598     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 892     0 

Drive-Thrus

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
It would be interesting to discuss drive-thrus.

When it comes to drive-thrus, I believe that drive-thrus should also allow cyclists to use them.

Ever since the pandemic hit, I must admit that I used the drive-thru at the McDonalds on Dufferin just south of Glencairn. I don't drive. I used its drive-thru as a cyclist. Guess what? There was no incident and I was served, just like motorists who use drive-thrus. If motorcyclists are obviously served in drive-thrus, then there should not be any reason to prohibit cyclists. More drive-thrus should allow cyclists to use them. After all, bicycles are vehicles, albeit those that are pedal-powered and don't require a license or insurance to use.

Here's an interesting blog entry from a cyclist in St. Paul, MN who was refused service for using a Burger King's drive-thru while riding a bicycle:

In 2018, Portland, OR passed an ordinance that allows pedestrians and cyclists to use drive-thrus if all other public entrances are closed.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm not convinced there is a law up here one way or the other; simply company/insurance policy, and I would be curious if that is something that could be subject to legislation.

Portland OR - hmmm, maybe the rioters were getting the munchies.

In theory, I hate drive-thru's and think they should be banned, but during these strange pandemic times they've had a genuine purpose for the first time ever.

In theory, I hate drive-thru's and think they should be banned, but during these strange pandemic times they've had a genuine purpose for the first time ever.
Now would be an excellent time to allow cyclists to use drive-thrus. Before the pandemic, most would find cyclists using drive-thrus absurd, even from progressives. Pre-pandemic, I would find that absurd, but with pandemic measures, it would make sense for cyclists to use drive-thrus.

Now would be an excellent time to allow cyclists to use drive-thrus. Before the pandemic, most would find cyclists using drive-thrus absurd, even from progressives. Pre-pandemic, I would find that absurd, but with pandemic measures, it would make sense for cyclists to use drive-thrus.
I have seen pedestrians using drive throughs, not sure if they were successful.

What you basically want is a walk up window.

7184268599_3d7de1a2ac_z.jpg

I've noticed quite a few businesses operate with a walk up window now during the pandemic. There's a coffee shop near me at Dufferin & Davenport called "Sovereign" which have a small indoor space, but have now reconfigured to conduct service through a open window only.

Same thing for "Jerk King" (Caribbean food) at Dufferin & Bloor, which is quite popular and draws line ups during the summer.

PG Clucks on College/Little Italy now runs on a model which requires you to order and pay online before picking up orders at the door. I've also noticed a couple places on Gerrard East operating in such a way.

I seem to recall a massive fight over the McDonalds drive thru at Bathurst and Dundas in the early 00s, related to some of the reasons already mentioned, in addition to concerns about traffic management.

I just remember pedestrians being told off in the past for trying to use drive-thrus, maybe for liability reasons.

I believe many restaurants allowed walk throughs of their drive throughs because of COVID - especially when the interiors were closed.

I know when I used to work at McDs in high school, the drive through was cars only unless the interior was closed late at night. We would allow walk throughs then... and we got a lot of drunks haha.

Personally I rarely used drive throughs. Usually just park and go inside, it takes about as long and lets you stretch your legs. Lately I've been using the parking spot pick up thing as well.

Back