News   Apr 18, 2024
 691     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.2K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Embassies in Syria torched

Turkey is the only democracy in that list. Egypt and Saudi Arabia aren't even close. Despite the backwardness of the Middle East, publishing cartoons that are guaranteed to incite a certain population is just stupid. Imagine the Toronto Sun publishing cartoons of Jamaican-Canadians running around with guns shooting people. Free speech isn't absolute.

It does show how fragile peace is in many parts of the world when an insulting drawing by one individual can cause such a massive response. Scary to think that the actions of one person on a planet of billions could cause everything to fall apart. Are we really living in a house of cards?

it's like we reached a boiling point. to use an analogy, it's like two gangs that have pissed eachother off in the past soo much that when one guy from one group walks by another guy and knocks off his hat, by accident or intentional, all hell breaks loose and innocent people die. i'd hate to think that the end of the world was caused by a cartoon.

religious extremeism, arrogant nationalism & greed are the the most dangerous elements on earth. they are a threat to human existance and a cancer on the human spirit.

it's like we reached a boiling point

For this reason I think we should close all embassies in the middle east for a month or so until things calm down.

i don't think that will help. it will just cause isolation & getting those embassies open again will be difficult plus they'll probably get destroyed if they're abandoned.

even though it's not denmarks fault, they should make a serious effort to try and fix things before they get worse.

when the invasion of iran begins, all this built up agression is
going to get really nasty. the theocratic governments have really instilled the element of hatred amongst people. religion is very dangerous to those that don't understand it and allow them selves to be used for an evil purpose.

we should be intrested in differences of other cultures and what they have to offer but instead those differences are used as a tool to instill fear and mobilize people against eachother.

Dumb cartoon, dumber reaction by a "select group" of Muslims.

Denmark is a free society. Like any free society, it may not always produce "nice stuff" for "everyone," but that's the way these free societies work.

The extremist/religious wing-nut reaction has been head-shackingly depressing and troubling.

And for the record, I just Googled "Jesus" and "Cartoon" and found about 535 negative images of Jesus.

If anyone wants to see the cartoon, I won't directly link it so as not to offend, but the cartoon is here.

Blame a country for what a newspaper printed. Incite violence against a continent because of this. Those MFers in the UK should be put on a barge and sent rowing to whatever religious nutbar country will have them.

My tolerance for this BS is at an all time low. How dare these guys stand in their home or adopted land and threaten their neighbours over a cartoon !!!!!!!

Thank God that didn't happen here. I can assure you I would be in jail.

And speaking of jail, can you imagine walking down the street with a sign saying " Death to Islam, you are all terrorists, you will pay!!!" Better yet, imagine living over in say, Jordan, and doing it.

Unreal

Simply illustrates how backwards the middle east has become.
LOL, was the middle east anything else but backwards? Although the reaction to the cartoon is appalling it's hardly surprising - whenever something that's even remotely anti-Islamic occurs, you see tens of thousands of Jihad Joes go to the streets and chant "Death to America". You can't really do much here because all these fanatics know/understand is bloodshed, killing, violence and their very limited interpretation of about 3 % of the Qu'ran. All in all, this is just another example of why religious fanaticism is a backwards ideology and has no place in a country like ours.

Thanks for the link Darkstar,

I was wondering what the fuss was about. Now after seeing the comic in question, I'm still wondering what the "fuss" is about.

I don't quite see how it (the comic) is "racist," or even "insensitive" for that matter. Political illustrations of today are, at times, far more harsh than this depiction. The comic is a blunt statement, meant to act as a comment and ellicit thought and debate - including contrary viewpoints.

In fact, it is a massive misunderstanding on the part of the violent protesters. Depiction may be disallowed in Islam, but is allowed within the Western tradition, and an essential component to our culture.

Denmark is a free society. Like any free society, it may not always produce "nice stuff" for "everyone," but that's the way these free societies work.

But there are limits to free speech. In Canada, for example, our hate laws restrict our expression... I'm not sure if that cartoon would have been printed here. Nevertheless, a very sad and disproportionate reaction we're seeing in the Middle East.

While not printed here (so far as we know), it is available online.

But there are limits to free speech. In Canada, for example, our hate laws restrict our expression..

These cartoons (the ones that I have seen) did not cross the line of "hate speech" -- at least under Canadian law.

Section 319(1): Public Incitement of Hatred

The crime of "publicly inciting hatred" has four main elements. To contravene the Code, a person must:

* communicate statements,
* in a public place,
* incite hatred against an identifiable group,
* in such a way that there will likely be a breach of the peace.

----------------------------------------

Basically, you have to incite people to act against an identifyable group.

I do agree with you that publishing these cartoons was stupid.

So much for the religion of peace, as Muslims continue to tell us they truly are. Instead of these organized protests and violent demonstrations, a far better reply to these offensive cartoons would have been for the Muslim countries, organizations and individuals to publically and peacefully denounce them, declare a boycott of Danish goods (if you must target the Danes at all) and request an apology (likely won't get one, but at least you show the moral upper hand). Instead of civility, we get savages running in the street, burning flags, destroying property, etc. all for the benefit of CNN's camera crews.

There are plenty of religions that are included in our daily humour. Did Hari Krishnas revolt when turned into satire on Airplane and dozens of other movies, did Christian's riot and burn after Jesus Christ Superstar. Where do these Muslim's get off that every time they see some offence they must turn to violence for the cameras?

So much for the religion of peace, as Muslims continue to tell us they truly are.

I sure hope you're not holding all Muslims responsible for the actions of the rioters.

So much for the religion of peace, as Muslims continue to tell us they truly are.

So much for the nation of multicultaral understanding, as Canadians continue to tell us they truly are???

Indeed, you'd have to paint with extremely broad strokes to cover the billion plus Muslims.

Back