News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 848     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

There are at least two between Steeles and the 401.

That's where they could gain some more speed.

Even Queen Street I rather take the GO.
I'm not sure why you may think that a bridge is an impediment to train speed. It's absolutely not.

The real issue is the curvature of the line, and due to it having to climb about 225 feet in 7 and a half miles track miles (but in only 5.35 miles as the crow flies). If only there weren't those pesky hills in the way....

It is this reason why it is exceedingly difficult-to-impossible to improve times on the Richmond Hill Line, and no other reason.

Dan

Exhibition Station construction, south side, from the GO.
5D26EB94-DB04-465E-8579-136CC905D587.jpeg

Isn't there a tunnel? Why do they need a walkway?
The tunnel is dangerously over-capacity during event at BMO Field. Lots of people are missing GO trains because they can't move through the tunnel. There's definite plans for a second tunnel, and possibly a third - though that might be on hold in lieu of the overpass.

This temporary overpass (just east of the main station) is part of the Ontario subway line construction. There'll be times when the current tunnel is closed during construction of the new station.

The new station will include a permanent overpass with access to all four GO platforms and the two Ontario Line platforms.

1678000943606.png

I believe the plan now is for two tunnels and the new main station building rendered above - the existin tunnel, another tunnel further east on the platforms, then the new station building, which is intended to handle most passenger volumes.

I believe the plan now is for two tunnels and the new main station building rendered above - the existin tunnel, another tunnel further east on the platforms, then the new station building, which is intended to handle most passenger volumes.
In someone dream world.

There needs to be another west tunnel wider than the current one, one east to the GO platform and OL only, as it would interfere with TTC loop unless some major change stake place with a connection to the Ex.. Need a pile of elevators for OL at each end of the stations to the tunnels with ramps at the end f the tunnels in place of elevators.

The current tunnel been an issue since day one.

Marr 7
Had to pickup the son and granddaughter at Hamilton Airport on Tuesday and took a look at Confederation Station.

CN has moved their mainlines to the north bridges while trenches are being built for various utilize on both side of the track. CN roadbed has been removed for these trenches and looks like an tunnel will be built there as well to service a new GO Parking lot on the southside from what I was seeing.

The north area has been fully level as well with trenches.

Photos could be up later this month or early April.

Was going to look at a few other things, but didn't have the time nor there was light to shot them. Hope to get a look at them next Tuesday when I take them back to the airport.

Some West Harbour tie-in track pics from today. Excavation of the James Street bridge has begun to reinforce the columns.
I understand why two way all day/through service to Hamilton has to be on the CN mainline, but man I wish there was some (realistic) way to move it to Hamilton Centre. That building just has far more history and character than the couple of elevators bolted to a bridge feel of West Harbour station, and it's much better located too.

I understand why two way all day/through service to Hamilton has to be on the CN mainline, but man I wish there was some (realistic) way to move it to Hamilton Centre. That building just has far more history and character than the couple of elevators bolted to a bridge feel of West Harbour station, and it's much better located too.

FWIW, I'm hoping for both, one day.

30M or better service to Hamilton GO Centre (downtown); and the same for West Harbour, with the service merging to every 15M or better from Aldershot to the east.

To be a bit more fanciful, one could use the old belt line route and have the services re-merge to Niagara potentially; though in a world with such budgets, following the CP Mainline to Niagara via Welland might make more sense.

But all that latter stuff is a bit blue-sky'ish; the former should be entirely feasible with a bit of work.

Back