Hamilton Corktown Plaza | 91.43m | 27s | Slate | Core Architects

DavidCapizzano

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hamilton's corktown plaza has been sold to Slate Asset Management and will be redeveloped as a 2 tower mixed use rental project. Roughly 600 units with 5 retail spaces. Core is the lead architect with Janet Rosenberg designing the landscaping.

o0wJMvv.jpg

CIDyIYj.jpg

A9FSPDt.jpg

Images from a public meeting held this evening, taken by me.

Feels like there may already be a thread for this site but I wasn't able to find it, mods please merge/move if necessary.

Official project website:

corkt.jpg

Last edited:

The Corktown development

The 27-storey Corktown East tower, which will have retail at grade, will be the first building to go up. A fall 2026 completion is being targeted. A 14-storey building on John Street with retail at grade will follow as quickly as possible.

Corktown East will offer studios, one-bedroom, one-bedroom-plus-den, two-bedroom and two-bedroom-plus-den suites ranging from 340 to 851 square feet.

CORE Architects is steering the design for the project, which borrows from traditional industrial facades while incorporating modern urbanism. Brick from the existing buildings will be reintroduced to the mid-rise building. Mason Studio is overseeing interior design.

Construction of an innovative residential complex atop a downtown strip plaza is expected to begin in less than a year — but you’ll be able to put money down on a unit in just a few weeks.

Slate Asset Management says condos in its long-planned 27-storey highrise at John and Young streets will open for sale in May as it aims to break ground in late 2023 or early 2024.

“There’s been a lot of pent-up demand for new housing over the past year as people have been kind of sitting on the sidelines waiting to see what happens with interest rates,” said Brandon Donnelly, managing director of development at Slate.

“We’re really excited and think this is the right time to launch.”

It marks the first phase of the Toronto-based developer’s ambitious project to flip the sea of parking at Corktown Plaza into a splashy mixed-use residential complex.

Pitched to council in 2018 and approved in 2021, the complex is comprised of two buildings: a 372-unit condo tower and a 374-unit, 14-storey mid-rise, each separated by a courtyard on the ground floor with a wide array of retail offerings, including a possible micro-grocer.

Oh boy, Very creative - is that a helpful local street artist the x-tenant, or the landlord :)

Hamilton has a ‘thing’ for homemade signs, especially in the East End.

It’s a unique oddity I haven’t really seen in any city I’ve been to (though I haven’t been to Detroit yet).

Back