News   Apr 18, 2024
 645     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.6K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

F59s are certified for up to 10 coaches but it's definitely unusual. A 10 car train with only one F59 must take forever to accelerate.

I assume (hope) it was just an temporary situation rather than a change in policy.
They are probably short on F59's. They used to haul 10 cars all the time before the MP40's came. Plus it's not like the London route is very fast anyway.

They had 3 F59s (562, 563, 564) on solo 6 car consists before this.

As well as 557-561 and 558-560 doubleheader consists for the London.

559 was acting as a switcher at Willowbrook.
Maybe they are short on motive power in general? Maybe more MP40PH'S are in the shop than normal? But I guess considering that all 12 car trains require an MP40 those short trains are the only place they can use the F59PH locomotives.

Regarding the London train they use two locomotives incase of a problem. If one locomotive has an issue and has to come back dead in tow are they expecting the single locomotive to haul 12 cars and the dead loco back to Toronto? I was under the impression that they can only provide HEP and tractive effort for 10 cars. So would they Isolate two cars and disable the HEP to get home? How would that work?

Regarding the London train they use two locomotives incase of a problem. If one locomotive has an issue and has to come back dead in tow are they expecting the single locomotive to haul 12 cars and the dead loco back to Toronto? I was under the impression that they can only provide HEP and tractive effort for 10 cars. So would they Isolate two cars and disable the HEP to get home? How would that work?
The London train only has 10 cars so that would not be an issue.

The F59s are fine, it has nothing to do with them.

There has apparently been an edict made that prevents all trains from running with 2 locomotives at the head end. It seems that it doesn't preclude locos at both ends however, but GO hasn't yet had the opportunity to turn some of them around to use them as such.

I'm still trying to find out what exactly has caused this, and whether it affects VIA or UPX as well.

Dan

There has apparently been an edict made that prevents all trains from running with 2 locomotives at the head end. It seems that it doesn't preclude locos at both ends however, but GO hasn't yet had the opportunity to turn some of them around to use them as such.

I'm still trying to find out what exactly has caused this, and whether it affects VIA or UPX as well.

Interesting. I don't see anything obvious within recent Transportation Safety Board investigations.

Could it be as simple as distributing the weight to for bridge loads?

Dan
so does this mean the London Train will run under an L10L consist formation?

Interesting. I don't see anything obvious within recent Transportation Safety Board investigations.

Could it be as simple as distributing the weight to for bridge loads?
Potentially.

But this is system-wide - not just for the London trains - and I can't think of what bridge may be in such dire straits as to require this kind of limitation.

so does this mean the London Train will run under an L10L consist formation?
It sounds like that's what they're trying to get set up for.

Dan

I’m still left wondering why there was a sudden ban on doubleheader passenger trains, and who orchestrated this edict?

I’m still left wondering why there was a sudden ban on doubleheader passenger trains, and who orchestrated this edict?
But when breaking in a locomotive they have two at the head end.

So I presume non corridor trains like the Canadian are exempt?

Could it be an emissions compliance thing?

I doubt it. Seems as though multiple locomotives are still allowed on one train, but they are just not allowed to be situated right next to each other on the consist.
But the Canadian requires multiple locomotives for their consist. Is that an exception?

Back