News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 452     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Does anyone know where locations of Discovery Zone were throughout the GTA?

mistersg1

Member Bio
Reaction score
Living in Brampton, in my time, growing up, that old rat was nowhere to be found, (Chuck E Cheese I’m speaking of course) they had a store in the Clarence Mall I’ve been told but don’t remember it.

Anyways, one of the photos one will find if they search up Discovery Zone, that chain that existed practically only within the 1990s is this storefront, which I’m 99% certain is the Brampton location.

Discovery_Zone.jpg

A lot has been written about this company’s huge rise and fall pretty much exclusively in the 1990s, but my question is.

Does anyone know where other locations of Discovery Zone existed in the GTA, if there were any other ones?

Living in Brampton, in my time, growing up, that old rat was nowhere to be found, (Chuck E Cheese I’m speaking of course) they had a store in the Clarence Mall I’ve been told but don’t remember it.

Anyways, one of the photos one will find if they search up Discovery Zone, that chain that existed practically only within the 1990s is this storefront, which I’m 99% certain is the Brampton location.

Discovery_Zone.jpg

A lot has been written about this company’s huge rise and fall pretty much exclusively in the 1990s, but my question is.

Does anyone know where other locations of Discovery Zone existed in the GTA, if there were any other ones?
Yeah there was a chuck e cheese at Kennedy and Clarence now called Kennedy square.

The discovery zone was in the 410 &7 plaza which has been expanded and facelifted since. It was somewhere near the golden griddle, fabric land, Payless shoes, jumbo video, a Cineplex theatre and the toys r us at the end which is still there.

I only went to the Brampton location sadly.

The 410 @ 7 plaza received a facelift in the mid 20-aughts and only the Toys R Us (and Value Village) remain from the days prior to the facelift. I still do remember the old plaza very well and could tell you everything that was in there over the years. The thing was, other than Toys R Us, nothing survived in there long term.

Roughly where the Oceans is in the plaza now is where Discovery Zone was which I’m sure you know. It was between Payless Food and Drug (later Herbies) to its left and “The Office Place” to its right. Presumably Discovery Zone’s unit was created out of space that Beaver Lumber used to have, I’m not sure of this but it makes sense. Office Place used Beaver Lumber’s former entrance, and such would make sense for Beaver Lumber to have had a larger store.

To explain what I mean, the No Frills just across Hwy 410 in the former Kmart Plaza from long ago, back when it was the Supercentre, the store’s footprint included the area that later became National Sports, the Supercentre’s unit was downsized when it became No Frills.

I’m starting to wonder if I this was the only Discovery Zone location in the GTA.

The 410 @ 7 plaza received a facelift in the mid 20-aughts and only the Toys R Us (and Value Village) remain from the days prior to the facelift. I still do remember the old plaza very well and could tell you everything that was in there over the years. The thing was, other than Toys R Us, nothing survived in there long term.

Roughly where the Oceans is in the plaza now is where Discovery Zone was which I’m sure you know. It was between Payless Food and Drug (later Herbies) to its left and “The Office Place” to its right. Presumably Discovery Zone’s unit was created out of space that Beaver Lumber used to have, I’m not sure of this but it makes sense. Office Place used Beaver Lumber’s former entrance, and such would make sense for Beaver Lumber to have had a larger store.

To explain what I mean, the No Frills just across Hwy 410 in the former Kmart Plaza from long ago, back when it was the Supercentre, the store’s footprint included the area that later became National Sports, the Supercentre’s unit was downsized when it became No Frills.

I’m starting to wonder if I this was the only Discovery Zone location in the GTA.

That plaza started off as an outlet mall with an interior corridor, but that didn't last that long as a concept. Then there was Toys R Us on one side, and Titan - a hypermarket chain that didn't last long - on the other. By the late 1980s, it settled down, when Payless, Jumbo Video, Beaver Lumber, and Cineplex Odeon joined Toys R Us and took most of that space. The Cineplex moved there from Bramalea City Centre. Beaver Lumber closed in 1993 when Akenhead's (Home Depot) opened at Rutherford and Steeles, and Cineplex closed when the Cineplex Grande opened across from Home Depot.

That plaza started off as an outlet mall with an interior corridor, but that didn't last that long as a concept. Then there was Toys R Us on one side, and Titan - a hypermarket chain that didn't last long - on the other. By the late 1980s, it settled down, when Payless, Jumbo Video, Beaver Lumber, and Cineplex Odeon joined Toys R Us and took most of that space. The Cineplex moved there from Bramalea City Centre. Beaver Lumber closed in 1993 when Akenhead's (Home Depot) opened at Rutherford and Steeles, and Cineplex closed when the Cineplex Grande opened across from Home Depot.
I believe you in all of that except for one thing, Bramalea City Centre never had a Cineplex Odeon, Famous Players had a triplex inside known as Cinemas 3, This theatre relocated and became Gateway Six in 1988, again it was a Famous Players property.

CinemaTreasures confirms this only mentioning that Famous Players had the theatre inside the BCC.

Should be worth mentioning that FP’s Gateway Six and CO’s 410/7 were the kind of “transitional” movie theatres. The auditoriums were larger than the Drabinsky era COs found in basements of malls, but not quite to modern seating arrangements with stadium seating.

That is, an auditorium at Gateway Six or 410/7 had you enter the auditorium from the back and the theatre had a sloped ramp. Nowadays you enter the auditorium from the bottom and climb stairs to reach seats, as both of these theatres are long gone, are there any of these kind of “transitional” theatres still around in the GTA?

Back