News   Mar 28, 2024
 75     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 165     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 245     0 

Condo in Florida Collapses

Indeed! Though the situation in Ontario is not perfect, it is clearly better regulated and condo corporations must have Reserve Fund Studies carried out by 'qualified people"
Given that the sealants used on window walls and window walls "when properly designed and installed, have a typical service life of 10 to 15 years", and that insulated glass has a half life of about 10-15 years I hope Toronto's condo boards are saving up for the day when entire exteriors of their building need replacement.

Given that the sealants used on window walls and window walls "when properly designed and installed, have a typical service life of 10 to 15 years", and that insulated glass has a half life of about 10-15 years I hope Toronto's condo boards are saving up for the day when entire exteriors of their building need replacement.
That is why condos are required to have professional Reserve Fund Studies and to follow the advice given to them in the associated Funding Plans.

That is why condos are required to have professional Reserve Fund Studies and to follow the advice given to them in the associated Funding Plans.
That’s a good point and fortunately, barring poor quality materials (like Kitec plumbing) or installation during construction almost everything is predictable. The half life of windows, elevators, HVAC systems, etc. can be accurately estimated and budgeted for. The Florida condo board could have mitigated their rebar corrosion decades before the collapse.

Last edited:
Keeping this thread as our catch-all for concerning engineering/construction quality ...........

Ohio State University is in the midst of its largest project ever, a new 26 storey tower at its hospital site, the James Cancer Centre.

Sooooo...

1669402110098.png

Full sized pics below:

1669402151744.png

1669402176075.png

News paper article here from one day prior to the tweet, suggests they think the problem is limited to one column, and appear to wish to continue building the project in other parts of the building while they figure this bit out.....

From the above, this is a pic of the overall project:

1669402341565.png

Last edited:
And before that we also had the high profile collapse of the under construction Hard Rock hotel in New Orleans as well.

Don't forget the Algo Mall collapse at Elliot Lake either.

AoD

At least the Algo Mall collapsed after years of use. I don't recall if any of the reports I read cited an engineering flaw in the initial design.
Keeping this thread as our catch-all for concerning engineering/construction quality ...........

Ohio State University is in the midst of its largest project ever, a new 26 storey tower at its hospital site, the James Cancer Centre.

Sooooo...

View attachment 441090
Full sized pics below:

View attachment 441091

View attachment 441092

News paper article here from one day prior to the tweet, suggests they think the problem is limited one column, and appear to wish to continue building the project in other parts of the building while they figure this bit out.....

From the above, this is a pic of the overall project:

View attachment 441093
I can hear the phones ringing at law offices and insurance companies from here. At least it's not the Faculty of Engineering.

Back