319     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 682     0 

Green Party of Canada: Leadership Race

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
While rather unlikely to form the next government; the Greens are on the verge of relevancy at the Federal level.

Subject to whether the next parliament is again a minority; the next leader of the Green may be in position to influence the future of our country.

So it seems apt to pay some attention to their leadership race. A race where there are actually some credible candidates, unlike the sad lot running for the Federal Conservatives.

First note: There will be a leadership debate, held in two-parts this week, as they party has 10 candidates.

TVO will live-stream via Periscope, Facebook and Youtube; on June 23rd, that's tomorrow!

They will also broadcast the debate part 1 that same evening; and the second debate the following night on the 24th.

Debate one will feature Judy Green, Amita Kuttner, David Merner, Glen Murray and Annamie Paul.

Debate two will feature Meryam Haddad, Courtney Howard, Dimitri Lascaris, Dylan Perceval-Maxwell and Andrew West.

Where to Livestream the Debate on June 23, 2020
Twitter: @TheAgenda
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheAgenda/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/AgendaStevePaikin

Now to list off the Candidates:

1592837179623.png

Annamie Paul

annamiepaul.ca

1592837207894.png

David Merner

davidmerner.com

1592837235383.png

Amita Kuttner

amitakuttner.ca

1592837259860.png

Glen Murray

green-glen.ca

1592837287585.png

]
Dylan Perceval-Maxwell

dylanperceval-maxwell.ca

continued in next post.

Having skimmed the photos/bios/platform ideas (where applicable), I offer the following thoughts.

1) Diverse slate, 10 Candidates, 5 women, 3 visible minority candidates.

2) Overall slate probably leans left within the Green Party context; though hard to tell with some who have not been very policy-specific.

3) With the diverse candidates, including a healthy age-range; there are actually a range of policy ideas on offer. Some would garner wide appeal; others would likely sink in a Federal campaign; but interesting see the basis of a real policy debate.

4) Across most candidates who detailed policy the most common ideas were Green Party staples, electoral reform, free post-secondary tuition and some form of guaranteed income.

5) Most radical idea, abolishing prisons that would be in Kuttner's platform.

6) Most amorphous statements coming from the former Liberal Glenn Murray who as usual seems to be able to say a lot about nothing in particular.

Last edited:
I was just reading the simple bios listed on Green Party's site.

One thing I noticed is that there is a lot of lawyers running, which if nothing else, will mean the debates will be quite fun to watch I guess.

I’m happy to see diversity among their slate. Traditionally their support is VERY white. Every election they barely make a blip in diverse communities like Scarborough and Brampton.

Glen Murray is an unrelenting turncoat. He was an NDPer as mayor of Winnipeg, unsuccessfully ran for the Federal Liberals in Manitoba, moved to Ontario to run for the Provincial Libs, and now is a Green. He’s also a well known hot head and bully.

Looks like the race is between Paul and Lascaris

Looks like the race is between Paul and Lascaris

Annamie Paul winning the leadership could be a blow to the NDP.

Traditionally the Greens run on a mushy "Not Left, not Right, but Forward" plank, but a party led by Paul would definitely pull the party leftward.

It's a myth that the Greens (historically) mostly take votes from the NDP. I've seen polls in previous elections that have the NDP and Liberals even as Green voters' "second choice." The Greens also win a significant percentage of their support from traditional non-voters.

Annamie Paul winning the leadership could be a blow to the NDP.

Traditionally the Greens run on a mushy "Not Left, not Right, but Forward" plank, but a party led by Paul would definitely pull the party leftward.

It's a myth that the Greens (historically) mostly take votes from the NDP. I've seen polls in previous elections that have the NDP and Liberals even as Green voters' "second choice." The Greens also win a significant percentage of their support from traditional non-voters.
Actually, I'm hearing more of that "NDP proxy" party line about Lascaris.

Imagine last summer thinking the Green Leadership Race would be more chaotic than the Conservative's.

From the article:

1601572635662.png

Crap...............where did I leave that 10k? Is it in the drawer............or under my pillow.........or in the jacket I wore yesterday...............

Oh @#$$ that's right..........it wasn't 10k.......I had another 5k in the change purse............now where did that go?

Back