dudes with maps of the subway and videos of them seeking 72 virgins, we would be calling this a major terrorist operation. I truly think it's time to change our conception of the problem and look at it from a national security point of view. If these were Al-Qaeda operatives caught with the exact same weapons, you can bet they would be subject to harsher penalties under anti-terrorism legislation.

It's not unreasonable that the penalties for terrorist-related weapons charges would be higher, given that the weapons are generally intended to kill large numbers of innocent civilians.

I should clarify, however, that I'm all for harsher penalties for criminal activity.

Then there's the good old fashioned pelting with eggs...
hen.jpg

Back