News   Apr 24, 2024
 517     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 718     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 519     0 

Global aviation industry news

Boeing 737 cracks: Ryanair grounds three planes due to cracking between wing and fuselage

Exclusive: budget Irish carrier is the latest airline worldwide to be affected by ‘pickle fork’ cracking, but has not disclosed the problem

Naaman Zhou
Wed 6 Nov 2019 05.00 GMT Last modified on Wed 6 Nov 2019 05.03 GMT

I think this is normal wear and tear. Ryanair planes make far more take off and landings than most airlines, so they wear out their planes faster. Sounds like the system worked, with planes being inspected for wear, cracking found and planes grounded.

I think this is normal wear and tear. Ryanair planes make far more take off and landings than most airlines, so they wear out their planes faster. Sounds like the system worked, with planes being inspected for wear, cracking found and planes grounded.

Yes and no - the issue was caught, but my understanding is that they problem cropped up much earlier than expected.

AoD

When I fly, if I see it's a 737 Max I will rest easy, as surely no other aircraft then flying will have gone through so much inspection and review.

And you'd be the person who has more confidence in it than some of the crews operating the thing.

They may fix the stall protection system (MCAS). But it hasn't addressed so many the fundamental issues persisting as a result of grandfathering. Controls still run with cables instead of fly-by-wire. No redundancy (with multiple voting) on Angle of Attack sensors. Engines mounted in direct contravention of certification requirements for handling, resulting in aerodynamics at a high angle of attack that may exacerbate stall conditions.

Would I fly on it after certified? Sure. But I'll do my best to avoid it. If only because I want to show airlines in my small way, that I value my life more than the handful of dollars they saved buying a plane whose fundamental design is over a half century old.

A Boeing 777 lands safely back in Los Angeles after flames shoot from an engine

By Jason Hanna and Ryan Prior, CNN
Updated 9:22 AM EST, Fri November 22, 2019

Flames sparked intermittently from an engine on a Philippines-bound passenger jet as it took off from Los Angeles International Airport on Thursday morning, causing a few tense minutes for passengers until it landed safely back at the airport.

Boeing 777X fuselage split during September stress test

SeattleReuters
Published November 27, 2019

The way I've been reading the coverage, Boeing's initial response was that a cargo door failed, and since it 'almost' passed (99% of 1.5x over stress) then they consider it a pass. It seems the damage is more than first released. If the industry standard is 1.5, then a fail is a fail. One would think they would be a tad more sensitive to marginal performance these days.

from the Daily Mail:

1574997904663.png

United Airlines replaces Boeing jets with Airbus

The American airline plans to replace an aging fleet of Boeing aircraft with new, medium-range Airbus jets. The agreement between United and Airbus deals another blow to Boeing after its 737 Max controversy.

Air Canada ranked one of the worst major airlines for passenger satisfaction

Tyler Jadah | Dec 4 2019, 9:29 am

At least Air Canada doesn't break guitars or kick a Vietnamese-American pulmonologist out, unlike a certain non-divided airline.

Last edited:
I never found Air Canada to be awful, but it certainly doesn’t feel like a Flag Carrier.

Sort of bland, middle-of-the-trail stuff.

Bombardier building the world's "most advanced aircraft manufacturing" facility in Toronto

DH Toronto Staff | Dec 5 2019, 6:47 am

Bombardier has announced that it has signed a long-term lease with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) to build its new “state-of-the art Global Manufacturing Centre” at Toronto Pearson International Airport.

The first production is set to start in 2023, and Bombardier said “the cutting-edge facility will optimize final assembly operations for all Global business jets, including the industry flagship Global 7500 business jet.”

Canadian airlines to feel the pinch of Boeing 737 Max 8 production suspension

The Canadian Press December 17, 2019

Boeing fires CEO Muilenburg as 737 MAX crisis deepens

Business News
December 23, 2019

Back