News   Mar 28, 2024
 94     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 557     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 357     0 

Canada's next Governor General

Brother, all your posts on this subject are largely assumed.
I know. I've said as much.

You've assumed the age/generation of the GG's staff, their work ethic and performance. But this alleged behaviour, this is the assumption you won't take?
I'm also assuming I'm right so......

I'm just doing my usual devil's advocate obligations.

That is actually not what GGs are supposed to do or be. We live in a democracy - think of England,. the Queen can refuse to sign legislation but never does so. Would you want her representative (or any 'president') to have this power to over-ride an elected parliament?

When the "majority" of said parliament is elected by a minority of people and/or electors?

What's the difference? In fact, in those cases (which are the cases in both Canada and the UK) it might in fact be beneficial to have a benevolent head of state making the call on everyone's behalf so that the minority don't get to lord it over the majority which is what we normally have in this country.

The argument for the democratic choice sounds beyond silly when talking about a FPTP electoral system.

When the "majority" of said parliament is elected by a minority of people and/or electors?

What's the difference? In fact, in those cases (which are the cases in both Canada and the UK) it might in fact be beneficial to have a benevolent head of state making the call on everyone's behalf so that the minority don't get to lord it over the majority which is what we normally have in this country.

The argument for the democratic choice sounds beyond silly when talking about a FPTP electoral system.

We agree on FPTP..............

But this sounds like two wrongs don't make a right to me.

Actually, an alternative voting system (ranked ballot, proportional, etc.) under our system might raise the importance of the GG. By closer reflecting the popular vote, we could well end up with more fractured parties regularly vying to form coalitions and trying to convince the GG that they enjoy the confidence of the House. This is not uncommon in some European countries.

Although not involving a coalition, the BC LtGov was the most recent to have to exercise its reserve authority when, after an election, the two main parties were virtually tied.

Actually, an alternative voting system (ranked ballot, proportional, etc.) under our system might raise the importance of the GG. By closer reflecting the popular vote, we could well end up with more fractured parties regularly vying to form coalitions and trying to convince the GG that they enjoy the confidence of the House. This is not uncommon in some European countries.

Although not involving a coalition, the BC LtGov was the most recent to have to exercise its reserve authority when, after an election, the two main parties were virtually tied.
Australia and NZ modified their voting systems and maintained their unelected GG. So can Canada.

If we’re electing the GG it’s no longer a GG, but instead is a President. I can’t see Canada becoming a Republic in my life time. The infighting over the new Constitution and provincial and linguistic rights would be impossible. If we’re a Republic, do we still call our regions provinces?

Last edited:

I hope this isn’t another case of prioritizing optics.

Last edited:

I hope this isn’t another case of prioritizing optics.

Not a bad choice even if it is - and as a ceremonial position, optics is half the job.

AoD

Back