News   Apr 16, 2024
 521     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 424     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 783     0 

East Danforth

Cycling along the Danforth last weekend, I must say the stretch between roughly Coxwell and Donlands has one of the healthiest and deepest tree canopies on a main street in Toronto.

I know @Northern Light is an east-ender and well versed in urban and park design. Do you know why this stretch in particular seems to have such a good tree canopy? Is it the BIA?

Cycling along the Danforth last weekend, I must say the stretch between roughly Coxwell and Donlands has one of the healthiest and deepest tree canopies on a main street in Toronto.

I know @Northern Light is an east-ender and well versed in urban and park design. Do you know why this stretch in particular seems to have such a good tree canopy? Is it the BIA?

Ty for the thoughtful tag.

I would suggest to you that your perception is probably skewed by some of nicest blocks, but many look more like this:

1684181086105.png
'

The trees aren't particularly close together, they're small'ish and fairly young, average age of death for the trees planted in the tiny concrete boxes is about 5.

You do see exceptions to that though, even in the bad blocks:

1684181239001.png

That tree, above is at least 12, and maybe a bit older.

This one, below, is a Honey Locust, and must be decently over 20 years, possibly 30, if you see older, bigger street trees in Toronto, particularly in boxes, this is most likely species, its Toronto's 'parking lot tree', it can put up with a lot.

1684181331806.png

These trees I think will provide quality canopy in time:

1684181467662.png

Unlike much of Danforth, these aren't in tiny boxes, but in a continous soil trench with floating side walks and large planters near the surface.

I think what you would find is that this section of Danforth has a few really good specimens, despite the tough conditions, largely because it was one of earlier streets to get street trees, and those few that survived have now had decades to grow.

That will pre-date the BIA by decades.

While I don't know this, it would not surprise me if a conscious business owner or resident saw to watering or fertilizing some of those better looking trees at one point.

Though, it could just be that they were exceptionally tough specimens.

Tangential side note, I was walking this section of Danforth this past weekend as well; you may well have biked past me.

Next time you're on that stretch, remember to offset all the benefits of cycling everywhere by stopping in at City Bakers Collective and consume something so rich it will add twice as many calories as you burned! LOL

Ty for the thoughtful tag.

I would suggest to you that your perception is probably skewed by some of nicest blocks, but many look more like this:

View attachment 477413'

The trees aren't particularly close together, they're small'ish and fairly young, average age of death for the trees planted in the tiny concrete boxes is about 5.

You do see exceptions to that though, even in the bad blocks:

View attachment 477422

That tree, above is at least 12, and maybe a bit older.

This one, below, is a Honey Locust, and must be decently over 20 years, possibly 30, if you see older, bigger street trees in Toronto, particularly in boxes, this is most likely species, its Toronto's 'parking lot tree', it can put up with a lot.

View attachment 477427

These trees I think will provide quality canopy in time:

View attachment 477430

Unlike much of Danforth, these aren't in tiny boxes, but in a continous soil trench with floating side walks and large planters near the surface.

I think what you would find is that this section of Danforth has a few really good specimens, despite the tough conditions, largely because it was one of earlier streets to get street trees, and those few that survived have now had decades to grow.

That will pre-date the BIA by decades.

While I don't know this, it would not surprise me if a conscious business owner or resident saw to watering or fertilizing some of those better looking trees at one point.

Though, it could just be that they were exceptionally tough specimens.

Tangential side note, I was walking this section of Danforth this past weekend as well; you may well have biked past me.

Next time you're on that stretch, remember to offset all the benefits of cycling everywhere by stopping in at City Bakers Collective and consume something so rich it will add twice as many calories as you burned! LOL

Thanks Northern for the write-up. Yes, my vision may have been skewed. As you note, there were definitely parts of the street where the tree canopy was impressive, while it was lacking in other sections. Good point on the local business owners maybe caring for the trees. A bit of upkeep could have a good return if it means there's a shady and inviting patio.

The Danny/Danforth Mosaic BIA has finished work on its first side street parkette/plaza at Celeste Caithness and Danforth.

I was by there last evening, after the sun had set, so excuse the light levels.

East Side:

DSC02956.jpg

DSC02958.jpg

They added some trees further north as well:

DSC02957.jpg

West side:

DSC02959.jpg

DSC02960.jpg

Comments: I think its nice, as far as it went.

I think it was a mistake though to leave the existing sidewalk, they should have gone 100% interlock.

Unfortunately, they also chose to leave the road, a side street, very wide here, with parking on both sides. Removing the width of even one row of parking and adding more landscape/seating would have been beneficial.

Illumination also seems to have been omitted.

Last edited:
The Danny/Danforth Mosaic BIA has finished work on its first side street parkette/plaza at Celeste and Danforth.

I was by there last evening, after the sun had set, so excuse the light levels.

East Side:

View attachment 525914

View attachment 525916

They added some trees further north as well:

View attachment 525915

West side:

View attachment 525917

View attachment 525918

Comments: I think its nice, as far as it went.

I think it was a mistake though to leave the existing sidewalk, they should have gone 100% interlock.

Unfortunately, they also chose to leave the road, a side street, very wide here, with parking on both sides. Removing the width of even one row of parking and adding more landscape/seating would have been beneficial.

Illumination also seems to have been omitted.

This is at Caithness and Danforth. I’m wondering how/why they selected this intersection. Between Donlands and Greenwood is probably the least travelled section of Danforth for pedestrians.

This is at Caithness and Danforth

Good catch, duly corrected.

. I’m wondering how/why they selected this intersection. Between Donlands and Greenwood is probably the least travelled section of Danforth for pedestrians.

There were a whole bunch of these identified in their streetscape masterplan. I think they were looking at doing one per year.

2793 Danforth Ave, corner at Trent Ave just east of Dawes, is listed for sale at $2.79 million:

Tough site to repurpose w/much.

Relatively shallow, ~33M. On its own, very small, but even assembled, if you avoid the complication of the heritage building at the corner of Dawes (molested beyond recognition, but I digress)......

I can only get the potential assembly to ~10,000ft2.

Too tight for a tall building and even on the small side for more mid-rise configurations.

All that and you get the remediation issues of an automotive use site.

Back