AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Tesla reveals Cybertruck, but breaks its 'unbreakable' windows during unveiling

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNN Business
Updated 5:07 PM EST, Fri November 22, 2019

A Physics Analysis of Tesla's Shattered Cybertruck Windows

During the big reveal of Tesla's electric pickup truck, the vehicle's windows failed an onstage smash test. Here's what might have gone wrong.

Elon Musk says Tesla has received 146,000 orders for its Cybertruck after botched debut

Emma Newburger

• Tesla unveiled the new futuristic pickup truck at a promotional event in Los Angeles last Thursday. The vehicle represents a big metallic trapezoid and will start at $39,900.
  • When Elon Musk tried to showcase the truck's durability by having Tesla's chief designer chuck a metal ball at one of the pickup truck's armored windows, the window ended up cracking.
  • Tesla shares fell 6.1% in Friday trading to close at $333.04.

This new 'truck' is catering to the 'urban trucker'; generally, people who no actual need for one. Admittedly, it is a significant part of light truck sales. I doubt those who actually need one (contractors, farmers, fleets) would be much interested. I say this not knowing the actual specs since coverage of the unveiling seems to have been overshadowed by the 'windowgate'.

The equivalent of pavement queens?

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't think one would buy a Cybertruck to use as a bona-fide replacement for a Ford F150.

German carmaker Audi to slash 9,500 jobs by 2025

Audi has announced it will cut 9,500 jobs by 2025 to make itself more "lean and sustainable," saving €6 billion ($6.6 billion) in costs. Audi will also create 2,000 new jobs, bringing the total number lost to 7,500.

Germany’s Daimler to cut at least 10,000 jobs over 3 years

The Canadian Press
November 29, 2019

BERLIN — German automaker Daimler said Friday that it plans to cut at least 10,000 jobs worldwide by the end of 2022. It plans not to fill some vacant posts and to offer severance packages in Germany to reduce administrative jobs.

The company had said Nov. 14 that it plans to slash costs by 1.4 billion euros ($1.54 billion) by cutting every tenth managerial position and through other measures, but didn’t give details.

A statement released Friday said Daimler had agreed with its employee council on principles to slim down the company structure and the two sides will work on implementation details over the coming weeks.

Kia Canada Celebrates its 1 Millionth Customer

• Kia Canada reaches 1 million cars sold since 1999
  • Iconic Kia Soul was delivered to customer in Sherbrooke, QB
TORONTO, Nov. 29, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Kia’s 20 year anniversary in Canada ends on a high note as it celebrates its 1 millionth vehicle sold in Canada at Kia Sherbrooke in Quebec. Kia launched its operations in Canada in 1999, with only 43 dealers and two models - Sportage and Sephia - and sold 1,417 units in its first year.

Canada charges Volkswagen over diesel emissions scandal

Volkswagen faces dozens of charges in Canada over faking emissions tests. The German car giant is the target of lawsuits in over 50 countries, with the "Dieselgate" scandal already costing the company billions.

A statement released Friday said Daimler had agreed with its employee council on principles to slim down the company structure and the two sides will work on implementation details over the coming weeks.

Why can't we have this here instead of the unproductive and antiquated adversarial nonsense that is employer-union relations?

Anyway, I hope this doesn't mean they're sacking my service rep at Downtown Mercedes. The guy always hooks me up with ahem.....um...."speedy service"...presumably because I'm the most down-to-earth customer they get, not being a wealthy type.

Also, I hope they're keeping all their engineers. What they managed to make my vehicle into is hilarious.

Ford to invest $1.45 billion in two Detroit plants, add 3,000 jobs

Reuters December 17, 2019

Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot sign deal for 50-50 merger

The Canadian Press December 18, 2019

Back