News   Mar 28, 2024
 235     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 

Condo PDI

416ForLife

Member Bio
Reaction score
Apartment condo PDI is coming up in Toronto. Never done this before, so I don’t know what to expect.

Anything I need To sign off upon PDI? Can I trust the firm doing the PDI with me to have any concern about my interests or are they merely serving the interests of the developer?
How picky would you be during PDI?

would you check every outlet and make sure there is power?

how do issues get reported and resolved? I assume that any issues found should be reported?

PDI Is done by the developer. You walk around with a rep and they give you from 1hr + to go through the unit and pick out any imperfections. Don't rely on them to point them out. Bring someone along with you to help pick out imperfections. Test everything, look everywhere. You ntotify the PDI person righ then and there of any issues. They will write them down. You have to sign off on the sheet after the PDI concludes. The builder will then go ahead and fix/attempt to fix the issues. If the PDI person tells you "don't worry about it" or "put it on your 30 day form". Don't listen to them. Just have them mark it down right then and there. This is your best chance to have things fixed.

If you have the time, sure check outlets. I'd really go for the main things though....make sure appliances are running, no scratches/dents. Make sure the tile job is sufficient, flooring, drywall job, etc.

If you go in and there are just too many issues and the unit doesn't look ready or if the PDI is at night, just ask to reschedule. You will not see a lot of issues in darkness. A dirty/messy/unfinished unit can camouflage problems. Take up the full time that is required.

I have had several PDIs over the years and I learn more with each PDI.

That's the gist of it.

From Tarion's site: https://www.tarion.com/sites/default/files/2019-12/Tarion PDI Checklist_07.pdf

Definitely check to make sure the water (hot and cold) runs, there's no leakage, and toilets flushes properly. Check that doors/windows open and close properly. And remember to look up at the ceilings and walls up top as well. If possible check the thermostat for heating/cooling/fan only. And the usual imperfections like dents and scratches everywhere.

Edit: on one of my PDI's, the fridge door opened the "wrong" way - and although it technically wasn't a fault, the inspector agreed with me that it opened in a really stupid way and made sure that it got replaced (it wasn't one of those fridges with easy to flip doors, they just swapped mine with another unit). So don't be afraid about voicing your concerns.

Thanks for all of the advice. So, we probably noted about 30 to 40 issues.
Some of the more serious things noted included: misaligned cupboards, scratches and dents on 3 different appliances, uneven/damaged tile on backsplash, door not aligned properly causing damage on door corner and trim of wall.

Other stuff I’m concerned about but less so are small scratches in paint and small holes in drywall, nail holes in trim, and paint job in spots.

Floor was in good overall condition with no scratches noted at least during PDI.

Thoughts on ensuring these get resolved? What has your experience been like? Are these more or less regular things that are regularly taken care of?

Back