News   Apr 17, 2024
 764     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 312     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Favourite Subway Stations - Test of the new polling abilities

What are your favourite favourite subway stations from this curated list?

• Kipling

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Old Mill

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Dufferin

• Spadina

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Castle Frank

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Pape

• Victoria Park

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Warden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kennedy

• North York Centre

• Sheppard-Yonge

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • York Mills

• Lawrence

• Davisville

• Bloor-Yonge

• Union

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Queen's Park

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Museum

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Dupont

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • St. Clair West

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Eglinton West

• Glencairn

• Yorkdale

• Downsview

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Bayview

• Leslie

• Don Mills

• Total voters

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
We have improved polling capabilities with our new software. This is a test of it.

Please choose your five favourites from this curated list!

In the thread below, you are invited to talk about your choices, and/or if any of your favourites was left off this list.

Have fun!

So I've placed the first four votes on this one myself… even though I've arbitrarily allowed for up to five. That's for a few reasons: 1) there were a number that I had a hard time choosing from to make my fifth choice, 2) this was created more to test our ability to have up to 30 choices in a poll now, 3 times as many as we used to be able to put in a poll, and as a bit of an academic exercise of the polling, it shouldn't be taken too seriously, and 3) I wanted to display some rebellion against the arbitrary choice of a top 5 and hopefully encourage some talk.

Of those I chose, I'll say…
• Old Mill: Not because it's my home station, but I should declare that (if my home station were Jane, I don't think a local bias would put it into my list), but because of the obvious: it's mostly on a bridge in the middle of a beautiful valley, and takes advantage of that fact through the windows.
• Dupont: It's looking very tired these days, but I've always loved the relentless tyranny of the orange circular tiles and the curved edges, but more so the mosaic flowers an two-storey high space. The station needs restoration work along with the mobility improvements currently taking place.
• Downsview: Love the tile work throughout, especially its restricted colour palette, love the arched station area which is vaguely cavern-like, and the bus terminal is one of the better ones on the system; airy, modern, appropriate its proximity to an airport (even if it's a pretty limited one).
• Bayview: Love Panya Clark Espinal's single perspective artworks throughout the angular spaces, which if you catch them from the right angle will pop out as 3D objects in space. It's next to impossible to find the right angle for some of them, however.

Of those I held off choosing as a fifth…
• Yorkdale: if Arc En Ciel were reinstalled, presumably with LEDs and modern controls this time, it would likely jump right up to the top of my list. Here's hoping that its reinstallation is made a matter of a Yorkdale Shopping Centre Expansion Section 37 benefit in the near future.
• Dufferin: The reworked main entrance and the new artwork throughout the station is a huge improvement, and has turned what was another drab Bloor-Danforth bathroom tile station into something inviting. I'm aware that purists don't want to see original tile designs lost.
• Kipling: not a beautiful station, and despite the clunkiness of renovations and expansions over the years, I still really like the vaults over the bus terminal, especially with reflected lighting at night.
• Eglinton West: here's hoping that once the Crosstown LRT stops finished and this station expanded, that some of the unkind renovations and lack of care from over the years are reversed. This is a beautiful station that needs some love.
• Union: I really like the new mural, which I suspect is more than most do. The moody, roughly sketched characters in Stuart Reid's art are the antithesis of cloying cuteness, and they have real soul. Love the depth of the colour in the glass, and the text is worth pondering when waiting for the train.

Of those I did not include with the 27 that appear…
I tried to include most stations that would appear in the average transit enthusiast's top five list, but I'd love to hear about ones that I missed and why they re on your list.

Of the stations not included, I would have also picked Queens Park and St. Patrick for looks and Bessarion because I'm antisocial.

Museum because it is obvious; Union because of the upgrade despite the horrible lack of seating; Eglinton West as you get a cell signal after being underground for so long.

For those not included, I'm a fan of Lawrence West. Unfortunately, you can't really experience its architecture from the train where you are instead exposed to some of the dirtiest walls on the entire system. The great tile artwork is can be enjoyed by drivers on the Allan Rd (but is invisible to subway riders). The interior of the station could use a decluttering and the elevators which have been added completely failed to conform to the architecture of the rest of the station.

