News   Apr 19, 2024
 762     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 767     1 

Canada's next Governor General

Julie Payette resigns as Governor General​

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/governor-general-payette-step-down-1.5882675

How about Harry and Megs?

Seeing as how they live in the US, I'm not sure it would work.

Seeing as how they live in the US, I'm not sure it would work.

Well we do provide a house as part of the package.

He left the pomp, circumstance and bubble for a reason. Having someone who is technically in the line of succession, and not a Canadian citizen, is just a patently bad idea. As for the missus being an actor, well . . .

It may not be a bad idea to switch-up the tradition from going between French-English Canada to going between French-English-Indigenous. Then all three Canadian pillars are then represented each decade (and a bit).

Not only is it "not a bad idea", it's actually a necessary and brilliant idea.

I'm going to email my MP which may or may not work because I told his office to sod off the last time I interacted with them after they went all "governement line" on me after I specifically asked they don't insult my intelligence and speak to me normally.

Actually, as a friend just said to me, "it would be like asking a Martian to be the Governor-General of Earth".

I think while it may be good-intentioned on our parts to add Indigenous to the cycle, it would be seen as a "hard no" by many Indigenous, especially being a representative of the monarchy.

It's an idea that may have to wait until a Canadian Republic one-day hopefully emerges and when truth and reconciliation have actually been fully embraced by its government and peoples.

I don't agree at all. Including with the aspirational republic, but let's not go there.

As it is the highest office in the land I think it would be a good show of reconciliation to make an effort to have a FN person in the role.
The Governor General doesn't just represent the monarch in Canada, but also represents Canada to the monarch.

Actually, as a friend just said to me, "it would be like asking a Martian to be the Governor-General of Earth".

I think while it may be good-intentioned on our parts to add Indigenous to the cycle, it would be seen as a "hard no" by many Indigenous, especially being a representative of the monarchy.

It's an idea that may have to wait until a Canadian Republic one-day hopefully emerges and when truth and reconciliation have actually been fully embraced by its government and peoples.
Apparently it wouldn't have to wait. Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations is calling for the next GG to be First Nations. I'm sure many candidates would decline given the symbolism.

Apparently it wouldn't have to wait. Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations is calling for the next GG to be First Nations. I'm sure many candidates would decline given the symbolism.
I agree, although other than symbolism, I'm not exactly sure how the Federation would expect the GG to move their goalposts. Perhaps Inuit - no treaty complications. A smaller pool but there a few who have acquitted themselves.

Expecting any single person to somehow embody the length and breadth of this country is a tad unrealistic.

Well we do provide a house as part of the package.

He left the pomp, circumstance and bubble for a reason. Having someone who is technically in the line of succession, and not a Canadian citizen, is just a patently bad idea. As for the missus being an actor, well . . .
True, but he’s had enough time to look around and take in what’s become of his choices and life. He might have wanted the break from the paparazzi but now he’s just some useless bloke wandering around LA whilst his wife gets back to the Hollywood life she wanted all along. I’d want to bail on that, and the GG role would be light work for Harry and return him to HM’s good graces.

True, but he’s had enough time to look around and take in what’s become of his choices and life. He might have wanted the break from the paparazzi but now he’s just some useless bloke wandering around LA whilst his wife gets back to the Hollywood life she wanted all along. I’d want to bail on that, and the GG role would be light work for Harry and return him to HM’s good graces.
For gods sake! Harry showed VERY little interest for the ceremonial part of his (former) life and really does seem to want to be a "regular guy' (with lots of money!) I doubt he would fancy Rideau Hall and I doubt we would fancy him there; I might enjoy spending an evening with him but that's not a reason to make him GG. Canada has noit had a non-Canadian GG for 80+ years and it's certainly not time to start again.

Back