News   Apr 16, 2024
 46     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 320     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 681     0 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

go train running at subway frequency feels so weird lol

I know people in Burlington who essentially use the GO train as a subway equivalent at rush hour already. The Lakeshore line trains run approximately every 15 minutes. They take a Burlington city bus to the GO station at one end of the city, hop on a GO train and travel across the city in a few minutes (without even needing to check the train schedule), and then take a bus from the GO station to their destination.

It's as if Burlington already has a subway line at rush hour. The effects of frequent all-day bi-directional GO service are actually quite impressive in terms of reducing car reliance all across the region and bringing rapid transit to more places.

I love this quote from the Passenger Movement Modelling Plan:
"It is important to note that the Train Service Plan which dictates the train schedule, train placement and passenger demand, is still in a conceptual form and is likely subject to change as the ONxpress design phases advance. It is the best indication available to USEP but creates a challenge for a project that is relying on conceptual design inputs to govern a design that has already initiated construction works."

Fortunately, "The USEP is the first major project in Canada to be procured as an alliance contract. The model was chosen as it is addresses risk more constructively and collaboratively, provides greater transparency and co-operative decision-making".

This article & video is from 2016. Did ML figure out a work around for this issue?

The context of this project application do not appear to address the shed and its existing platforms. The new platforms on the south will include canopies and no roof over tracks. Documents show overhead catenary to be installed on top of platform canopies. Nothing to address the platforms in the shed yet, I would imagine these southmost tracks will be the first electrified and used for the Lakeshore line(s).

See cross section of new south platforms:
1713208970285.png

The OCS is not shown in this render but you can see where the walls of the shed will be trimmed:
Screenshot 2024-04-15 123724.png

Back