News   Mar 28, 2024
 995     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 556     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

East Don Trail Project

In respect of the bridge mentioned by @J B ; I have a note saying completion date: November 2023.

* note, that doesn't mean open, though we can hope.

Latest update from TRCA: Link

Phase 1 Construction Update: Winter 2023​

March 1, 2023

Since the last project update, the project team from the City of Toronto, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA), and their consultants R. J. Burnside & Associates Limited have completed the detailed design for the proposed tunnel and pedestrian-cycle bridge crossing of the Metrolinx rail corridor

TRCA awarded a contract to SONCIN Construction for implementation of these works, scheduled to commence in late February with completion by November 2023 (pending required approvals).

This tunnel and pedestrian-cycle bridge is required to complete Phase 1 of the East Don Trail connection from the Forks of the Don to Bermondsey Road.

Locations of proposed open cut tunnel and pedestrian bridge crossing over the Metrolinx rail corridor.
Locations of proposed open cut tunnel and pedestrian bridge crossing over the Metrolinx rail corridor

Construction of the tunnel will be via the main park road off the east side of Don Mills Road along the existing trail, which will include installation of a temporary bridge over the East Don River.

Construction of the pedestrian-cycle bridge will be via the existing maintenance access through the Hydro corridor on the west side of Bermondsey and across the temporary at-grade crossing over the Metrolinx active rail corridor.

Members of the public are reminded to adhere to restricted areas for their own safety throughout the duration of construction.

Please contact the project team if you have any questions.

I wanted to see the progress so I took a run yesterday along the route. Below the Bermondsey Transfer Station, a ramp is being built into the side of the ravine and will be part of the bridge. There has been no progress on the underpass further south on the trail. I don’t think a November completion is remotely possible. The delays are such a shame, the trail and bridges have been in place for years and this is one of the most beautiful sections along the paths anywhere in the City.
014103C9-5311-446C-9E67-A8C6F2F08647.jpeg
33F8D8F1-F6FF-4C9D-B435-CFE68C9CEE2C.jpeg
E3D0EEA4-A02F-4BFD-9178-A1A5DA0BC906.jpeg

Attachments

• ABEA2FF0-2910-40D1-B61C-1CC4CCA90C39.jpeg
    ABEA2FF0-2910-40D1-B61C-1CC4CCA90C39.jpeg
    457.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Biked as far as I could along the East Don Trail project. While unfinished, its "open" in the sense that there are no barriers stopping anyone from going onto it.

Got as far as a bridge that while not gated or anything, was a bit precarious to get across.

Enjoy if you wanted to see what at least half of the trail looks like! Can't wait till this is fully done and paved and one can bike from the Waterfront to Scarborough entirely along trails!

Last edited:
As of August 2023 there has been little if any progress since May.

The northern and southern sections (i.e. the two pieces which are east of the rail line) remain unpaved but mostly gravel and certainly usable. The bridge at the south end over Taylor Creek is essentially fully integrated at grade with the path on both sides. The large bridge crossing the East Don in the southern section (pictured in the video posted on May 23 above) remains unadorned with official ramps to reach its elevated height but is nonetheless usable by anyone with relatively unimpaired mobility - someone has even added an aluminium ladder on the north / west approach. Interestingly this is also the site of a large city recycling bin, an odd thing to see on what is effectively an island walled off by the railway and river and without any feasible vehicular access at this point.

The work site on the east side of the tracks coming down from Bermondsey appears dormant. And nothing appears to have really started on the west side.

No ground has been broken on either side at the southern end where the tunnel under the tracks is planned.

The orphaned section (west of the rail line) between the two unfinished crossings is delightfully complete and has been for quite some time - smoothly paved, with the multiple river crossings fully finished including gently-sloped approach ramps and decking over presumably marshy bits. It remains easily accessible at both ends for the adventurous via simple, well-worn portages across the tracks. Certainly no reasonable person however would recommend or encourage entering into active rail corridor.

Last I heard, Mx was the obstructive force on this project. Is this near the crossing of their line?

Mx and HONI (Hydro One Networks Inc) are the two most obstructive organizations to cycling there are.....)

At least in Toronto

Last edited:
The most recent update for the East Don Trail project (publicly) is March of this year:

1691241422759.png

It suggests a target completion date of November '23. (pending approvals). Somehow, I feel this may slip, again.

