Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

1. Scarlett and Ren
  2. Squirrel and Beaver
  3. Tobi & Sauga
  4. Rexy and Renny
  5. Richie and Rosie
names arent as good at the scarborough one but tobi and sauga has my vote

They rejected Moose and Squirrel because they were afraid foreign governments might try to kill them.

Presentation Materials are up for todays townhall... Mainly about Kipling Station. Nothing major imo. Timeline is still 2031 finish.

Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 13.16.36.png

They are polling on the preferred station entrance location. Northwest (in woodlot) and Hybrid (moving Eglinton south and building station entrances where the road currently is) are the two preferred options.

Personally, if they're going to have to move the road south to build the station box anyway - the Hybrid is the best option. The fact it protects the woodlot is a big improvement, too.

Last edited:
Presentation Materials are up for todays townhall... Mainly about Kipling Station. Nothing major imo. Timeline is still 2031 finish.

From the PDF.
Station box construction and road realignment

Our goal is to minimize tree and traffic impacts as much as possible during each stage of construction.

Woodlot trees and boulevard trees on the south side are fully protected during headwall construction (2022).

The station box is the underground platform area where customers will board the trains.

Construction of the box is expected to begin in 2024-25 and requires Eglinton Avenue West to temporarily shift to the south by approximately 10m (33 feet) in order to keep two traffic lanesopen in each direction. This work will impact south side boulevard trees and approximately 2.5% of the woodlot.

If traffic lanes are reduced to one lane in each direction the impact on trees is also reduced.
We continue to discuss this potential option with the City of Toronto.

As for the second-class pedestrians... (insert nothing here).

View attachment 367830
They are polling on the preferred station entrance location. Northwest (in woodlot) and Hybrid (moving Eglinton south and building station entrances where the road currently is) are the two preferred options.

Personally, if they're going to have to move the road south to build the station box anyway - the Hybrid is the best option. The fact it protects the woodlot is a big improvement, too.
Save the trees in the northwest corner by cropping down the trees on the southeastern corner and move the roadway there. Great plan eh

Save the trees in the northwest corner by cropping down the trees on the southeastern corner and move the roadway there. Great plan eh
Personally a continuous woodlot is more important than the trees on the southeastern corner. Always going to be trade offs when we build transit.

Personally a continuous woodlot is more important than the trees on the southeastern corner. Always going to be trade offs when we build transit.

Agreed. Plus protecting the locally rare Butternut Tree is important.

Real shame though is that we're not using this opportunity to at least partially un-do the mistake at the north-east corner.

Shift the station box just 20M east and then remove all the houses on the corner and build the entrance to support a tower..........

Oh, they certainly sing the song. But they seldom dance the dance, unless you aim the shotgun at their feet.

Even ML would not dare to touch that woodlot, considering how close it sits to the Premier’s driveway.

Mid-Etobicoke residents may be many things, but politically disconnected and disorganized they most certainly aren’t.

- Paul

^I wonder what the pedestrian counts for the various intersections will be.

I appreciate all the reasons why there has to be a single large station box, but to my mind each of the four corners should ideally have its own satellite set of stairs so that riders don’t have to make a single pedestrian crossing of those busy streets.

I don’t see all that much attention to the locations of the bus stops for north south routes, for that matter.

One can hope for improved intersection design to tame the cars, but, I would try to minimise the exposure (and save pedestrians a wait for a walk cycle) by not having people cross at all.

- Paul

Too bad they're sticking with traffic signal lights instead of roundabouts. At least put the cyclists and pedestrians into a more protected and safer environment. Including truck (and bus) aprons.

800px-Protected_intersection_features.png

From link.

Maybe even street parking? (Not possible with the current crop of councillors in Etobicoke.)

Personally I like the trees on the southeast corner. It offers a nice experience with the bike lane going under them offer shade with trees on both sides. I rather see they shift the station box west of the intersection and take out those short trees on the southwest side. Something like this.
kip-eg.jpg

I totally agree they should just undo the mistake and get rid of some of those townhouses instead.

Personally I like the trees on the southeast corner. It offers a nice experience with the bike lane going under them offer shade with trees on both sides. I rather see they shift the station box west of the intersection and take out those short trees on the southwest side. Something like this. View attachment 368120
I totally agree they should just undo the mistake and get rid of some of those townhouses instead.
It would create traffic roar for the residents in the buildings to the south. Noticed how this example wasn't on the southeast corner, which would put it closer to Doug Ford's house.

Personally I like the trees on the southeast corner. It offers a nice experience with the bike lane going under them offer shade with trees on both sides. I rather see they shift the station box west of the intersection and take out those short trees on the southwest side. Something like this. View attachment 368120

Because no one will ever want to transfer to the 45/945 bus...

Back