55074101_9aaa83bb06_z.jpg

For those not included, I'm a fan of Lawrence West. Unfortunately, you can't really experience its architecture from the train where you are instead exposed to some of the dirtiest walls on the entire system. The great tile artwork is can be enjoyed by drivers on the Allan Rd (but is invisible to subway riders). The interior of the station could use a decluttering and the elevators which have been added completely failed to conform to the architecture of the rest of the station.

55074101_9aaa83bb06_z.jpg
Lawrence West would have been better if there were an automated entrance at Dell Park. Likewise, Eglinton West should have an automated entrance at Alburn.

It's a crime (a crime!) that Chester isn't on the list. I like it because there are never huge crowds, I find the green tiles peaceful, it has The Artist Newsstand, and it's located in my awesome neighbourhood. Let the fanboys fawn over other, lesser stations - Chester is like an exclusive party to which the rest of the city wishes they were invited.

Surprised more people haven't chosen Sheppard-Yonge for the roughed-in Spanish solution ;)

For the engineering aspect, sure. But I despise it for the Sheppard line subway-bus transfers (via Yonge line platform). Should the Sheppard line ever be extended west, I swear the train would be at Downsview quicker than it currently takes to walk to the 196 bus platform at Sheppard-Yonge. Though if an extension happens, w/b trains would stop on the north platform, negating the need to go down to the Yonge platform then back up to reach the concourse area towards the buses.

Last edited:
It's a crime (a crime!) that Chester isn't on the list. I like it because there are never huge crowds, I find the green tiles peaceful, it has The Artist Newsstand, and it's located in my awesome neighbourhood. Let the fanboys fawn over other, lesser stations - Chester is like an exclusive party to which the rest of the city wishes they were invited.
Now this makes me upset that I maybe only used Chester 2 or 3 times in my whole life, and it was probably the closest subway station to me. I used Broadview and Pape more because of the bus connections

Eglinton West is very much underrated. The interior spaces are among the best 1970s Modern spaces we have. The concrete ceiling is boldly coffered in a waffle-grid pattern. Concrete is used quite interestingly to create geometric "ribs" throughout the station. The floors are finished with bricks arranged in a herringbone pattern. The walls are also clad with fine bricks. The many backlit aluminium signs are wonderful--they harmonize with the modern architecture well.

Natural light floods the platform level, which has large windows. Massive panes of glass make the heavy concrete ceiling look like it's floating from the outside. There are many architectural skylights. There's a green roof. The way you can see cars zipping by onto the Allen through the windows gives the platform space a certain machine-age energy. And yet, even though you're looking out onto an expressway, there are big lawns and lots of trees. Arthur Erickson did a great job.

Eglinton West is very much underrated. The interior spaces are among the best 1970s Modern spaces we have. The concrete ceiling is boldly coffered in a waffle-grid pattern. Concrete is used quite interestingly to create geometric "ribs" throughout the station. The floors are finished with bricks arranged in a herringbone pattern. The walls are also clad with fine bricks. The many backlit aluminium signs are wonderful--they harmonize with the modern architecture well.

Natural light floods the platform level, which has large windows. Massive panes of glass make the heavy concrete ceiling look like it's floating from the outside. There are many architectural skylights. There's a green roof. The way you can see cars zipping by onto the Allen through the windows gives the platform space a certain machine-age energy. And yet, even though you're looking out onto an expressway, there are big lawns and lots of trees. Arthur Erickson did a great job.
They will be improved upon the station's renaming to Cedarvale:

cedarvale-station-north-end-southbound-platform-png.63994

cedarvale-station-north-end-northbound-platform-png.63995

cedarvale-station-entrance-png.63996

cedarvale-station-entrance-sign-png.63997

cedarvale-station-south-end-sign-png.64006

cedarvale-station-south-end-sign-closeup-png.64007

Having used Kennedy Station yesterday, I am bewildered as to who decided to vote for it. Hopefully all these transit plans in the works will mean a completely new Kennedy Station.

Back