I was recently briefly excited upon encountering an active crew working beside the northernmost rail crossing, i.e. adjacent the road to/from Bermondsey. I spoke with the guys and it turns out they were stringing protective nets for errant balls from the golf course (Flemingdon I believe it is called). One of them mentioned that the golf course had recently been sold and there were plans for it to be redeveloped. The poles for the nets are now in place and some of the netting is hung but not strung. I am not sure what it is intended to protect, but it would be shielding the theoretical bridge over the rail sub. Maybe trains in the meantime are actually getting hit by golf balls.

Latest update from TRCA: Link

Phase 1 Construction Update: Winter 2023​

March 1, 2023

Since the last project update, the project team from the City of Toronto, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA), and their consultants R. J. Burnside & Associates Limited have completed the detailed design for the proposed tunnel and pedestrian-cycle bridge crossing of the Metrolinx rail corridor

TRCA awarded a contract to SONCIN Construction for implementation of these works, scheduled to commence in late February with completion by November 2023 (pending required approvals).

This tunnel and pedestrian-cycle bridge is required to complete Phase 1 of the East Don Trail connection from the Forks of the Don to Bermondsey Road.

Locations of proposed open cut tunnel and pedestrian bridge crossing over the Metrolinx rail corridor.
Locations of proposed open cut tunnel and pedestrian bridge crossing over the Metrolinx rail corridor

Construction of the tunnel will be via the main park road off the east side of Don Mills Road along the existing trail, which will include installation of a temporary bridge over the East Don River.

Construction of the pedestrian-cycle bridge will be via the existing maintenance access through the Hydro corridor on the west side of Bermondsey and across the temporary at-grade crossing over the Metrolinx active rail corridor.

Members of the public are reminded to adhere to restricted areas for their own safety throughout the duration of construction.

Please contact the project team if you have any questions.
Updated project link here: https://trca.ca/conservation/infrastructure-projects/east-don-trail-project/

More good news For the lower section of the East Don Trail.

Spotted today:

1. At the southern entrance to the East Don Trail (at the forks): crew consisting of a dumptruck and excavator, smoothing out the temporary abutments to the Bailey bridge over Taylor Creek. This has to mean that plans are in place to move in heavy equipment to work on the abutments for the bridge upstream which you currently have to both climb onto and climb down from on the other side. And possibly after that, the tunnel under the railway right-of-way.

2. At the northeastern end of the northernmost bridge in the abandoned section (beside the golf course, immediately south of the level crossing leading to/from the path out of the valley up to Bermondsey Avenue beside the transfer station) : A new security fence blocking access to the approach to the level crossing. Sounds carrying down from the worksite included the telltale sound of heavy trucks beeping in reverse.

Also notable in the photo: the new stray golfball nets on the poles on the left, still rolled up. And the red horizontal bar which normally sits locked and closed at the level crossing on the south/west side of the railway line was up (hard to see due to the downscaling applied by the image uploader).
2023-09-14-11-48-46-645.jpg
2023-09-14-11-28-29-848.jpg

Last edited:
More good news For the lower section of the East Don Trail.

Spotted today:

1. At the southern entrance to the East Don Trail (at the forks): crew consisting of a dumptruck and excavator, smoothing out the temporary abutments to the Bailey bridge over Taylor Creek. This has to mean that plans are in place to move in heavy equipment to work on the abutments for the bridge upstream which you currently have to both climb onto and climb down from on the other side. And possibly after that, the tunnel under the railway right-of-way.

2. At the northeastern end of the northernmost bridge in the abandoned section (beside the golf course, immediately south of the level crossing leading to/from the path out of the valley up to Bermondsey Avenue beside the transfer station) : A new security fence blocking access to the approach to the level crossing. Sounds carrying down from the worksite included the telltale sound of heavy trucks beeping in reverse.

Also notable in the photo: the new stray golfball nets on the poles on the left, still rolled up. And the red horizontal bar which normally sits locked and closed at the level crossing on the south/west side of the railway line was up (hard to see due to the downscaling applied by the image uploader).

Good update, but requires the photo that you're mentioning! * Edit * Photos now added *

Last edited:

Back