291     0 
News   Sep 27, 2024
 231     0 

Buildings in Toronto that you would like to see restored or renovated

Fineliner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to compile a list of great historic or just plain old buildings in Toronto that need to be restored rather than demolished. Feel free to include and discuss possible uses for the buildings as well. I'd love to get things rolling but I am new to the city and am not very familiar yet.

Well, my first choice would have been the Loblaw warehouse at Lakeshore and Bathurst but the hoardings went up last week.

Second choice: One Spadina Crescent. Not sure why U of T has just let it languish -- it's a great example of neogothicism.

I'd also love to see Upper Canada's first parliament rebuilt at Front and Parliament but that's not quite what you're talking about.

I was coming in here to post One Spadina Crescent. Agreed, I'm not sure why it's been neglected.

The Uno Prii buildings in the Annex are gems, but although the one on Prince Arthur is well-maintained, the ones on Walmer could use some love - peeling paint and there have been some unfortunate changes to the balconies over the years.

The two bank buildings on Yonge across from the Eaton Centre. Quite a nice job was done on the 205/209 Yonge Building about fifteen years ago, but then Heritage Toronto moved out. I'm not sure what the status is on it. Its abandoned friend to the south with the fence around it could use a little love, too.

Interestingly I just read today that the Irish businessman who owns 205/209 tried to acquire its neighbour to the south, 197 Yonge, but Parasuco (197's owners) backed out of a deal. The Irish guy mentioned building a small 3 storey residence to the rear of the two, and renovating the structures for use as residences/restaurants. Though Parasuco has plans for a 30+ storey hotel that incorporates 197 Yonge. Either way, it seems those two will be sitting in limbo for quite some time.

My vote for a proper restoration is the Cherry Street Diner, at Front & Cherry Streets. There are plans to restore it as part of the area's redevelopment, but it could be a while. I'd also like to see, in a much less likely scenario (at least in any reasonable timeframe), all of the aging commercial structures lining our main drags restored to their former glory. I'm talking Dundas Street, Queen West (of Spadina), Yonge Street, Spadina, Bathurst, College, Gerrard, Bloor W, Sherbourne, Jarvis... everywhere is full of structures that could very well be ticking timebombs like the Empress Hotel. I'd also like Lalani to be forced to foot the bill for an entire rebuild of that said hotel.

There's a beautiful Italianate commercial block at the corner of Queen and Palmerston that is a little worn. I always fear that it will go up in flames on a cold winter night. There are a lot of High Victorian commercial blocks all along Queen west that are pretty fragile.

I've always thought this little puppy at Yonge and Temperance was quite handsome, and potentially stunning if cleaned up and renovated.

FotoFlexer_Photo.jpg

I was coming in here to post One Spadina Crescent. Agreed, I'm not sure why it's been neglected.

One Spadina Crescent is slated to be renovated to accomodate U of T's Faculty of Architecture, which will be relocating from College Street.

Two buildings that would just shine from being renovated are these two on Yonge north of Wellesley:

577Yonge.jpg

565-571Yonge2.jpg

Back