News   Mar 28, 2024
 308     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 337     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 696     0 

Canada's next Governor General

We don't know much about what happened, so calling anyone a deranged bully is a bit much.

It's the same conjecture as when I state that her underlings are probably all fragile millenials who expect a participation ribbon just for showing up, regardless of how incompetent they are.

The fact of the matter is that Payette is an accomplished pilot and astronaut and her underlings at Rideau Hall are, at best, glorified email pushers.
She comes from a high-stress background, they come from some lame undergrad programme.

It's a poor fit, sure, but disparaging Payette is just reactionary bunk.

You want to be outraged about wasting money?
How about the complete waste that was the amount paid to some consultancy to basically tell us what we already knew: that some employees had their feelings hurt.

Where's your outrage there? It was an entirely useless exercise, that consultancy's reporting on the issue. They found absolute zero that hadn't already been reported in the press.

Dig deep, you may even find Liberal party connections to said consultancy.

If you want to be outraged....

Or if you want to be outraged, how about being outraged at the arrogance of the PM, who in his infinite wisdom (and infinite arrogance), decided to scrap a perfectly good selection committee that came up with a perfectly excellent candidate in the form of David Johnston?

Where's your outrage there?

Or where's your outrage in regards to the fact that yet another strong woman gets pushed out by this government? In the footsteps of Wilson-Raybould and Philpott.

I have more respect for Julie Payette as an accomplished astronaut, pilot, and scientist than I ever could have for a bunch of admin assistants crying because they didn't get their participation ribbons and feel hard done by because they weren't competent enough to live up to certain demanding standards and instead of leaving chose to complain about it.

Doesn't matter if the person is an accomplished pilot and astronaut. There is no place for any kind of harassment or such behavior at a work place. Reading Julie Payette's past history.. its clear she has a pattern of abusive behavior. She beat her husband up for Christ sake!!

We don't know much about what happened, so calling anyone a deranged bully is a bit much.

It's the same conjecture as when I state that her underlings are probably all fragile millenials who expect a participation ribbon just for showing up, regardless of how incompetent they are.

The fact of the matter is that Payette is an accomplished pilot and astronaut and her underlings at Rideau Hall are, at best, glorified email pushers.
She comes from a high-stress background, they come from some lame undergrad programme.

How about the complete waste that was the amount paid to some consultancy to basically tell us what we already knew: that some employees had their feelings hurt.

Where's your outrage there? It was an entirely useless exercise, that consultancy's reporting on the issue. They found absolute zero that hadn't already been reported in the press.

Or if you want to be outraged, how about being outraged at the arrogance of the PM, who in his infinite wisdom (and infinite arrogance), decided to scrap a perfectly good selection committee that came up with a perfectly excellent candidate in the form of David Johnston?

Or where's your outrage in regards to the fact that yet another strong woman gets pushed out by this government? In the footsteps of Wilson-Raybould and Philpott.

I have more respect for Julie Payette as an accomplished astronaut, pilot, and scientist than I ever could have for a bunch of admin assistants crying because they didn't get their participation ribbons and feel hard done by because they weren't competent enough to live up to certain demanding standards and instead of leaving chose to complain about it.

Except that the pattern, outside of government, was there as well, at the Montreal Science Centre and Canadian Olympic Committee.

Doesn't matter if the person is an accomplished pilot and astronaut. There is no place for any kind of harassment or such behavior at a work place. Reading Julie Payette's past history.. its clear she has a pattern of abusive behavior. She beat her husband up for Christ sake!!

Yeah, she did. As I said, good strong woman. We need more of them in positions of power.

The Globe and Mail just did a massive investigation into the lack of women in senior leadership positions in Canada. It was a special section in their weekend edition last week. It's pretty galling. Though, of course, equity for equity's sake is just another extreme.

Anyway, her beating up her husband was public knowledge again.....so your outrage should be aimed at the PM who ought to have known she might be as bit too real for your average bureaucrat.

Except that the pattern, outside of government, was there as well, at the Montreal Science Centre and Canadian Olympic Committee.

Yeah, I know. The PM ought to have known as well is what I'm saying.

I'm also saying that I actually think she's just a tough bastard and I admire that as her managerial style seems to be close to mine.

By the way, I haven't had any moaning behind my back.....when I go too far at work, my guys tell me to my face and we hash it out. Like adults. (Death oaths may or may not have been uttered at some of these consultations hahaha)

The scope of her achievements is irrelevant. There is no excuse for mistreatment of employees, period. Ultimately her shit stinks as bad as anyone else's. There must be zero tolerance for such an abhorrent abuse of power, especially in cases like hers where apparently she's entitled and dumb enough to keep repeating the exact same mistake even in a high profile publicly funded position that generates media scrutiny. It's a betrayal of the dignity of the office. All her perks should be stripped.

I agree about Trudeau though - he was arrogant to ignore the review panel and assume that his personal pick would be a slam dunk based just on her flashy resume. It's another example that reinforces the fairly common belief that he's more about style than actual substance. That's a quality that bothers me about him.

Last edited:
I agree...the scope of her achievements may be irrelevant.....the employees are still participation ribbon sensitive millenial types though.

Whether or not such people need be accommodated is not up to me. They wouldn't last a day in my job which is just as good because they'd only be a hindrance.

How do you know they are millenials? They are career civil servants. Some of them may be in the 50s.

Millenials are 40 now. They very well could be career civil servants by now.
25-40 year old (using 1981-1996).

Nontheless, I don't see why membership of a hated generation should excuse abusive workplace behaviour.

the employees are still participation ribbon sensitive millenial types though.

Whether or not such people need be accommodated is not up to me. They wouldn't last a day in my job which is just as good because they'd only be a hindrance.
How do you know that the GG and Rideau Hall staff are millennials? And what is a millennial type?

How do you know that the GG and Rideau Hall staff are millennials?
I don't. I'm making assumptions based on their apparent character.

And what is a millennial type?
A self-entitled person who is used to being told that everything about them is fine and good and they can do no wrong and whose incompetencies are chalked up to various things other than their actual damn self.

Back