News   Mar 28, 2024
 716     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 490     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 798     0 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

No, because they're not buses.
They're large Vehicles running on rubber tyres, guided with a guide rail. I fail to see the difference between it and the O-Bahn:
OBAHNheader800.jpg

They're large Vehicles running on rubber tyres, guided with a guide rail. I fail to see the difference between it and the O-Bahn:
OBAHNheader800.jpg
O-Bahn Busway = O-Bahn

This would cover so much of Scarborough with reliable fast rapid transit.

I live around Kingston n Morningside, work downtown, and like to play bingo in the evenings at warden n Eglinton after work. I'd be able to make those 4 trips daily and be in a LRT or
O-Bahn Busway = O-Bahn

Train for like 95% of trip. Just walking to n from the stations.

The critical difference is that buses can exit the O-Bahn and run on normal city streets, while the rubber tyred metros can't. They don't even have steering wheels.

Think of a car on one of those guiderails in a car wash vs. a streetcar.

However, to be labelled "rapid" transit, the city of Toronto has to over-ride the current priorities of its Transportation Department that currently gives priority #1 to the single-occupant automobile over the 135–275 capacity, depending on configuration, on board a single uncoupled Flexity Freedom light rail vehicle. Until then, any of its vehicles on any kind of right-of-way (whether bus or rail) will be dependant on permission to move by the single-occupant motor vehicles.

Should be…
#1 priority—emergency vehicles​
#2 priority—pedestrians​
#3 priority—public transit​
#4 priority—cycling & e-bikes​
#5 priority—delivery & contractor trucks​
#6 priority—autos with more than one person (including taxis & auto sharing)​
#7 priority—single-occupant autos​
#8 priority—personal trucks or SUVs​

Last edited:
The critical difference is that buses can exit the O-Bahn and run on normal city streets, while the rubber tyred metros can't. They don't even have steering wheels.

Think of a car on one of those guiderails in a car wash vs. a streetcar.

Careful with that definition. There are a number tiny automated bus-like vehicles without steering wheels that also don't function outside of their guideway. These are mostly found on university and corporate campuses, but we've even had an Olli 2.0 operating within Toronto. Not to mention factory gear following painted lines, etc.

Rapid transit definitions fall into this trap too. Chicago Brown line ends up being not-rapid because of level crossings, and the Niagara Falls funicular ends up being rapid transit (electric, on rails, high frequency, ...).

Last edited:
However, to be labelled "rapid" transit, the city of Toronto has to over-ride the current priorities of its Transportation Department that currently gives priority #1 to the single-occupnt automobile over the 135–275 capacity, depending on configuration, on board a single uncoupled Flexity Freedom light rail vehicle. Until then, any of its vehicles on any kind of right-of-way (whether bus or rail) will be dependant on permission to move by the single-occupant motor vehicles.

Should be…
#1 priority—emergency vehicles​
#2 priority—pedestrians​
#3 priority—public transit​
#4 priority—cycling & e-bikes​
#5 priority—delivery & contractor trucks​
#6 priority—autos with more than one person (including taxis & auto sharing)​
#7 priority—single-occupant autos​
#8 priority—personal trucks or SUVs​
why are SUVs not the same priority as single-occupant autos, rather than personal trucks

why are SUVs not the same priority as single-occupant autos, rather than personal trucks
Waste of gas, designed for rural use, chunky and takes up more space and higher hp meaning more likely to kill someone in a collision

Think of how much more parking space there would be on on-street parking if everyone used a tiny fiat instead of a fat pickup. Of course some people like to drive their "bad ass" truck to intimidate people.

This would cover so much of Scarborough with reliable fast rapid transit.

I live around Kingston n Morningside, work downtown, and like to play bingo in the evenings at warden n Eglinton after work. I'd be able to make those 4 trips daily and be in a LRT or

Train for like 95% of trip. Just walking to n from the stations.
Fast? The staff report says bus lanes would be faster than an LRT here. Not to mention the $$ the city will save.

Anyone here remember Tory visiting Kennedy Station that one time in his life and saying the connection between BD and SRT was brutal? Yet here we are proposing an LRT with an even worse connection…

Anyone here remember Tory visiting Kennedy Station that one time in his life and saying the connection between BD and SRT was brutal? Yet here we are proposing an LRT with an even worse connection…
Clearly he has never visited NYC and tried to navigate between the different lines at Times Square.

Reactions: JBR
This video should be treated like a comedy routine, because christ this video is bad if viewed unironically.

I can't speak for Americans living in the South, but to suggest that SUV popularity is purely because "young people want nature and cool cars that call back to the old" is incredibly petty and disingenuous. Ignoring the fact that many (such as my 6'4 self) can barely fit in many Sedans without twisting our necks, SUVs offer a nice compromise between cost, fuel efficiency, and not being completely awful during icy winter conditions (very important if you live in say, in the ghta). Some time ago my family replaced our Nissan Altima with a Honda CRV, and I absolutely don't want to go back, especially during the winter where driving the Altima was like driving on Ice Skates (the extra luggage space is nice too).

Back