990     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 406     0 

Best sushi in town?

G

ganjavih

Just wanted to get people's opinions on the best sushi joint in town. Sushi on Bloor seems to win the Now magazine award every year... but what's your favourite sushi place?

isaac2002-kameiboat+greg.jpg

I can be found at Sushi on Bloor, on average, once a month. Good food, good memories, good atmosphere.

I highly recommend.

Sushi Kaji on The Queensway and Hashimoto on Dixie Road are the only two places in town which offer genuinely top grade sushi. They are both just ****ing amazing, and are priced accordingly. Sublime.

A tier down, but still excellent are Hiro on King, Edo on Eglinton, Tempo on College, and Blowfish on King.
Sono at Yonge & Eg is surprisingly good, too.

Japango on Elizabeth is an odd one - I've had meals here that were astoundingly good for the low prices, but I've been disappointed, too. Maybe the single best value in the city when it's on, but too inconsistent to recommend. Avoid the location in the Beach, which doesn't actually seem to be affiliated with the one on Elizabeth. There's also a place in the Beach called Yumei that's pretty good, serving perhaps the largest pieces of fish I've seen anywhere in town.

All the places in the Annex are average, unfortunately, with Sushi on Bloor being a bit better than the others. The reputation and popularity of this place is inexplicable - way beyond the actual quality to be found inside. That's not to say it's 'bad' or anything, because it's certainly not - it's just not great, either (I'm referring only to the food itself).

General tip: in Toronto, go for salmon instead of toro - for some reason it's usually much better, especially in the cheaper places. Also, the following is perhaps more true wrt sushi than with any other kind of food in existence: nineteen times out of twenty, you get what you pay for. Truly good cheap sushi places are extremely, extremely, extremely rare.

Sushi on Bloor is excellent value for the money - it is the best of the cheap sushi joints in town, and that's why it's always mobbed.

Similarly Sushi Inn on Cumberland is my preferred dinnerspot before or after an evening at the eponymous cinema: cheap, cheerful, good food.

I'll second Brain's note on Kaji on the Queensway: unbeliveable. So fresh, one of the courses was still moving, and I'm not kidding. This place only does omikase - chef's choice, which if I remember correctly comes in at either $85 or $120 per person, depending on how hungry you are.

Hiro on King was, in my estimation, no less incredible than Kaji, especially whe it came to smoked items. It's a little cheaper than Kaji.

Omi on Church is moderately expensive too, and the one meal I ate there was very good, if less memorable than the above.

I haven't been to Hashimoto, but friends of mine echo Brian's sentiments about it.

Thanks for all the tips. I went to Sono (Yonge and Eglinton)for lunch today and it was quite good. For a killer spicy tuna hand roll, go to Daily Sushi at 20 Carlton.

Sushi on Bloor is excellent value for the money - it is the best of the cheap sushi joints in town, and that's why it's always mobbed.

How cheap is cheap?

I always eat at Sushi Time...maybe not the best, but the best value I've found...good and filling.

Cheap being the places where you can get an approx. 12 piece (6 nigiri 6 maki) + miso, salad, green tea combo for $10-$12 or so.

There are a lot of places/chains in that range (Sushi Time, Tokyo Sushi, New Generation Sushi, Sushi 2 Go, Sushi Garden, etc. etc.), the best of which I think are Sushi Inn and Sushi on Bloor. Each have their specialties though...

HoSu on Queen West (beside Pages) is a very good cheap place too.

Last night friends of mine reported having a fantastic Valentines Day omikase dinner at Omi on Church.

^^^^Is that you, ganjavih?

I really like Gurei on Queens Quay West, east of Bathurst. Sushi Place on Queen is good too, they have sushi pizza!

In Midtown, Sushi Supreme on Yonge N of Davisville is the best in the area. Great food, service, prices. Its an old Irish pub converted to a Sushi stop.

I also had a great experience at Gurei on the Queens Quay.

Still haven't found any better than Ichiriki (Bloor, just west of Church), where everything on the menu is good (sushi is only a small part of Japanese cuisine).

General tip: in Toronto, go for salmon instead of toro - for some reason it's usually much better, especially in the cheaper places.

A focus on salmon rather than tuna is likely a tip-off that the place is Chinese or Korean run, rather than Japanese. The Japanese tend to prefer tuna (and I've heard that in Japan they turn up their noses at Toro); the Chinese tend to prefer salmon.

Still haven't found any better than Ichiriki (Bloor, just west of Church), where everything on the menu is good (sushi is only a small part of Japanese cuisine).
I know I voted for Hiro a little earlier in this thread, but a recent visit to Ichiriki has me rethinking that. Either way, both are excellent!

I tried Hosu Bistro at Yonge and Eglinton a few weeks back...it was terrible. Don't recommend it.

I was also at the new Queen St. location for Sushi Time last week and I don't care for the change. The new spot (just a few stores east) feels a lot smaller and they're trying to go for a sophisticated feel, though they aren't quite there yet. The new seating arrangement isn't that great and it actually slows down service. Service, overall, is quite a bit slower than before and the narrow part near the entrance where people wait to be seated probably isn't too welcome for the people right beside them eating.

I hope the Bloor & Brunswick location hasn't suffered the same fate.

Takara at Yonge and St/Clair isn't too bad. Reasonably priced - rarely crowded and the staff are friendly. My favorite is their hotpot: various seafood and pork and veggies all mixed up in a hearty bucket with an egg on top....mmmm. Can't go wrong there.

Back