News   Apr 25, 2024
 144     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 406     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Driveway Widening Fees - What is this charge for?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I have a question regarding driveway widening. We have been paying the city for our driveway widening permit since the 1980s. We used to pay very little for the permit, but now see that it is $150 a year, and predicted to continue to rise.

I understand that in many cases when a homeowner widens their driveway to accommodate their vehicle, that this can affect the other users of the street, since one less on-street parking space is now available to others, thus affecting the city's revenue for on-street parking permits. Also, driveway widening can affect the city's revenue, in that the city in many cases must rebuild the curb in order to accommodate the new, wider driveway.

However, in the case of my property, there is no on-street parking permitted on my side of the street. Thus, we are not taking away potential on-street parking from the neighbourhood, thus not affecting the city's revenue for on-street parking permits. Also, we do not require any change to the curb in front of our property, as we use only the existing sloped curb to enter our parking area. Lastly, the city's tree inspector reviewed the driveway widening in the 1990s, and determined that we had left sufficient open earth around the city-owned tree to allow it to thrive, which it certainly has done nicely.

Thus, as the widening of our driveway to accommodate our vehicle has not negatively or financially impacted the city in any way, I am questioning if we need the permit and its continuously rising cost at all. There are several homes in Cabbagetown that were built from the onset with wide parking spaces in front, and no permits are required. It seems that we are now paying upwards of $150 a year to the city to park on our own property, to the detriment of no one, while others in the area pay nothing.

So, what happens if I cancel the permit? Is there an appeal process, in which we can have the permit reviewed?

You are in essence paying for a parking permit to park on your property, it's just not called a parking permit.

One of the more interesting concepts that I have heard to justify it is that you are paying to use the city's property to access yours (crossing the sidewalk from the street). I suspect that you have the unfortunate luck that your driveway was completed too late to be grandfathered in, or your neighbours need a permit, but haven't got one.

One of the more interesting concepts that I have heard to justify it is that you are paying to use the city's property to access yours (crossing the sidewalk from the street).
But I'm using the existing driveway across the sidewalk to park the car; I just turn slightly to clear the driveway once I'm on my property. So I'm not using anymore of the city's property than I was before.

i wouldn't be so sure.....where is your water valve? 99.9% of the time it'll be located just inside the road easement....it's probably located halfway up your front lawn - what you think is your property more often than not, isn't. And besides, there's zoning regs that stipulate percentage of soft landscaping on your front lawn - I think it's about 30%.

i wouldn't be so sure.....where is your water valve? 99.9% of the time it'll be located just inside the road easement....it's probably located halfway up your front lawn - what you think is your property more often than not, isn't. And besides, there's zoning regs that stipulate percentage of soft landscaping on your front lawn - I think it's about 30%.
The valve is right next to the front porch, nowhere near where I drive-up. Regardless, how is this impacting the city financially to the point that they must collect revenue?

If you build a shed, deck, garage, etc. in your backyard, thus taking away soft landscaping or free space on your property, you generally need to obtain a one-time variance building permit from the city. They don't charge you every year going forward for keeping the shed on your property, regardless if it's on top of city water pipes, etc. Driveway widening should be the same, you pay one time to have the application reviewed to ensure that you're not impacting drainage, on-street parking, utilities, access to other houses, etc., and then you should be left alone.

The width of your driveway doesn't factor into it. The City is charging you for a parking permit because part of the driveway is on the City's right-of-way. I know, I'm in a similar situation.

The width of your driveway doesn't factor into it. The City is charging you for a parking permit because part of the driveway is on the City's right-of-way. I know, I'm in a similar situation.
But my house was built with a driveway in the 1920s, right up the middle between my neighbour's house and mine. Under that mutual driveway runs the sewer lines. My neighbour hasn't widened his half of the mutual driveway, and pays nothing in permits. even though his part of the existing 1920's driveway is on the City's right of way.

exactly...the valve is right next to your porch. Therefore, my friend you don’t own your front lawn. The soft landscaping has nothing to do with your backyard…it’s a reg that applies to your front yard (whether you own it or not!). You were given the right to access your property by virtue of the existing driveway for which you are not being charged…you want more access and you want to pave over more of THEIR property….you gotta pay. It’s really that simple. Besides, in some neighbourhoods, if they didn’t try to control it, there’d be cars parked everywhere and no grass and no trees.

You were given the right to access your property by virtue of the existing driveway for which you are not being charged…you want more access and you want to pave over more of THEIR property….you gotta pay.
And I am willing to pay, once, one time. This is the same if you build a house from scratch, the city would charge you one time for the permits for using city property, not every year forever. I'm fine with the city controlling driveway widening. Let them review each application and when they deem it allowable, charge the homeowner a one time fee to cover the cost of the application process.

Admiral Beez; said:
...widening of our driveway to accommodate our vehicle has not negatively or financially impacted the city in any way, I am questioning if we need the permit and its continuously rising cost at all.

sure it has...now they're able to collect money through the permit...
i do sympathize though..at least u have a parking spot..:rolleyes:

How much does the city charge to widen the actual curb at the side of the street? How do you get that done?

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-03-08%2520at%252011.03.52%2520PM.png

How much does the city charge to widen the actual curb at the side of the street? How do you get that done?
Surely it would have been done automatically, when the permit was granted to widen the driveway.

And if it hasn't been done, I'd think the bigger issue might be that the paving stones that are currently there, and having the car parked where it is, is in unpermitted use. (which isn't unusual ... I really don't think my parking spot behind my house is permitted either ... but that's only a suspicion I have no plans to look into, and I can see cars parked there a decade before I bought the house in aerial photos).

Some people just hire someone to do it without the consent of the city.

Back