2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Bloor-Yonge Station Capacity Enhancement

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for this; it now appears to be a real project, albeit in its early stages.

From the big report to Exec. Ctte

Transit Expansion Program –Status Update

Bloor-Yonge Capacity Improvement Current Phase: Initiation and Development

DescriptionThe Bloor-Yonge Capacity Improvement is a TTC project that includes:
•Building an additional platform at Line 2 Yonge Station;
•Modifications to the Line 1 Bloor Station platform;
•Increasing vertical circulation elements and
fire ventilation upgrades to the station; and
•Constructing a new substation.

Drawings here:

installing those mega fans for fire code must cost such ridiculous amounts of money.. It's almost a shame that the existing subway network can't be grandfathered in regarding them. The TTC is spending millions putting one in the bottom of a condo being built on top of the subway further south on line one, I know that.

Just generally the plans above show a ridiculous amount of additional capacity - roughly 4x the vertical circulation capacity plus deeper platforms and better circulation paths better spreading passengers across platforms. Even just the small things like making each staircase have both up and down escalators will make a huge difference.

This won't make any difference if the trains arriving are too full to handle the passengers waiting to board. The biggest choke point here is the frequency and capacity of the trains, not of the station itself.

This won't make any difference if the trains arriving are too full to handle the passengers waiting to board. The biggest choke point here is the frequency and capacity of the trains, not of the station itself.

Frequency is directly impacted by the longest dwell time in the system, and that happens to be Bloor-Yonge. Shaving 10 seconds off dwell time would increase capacity of the entire line by about 5%; potentially 10% if the Yonge extension is built in a style similar to the Spadina extension (2 turnback points).

I don't see how this plan would solve anything on Line 1. With 6 train consist and 4 doors, the dwelling time would just be the same even if the stretch the platform to be 20m wide. If they really want to improve dwelling, they would need the Spanish solution and/or acquire 5 door per car per side trainsets for their next replacement. With no PSDs in place, there's nothing stopping trains from having 5 doorsets. They should really get on the plans of building on of the direction on a new alignment with a new platform instead of these bandage solutions that solves absolutely nothing.

Didn't see a thread for this; it now appears to be a real project, albeit in its early stages.

From the big report to Exec. Ctte

Transit Expansion Program –Status Update

Bloor-Yonge Capacity Improvement Current Phase: Initiation and Development

DescriptionThe Bloor-Yonge Capacity Improvement is a TTC project that includes:
•Building an additional platform at Line 2 Yonge Station;
•Modifications to the Line 1 Bloor Station platform;
•Increasing vertical circulation elements and
fire ventilation upgrades to the station; and
•Constructing a new substation.

Drawings here:

View attachment 179681
It's interesting to see the new platform will be offset from the current one. You see this on older systems like NYC and London.

I don't see how this plan would solve anything on Line 1. With 6 train consist and 4 doors, the dwelling time would just be the same even if the stretch the platform to be 20m wide. If they really want to improve dwelling, they would need the Spanish solution and/or acquire 5 door per car per side trainsets for their next replacement. With no PSDs in place, there's nothing stopping trains from having 5 doorsets. They should really get on the plans of building on of the direction on a new alignment with a new platform instead of these bandage solutions that solves absolutely nothing.

There are a few answers to that.

But before hand, let me say this, irrespective of dwell time, the change is required. Currently, even in routine operation the station is borderline unsafe due to crowding.

Anytime, any thing goes wrong it's an unholy mess.

The station has to be able to hold 2 full trains of passengers exited, and 1 full load pending with some room to spare in order to ensure efficient movement and safety.

Back to the earlier question now..........

Where frequency is depending on dwell time; so too is dwell time dependent on frequency.

IF as proposed, with ATC in effect the TTC can pump more trains per hour, continously through the rush periods, that allows that more people are carried away more quickly and they have less time to accumulate before the next train, which results in less dwell time.

Now, I wouldn't over sell this, as I think latent demand may absorb every bit of new capacity, which is why a Relief Line is desperately needed. But it still makes some positive difference.

The other things is, dwell time is worse at the north end of the Line 1 platform (obviously the whole train waits) but crowding is much heavier where passengers are fed from Line 2.

This will push a meaningful portion of that load further south, where the new escalators and stairs come up from the new platform.

If that measure cuts even 10s, it would very helpful.

That said, look for longer trains in the post ATC and PED era of line 1.

Given the typical timeline of thing getting built in this place, I will check back in 10 years and this thing will still be in design, I mean, if we are lucky.

The report indicates the TTC views this expansion as being needed no later than 2028.

Which presumably means they hope for completion by Q4 2027.

Given that construction is 2 years out, at best; that would give you 6 years..........Union Station notwithstanding........if the contractor isn't incompetent; and/or doesn't have liquidity problems............it should be do-able.

The report indicates the TTC views this expansion as being needed no later than 2028.

Which presumably means they hope for completion by Q4 2027.

Given that construction is 2 years out, at best; that would give you 6 years..........Union Station notwithstanding........if the contractor isn't incompetent; and/or doesn't have liquidity problems............it should be do-able.
You know the most time consuming part of any project in this place is not the construction itself, but the endless studying, designing, debating, fighting for funding, public consultation, TAPA, political meddling, and then more designing, debating, fighting for funding, public consultation...

Does anyone else remember the station before the platforms on Line 1 were widened to their existing configuration? I remember during construction (1990's, I think?), looking up from the southbound platform and seeing the sky through the temporary openings and massive new beams that allowed the platforms on Line 1 to be widened. It gave an immediate connection between under- and above-ground that was amazing.

Back