Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Re: Post: Waterfront Project Shrouded in Secrecy (Global?)

there's quite a bit of digging on the site of Comissioners Park

carry on

mark simpson:

Is it north or south of Commissioner's Street? It could be the Filmport site.

AoD

"IBM?"

I thought IBM had long term plans to expand their Markham campus at Warden & 407.

What about the Toronto Star or even Torstar Corp as the potential tenant? The Star has long been a vocal proponent of waterfront revitalization, they currently occupy a location on the waterfront that is an eyesore and a prime site for redevelopment, and their former publisher and current board member John Honderich is a "Special Advisor to the Premier of Ontario on the Future of the GTA and Creative Cities". Seems like if they want to put their money where their mouth is help and kick start commercial development on the waterfront for "creative†industries, this would be exactly the kind of project they should be involved in. And since they are already on the waterfront, their employees won't view a move to a new waterfront site as an inconvenience, whereas a lot of other company's employees would. In addition, Christopher Hume has been strangely silent on this potential development - something he couldn't comment on if it is in fact The Star or Torstar that is the new tenant. Just a thought.

I can see your rationale why you'd think that but I'm pretty sure it's not Torstar for the following two reasons:

1. Torstar is currently having financial difficulties (diminishing revenues at the Star & weak performance at Harlequin).

2. They sold their waterfront property, located right across the street, last year to TWRC.

Good points, but I believe their lease on the Harlequin offices are up in 2009, and since the TWRC is now taking the lead on the Symphony development I suspect they would be open to letting The Star out of their lease on 1 Yonge (I believe it currently runs through 2020). I hope I am wrong and it is a different company so there are net new jobs headed to the waterfront - I just think Torstar is the company that could make the easiest transition to that location.

blixa:

I believe they only sold 1/4 of the site to TWRC.

AoD

Did anyone come across any more information on this?

Sorry, I missed the meeting! Should be in the minutes next month.

Louroz

Because hardly anything in the city is named after the person who is in her 56th year as the country's head of state?

Uhh, Queen's Park, Queen St., Queen Elizabeth Way, the Queen's Plate.... I do believe these are named after our Head of State and not the rock band.

^ Yeah, but none of them are actually named after Elizabeth II.

Maybe there's a hotel component ... we're always looking for the next rumoured W Hotel location

mark simpson:

Is it north or south of Commissioner's Street? It could be the Filmport site.

northwest corner of Commissioner and Don Roadway

What if it's all shroud and no secret?

Project Symphony

Can we get the thread renamed Project Symphony?

Drama looms down by the lake
Mar 01, 2007 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume

A showdown is looming on the waterfront. At stake is nothing less than the look, feel and form of future development along Lake Ontario. No one can say how it will end, but already there are deep concerns about whether waterfront regeneration will live up to expectations.

The story starts – as it so often does in this part of town – with TEDCO (the Toronto Economic Development Corp.). The municipal agency has never bought into the vision of the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp. and has devoted enormous resources to fighting the TWRC, at one point hiring local architect Jack Diamond to prepare a parallel precinct plan for the area known as the East Bayfront.

Now it has turned once again to Diamond's firm, Diamond and Schmitt Architects, to design a building on land TEDCO controls at the foot of Jarvis St.

Though no one will say who the tenant is, it will bring much-wanted knowledge workers to the waterfront. The bad news is the building in which they will work. Given that it will be one of the first buildings constructed in the name of waterfront revitalization, it has to set a high standard. The general consensus, however, is that it doesn't.

"This is the first test of the waterfront corporation," says respected Toronto architect and chair of the TWRC design review panel Bruce Kuwabara. "I guess I thought there was going to be a design competition for the first building. Why wouldn't we have set some design standards for the first building? It's so important to the credibility of the TWRC."

TWRC president John Campbell says the corporation "supports the project." But he also acknowledges that, "We recognize that the first project on the waterfront has to be great." However, he insists, "The design is still at the conceptual stage."

He also points out that the design review panel has established a subcommittee to deal with the TEDCO building, code named Project Symphony.

TEDCO has been a thorn in TWRC's side from the start and despite a memorandum of understanding, its agenda is strictly economic; as an agency it clearly has nothing invested into the idea of waterfront revitalization. Indeed, TEDCO is moving ahead as fast as possible with Project Symphony, and hopes to start construction in June. That doesn't leave much time for the architecture of the building to be redone to meet the expectations of the design review panel.

TWRC officials admit they are frustrated by the attitude and actions of TEDCO. But because it holds the title to the land and because the design panel is merely advisory, it can theoretically carry on regardless.

Members of the York Quay Neighbourhood Association are also unimpressed with what they have seen.

"It's got to be urban," says Kuwabara. "It's got to be sustainable. It's got to be beautiful. It's got to be full of life. When people see mediocre architecture on the waterfront, they will be really angry. It's all about the branding and identity of the waterfront. It will become a very significant issue."

And as Kuwabara makes clear, "They say they haven't designed the building yet, but they're moving ahead with the project."

None of this bodes well for waterfront revitalization. It raises the question of why TEDCO hasn't been reined in by the city, specifically by Mayor David Miller, who made waterfront redevelopment an election issue and who insisted he be given a seat on the TWRC board.

Yes, it's important to get jobs on the waterfront, but it's more important to get things right. With its attitude of let's just get something going as soon as possible with as little public input as possible, TEDCO is jeopardizing the whole point of the revitalization process.

"I've lost a lot of sleep over this, more than anything else," Kuwabara admits. "We've got to start thinking bigger."

Back