News   Mar 28, 2024
 288     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 256     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 292     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

.. would be nice if they rebuilt those old stairs off of the main st bridge that was torn down 20 years ago
On the northeast corner of the bridge? It's still there, it's just been gated off with a sign on the gate.

View from top of bridge
1677397463055.png

View from bottom
1677397526119.png

On the northeast corner of the bridge? It's still there, it's just been gated off with a sign on the gate.

View from top of bridge
View attachment 458566

View from bottom
View attachment 458567
In Toronto, the automobile gets a higher priority than the pedestrian. No funds for those stairs, but there is money for the Gardiner Expressway.

Shame the west entrance to the residential area was eliminated from the design. NIMBYS struck again, but more surprising Metrolinx gave in. Noticed they always listen to NIMBYS in York Region.
To be fair, the only losers are the NIMBYs themselves. Don't want a station entrance? Be my guest, you're just losing out.

In Toronto, the automobile gets a higher priority than the pedestrian. No funds for those stairs, but there is money for the Gardiner Expressway.
Not sure this prevents pedestrian access... Seems to me it was more about safety, but I couldn't find a reference; and the sign mentions emergency personnel access only when I passed yesterday. They did build a ramp after all so I'm not sure having stairs changes much; south of the bridge I believe you can access the station from Ted reeve or little York Rd.

To be fair, the only losers are the NIMBYs themselves. Don't want a station entrance? Be my guest, you're just losing out.
Ya I agree, but in the future that opportunity will be gone as the populations changes. Im hoping they future proof it so it could be added later, but don't think they did so.

Ya I agree, but in the future that opportunity will be gone as the populations changes. Im hoping they future proof it so it could be added later, but don't think they did so.
It almost certainly can. It's a side platform station, it's not like you're going to need to construct a brand new tunnel. If you want something cheap, you can always just build some stairs and a ramp up to the southbound platform.

Is there direct access to the south platform from those townhouses?
No. The issue that arose during the consultation process iirc is that the locals were concerned that Lindenshire Ave would be clogged up by people dropping each other off at the station: that's why the entrance was removed. Having a direct access to a platform doesn't change much.

Guess there is no money available to cover the steps with a roof.

img_5276-scaled.jpg
From link.

For whatever reason the TTC uses slippery surfaces at all of their stations to help people fall down the stairs and break a bunch of bones. And I even after rebuilding them decides to use the same slippery tiles.

No logic to it whatsoever.

For whatever reason the TTC uses slippery surfaces at all of their stations to help people fall down the stairs and break a bunch of bones. And I even after rebuilding them decides to use the same slippery tiles.

Isn't the discussion about the steps leading from the Danforth GO station to Main Street? What does this have to do with the TTC's choice of tiles?

Not sure this prevents pedestrian access... Seems to me it was more about safety, but I couldn't find a reference; and the sign mentions emergency personnel access only when I passed yesterday. They did build a ramp after all so I'm not sure having stairs changes much; south of the bridge I believe you can access the station from Ted reeve or little York Rd.

You can't access the station from the park, but yes, you can access the station via a path that parallels the tracks and connects Little York Rd. to Ted Reeve Dr.

Dan

I'm with @T3G for this being a rather tangential thought to the topic at hand; but I would then add, its also nonsense.

The TTC is rebuilding their staircases with anti-slip granite edging. It doesn't provide unlimited traction, particularly when wet, but its pretty good; for those not comfortable enough there are railings and soon, every station will have elevators.

The idea that the TTC is engaged in negligent staircase design is bizarre; any such contention should be supported by evidence, citations please.

From the Union (subway) station project report: (found here) https://ttc-cdn.azureedge.net/-/med...69e6d6e&hash=68F91302C7944882E786B6CCE86DF214

The stairs will be finished with granite tile in a dark grey colour contrasting the non-slip tread edges in a light grey colour to aid visual
differentiation. Tactile tile will be added at the top landings as per TTC standards

Last edited:

Back