News   Mar 28, 2024
 355     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 363     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 711     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Agreed, thanks Paul. I think Metrolinx needs to figure out Silver now.
In March 2022 Metrolinx began expropriating land on both sides of the Halton Sub between Winston Churchill Blvd. and the Credit River bridge. They've made no announcement on what the land is for but, given that the Heritage Layover Yard is to the east of WCB and Brampton's proposed Heritage Road station would be further east, the only "Kitchener Line Extension" facility proposed between WCB and Georgetown GO Station is the "Silver" grade-separation.

We'll probably have to wait until the next provincial election approaches for an announcement.

We'll probably have to wait until the next provincial election approaches for an announcement.

One would think that a well informed government would appreciate that without tackling the Halton Sub, they will never be able to announce a big step forward for Kitchener service. And would realize that any interim announcement of marginally upgraded service will only drive home questions about when the bigger improvements will happen, and why are they taking so long……

My conspiracy theory mind can generate many possible speculations.., eg maybe if Ottawa is serious about HFR West, perhaps if we wait they will pay for it…. or, maybe we should wait and see if Oncorr can figure out a cheaper plan…. or, maybe Oncorr will have more luck negotiating with CN…. or, we have to wait and finish negotiating with Brampton about their downtown transit infrastructure…. or, yeah, it’s enough money in total to be worthy election fodder….

Mostly I would be happiest if it were already in motion.

- Paul

^ Almost asked what WCB was and then I realized it's Winston Churchill Boulevard.
It could be this also workmen compensation board. Love those short letter accruement's when you are not on top of them nor use them.

The old James Street station is beautiful, and I wish it never stopped being a train station. But sadly history took it from us, and we have the new West Harbour Station which is a fine station which serves its purpose well.

The two track setup is plenty of capacity for medium term services. Trains won’t need to turn at West Harbour (which eats capacity), as all West Harbour services will terminate or start at Confederation (as far as we know). If extra capacity was ever needed (let’s pretend VIA ran some West Harbour-Ottawa trains), an additional platform could be added to the north end of the station to serve the south CN track.

I understand why GO has focused resources in the short term on West Harbour. It is because you have the future Confederation, Grimsby, and Beamsville stations, and the existing St. Catherines, and Niagara Falls stations after it. Much more logical to invest in this Lakeshore West branch than to Hamilton GO centre, which doesn’t have an easy extension option for it.

Hamilton GO Centre deserves better service to serve downtown Hamilton, absolutely. It should be the 15 min or better electric service terminus. Yes, that’s a big project to get done, but serving the downtown would be a huge development boost. In the near term however, serving West Harbour and Niagara makes more sense, as you can provide more communities with GO service with limited infrastructure dollars.

Part of making West Harbour more workable and connected to the downtown is Hamilton Street Railway boosting bus service to the station. It should be much better than it is today. A Hamilton LRT spur to West Harbour (which was abandoned in the plans) which interlines with the proposed LRT route to McMaster U would also be nice.
So will VIA be allowed to use west harbour GO when the connecting track is completed?

So will VIA be allowed to use west harbour GO when the connecting track is completed?
I was entering fantasy territory when I mentioned VIA in my post, but from a capacity standpoint I cannot see how VIA wouldn’t be able to serve the station. I am a big proponent of stopping Amtrak’s Maple Leaf (operated by VIA in Canada) here. Yes, it’s close to Aldershot but on a 12 plus hour journey what’s a few extra mins if it drives more ridership?

I think the logic of serving Aldershot is to facilitate transfers to VIA’s southwest services. But realistically I’m not sure how many, if any, people do that transfer. Agree that if I had to pick one, it would be West Harbour.

I think the logic of serving Aldershot is to facilitate transfers to VIA’s southwest services. But realistically I’m not sure how many, if any, people do that transfer. Agree that if I had to pick one, it would be West Harbour.
You need both as they service 2 different market's. If one wants to nick pick, Mississauga should have a station based on its size alone considering it larger than Oakville.

You need wheels to do either Oakville and Aldershot as its over 90 minute travel time from Mississauga using Transit/GO to get to either Oakville or Toronto. It takes me 90-120 minutes to get to/from Oakville depending transfers connection when I have used VIA. It is also shorter and cheaper than going to Union Stations and avoiding the long lineup to get on the train as well.

Those using VIA to go west from Aldershot from the Maple Leaf can transfer at Aldershot, but requires an overnight stay to catch the Maple Leaf going to the US.

Again, those using transit in Hamilton need over an hour extra travel time getting to/from Aldershot for the Windsor Line and the Maple Leaf line. There is no good option other than Aldershot for the Windsor Line riders other than going all the way to Toronto to back track. West Harbour would offer better connection for riders going to/from Hamilton to/from Niagara Falls and the US for Hamilton riders.

You need both as they service 2 different market's. If one wants to nick pick, Mississauga should have a station based on its size alone considering it larger than Oakville.

You need wheels to do either Oakville and Aldershot as its over 90 minute travel time from Mississauga using Transit/GO to get to either Oakville or Toronto. It takes me 90-120 minutes to get to/from Oakville depending transfers connection when I have used VIA. It is also shorter and cheaper than going to Union Stations and avoiding the long lineup to get on the train as well.

Those using VIA to go west from Aldershot from the Maple Leaf can transfer at Aldershot, but requires an overnight stay to catch the Maple Leaf going to the US.

Again, those using transit in Hamilton need over an hour extra travel time getting to/from Aldershot for the Windsor Line and the Maple Leaf line. There is no good option other than Aldershot for the Windsor Line riders other than going all the way to Toronto to back track. West Harbour would offer better connection for riders going to/from Hamilton to/from Niagara Falls and the US for Hamilton riders.
We need another layer of services. GO trains every hour from Niagara making all stops is great. But we need something that is local from Niagara to west Harbour and then express to Burlington and then express to Port Credit and then next stop Union. VIA type services would be faster since those trains can hit 100mph in the corridor, but 80mph GO train is still faster than the QEW.

Tha

Thank you for advocating for a via station in Mississauga. Mississauga is big enough I shouldn’t have to head east in order to head west. Or actually maybe I just want to go east. I should be able to do that from Mississauga instead of having to start the journey at union station.

Tha

Thank you for advocating for a via station in Mississauga. Mississauga is big enough I shouldn’t have to head east in order to head west. Or actually maybe I just want to go east. I should be able to do that from Mississauga instead of having to start the journey at union station.
Need transfers with the LRT. Also Long Branch is another one for consideration but is not wheel chair accessible.

Via Rail does not exist in a vacuum so the size of the city is not a direct proof that Via should stop there.

The Lakeshore West line already operated every 15 minutes or better all day in 2021, and we can only expect frequency to improve from there. The inconvenience to passengers of having to ride a GO train a couple stops is minor, as long as fares are integrated.

Once the Hurontario LRT opens it may be worthwhile for Via to serve Port Credit but we also need to keep in mind the importance of average speed for intercity services. If Via did add Port Credit it could be that some trains stop there while others stop at Oakville.

Via trains stop in Oakville. You do not need to head east to head west.

All-day GO express trains should (and probably will) stop at Port Credit rather than Clarkson due to its far superior transit connections. That would help speed up transit access from Mississauga to Union for people heading east on Via.

Last edited:

Back