News   Mar 28, 2024
 739     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 495     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 805     0 

Archives of Ontario Humber River photos, 1940s-1950s

Also, re Dawes Rd: that was the former name for Victoria Park N of St. Clair--which made sense because it was its de facto "continuation" before Vic Park was was extended across Taylor/Massey Creek in the early 60s (comparable, perhaps, to the Danforth Road/McCowan continuum S of Lawrence)

One thing I find interesting there is that it looks like there was once a fairly large apartment building NE of the high level Bloor bridge across the Humber--removed, presumably, for the Bloor line's Humber crossing in the 1960s...
Man, you've got good eyes for this. Really, that's impressive. :)

Does anyone have any idea where this, below, might be? There doesn't seem to be Concession 1, Lot 21 in Vaughan, or anyplace north of Steeles Avenue, as far as I can tell; but I'm no expert. Maybe one of you is...?
View attachment 260202

I'm guessing in the area between Yonge and Bathurst (1st concession block) in Thornhill. There is no Lot 21, although Lot 31 touches a pond in the river course. Mislabelled maybe?

Untitledx.jpg

PS: Did you see my post in your 2nd Line thread?

I'm guessing in the area between Yonge and Bathurst (1st concession block) in Thornhill. There is no Lot 21, although Lot 31 touches a pond in the river course. Mislabelled maybe?

View attachment 300663

PS: Did you see my post in your 2nd Line thread?
Thanks for that, that bears investigating! And yeah, I did... I love your videos. :)

Thank you so much for uploading these. They are fascinating. As someone who walks the Humber trails often, I can't get over those Hurricane Hazel pictures.

Regarding the set of pictures which you suggest are of the Flindon Road bridge over the Humber, I think they are in fact what the captions say they are, pictures of the Albion Rd Bridge over the West Branch of the Humber, which is a little farther NW along Albion, approaching old Thistletown. The pictures match the Salmon pictures of the Albion West Branch bridge in the TPL photo archives, and the poured concrete abutments do not match the stone abutments in pictures (past and present) of the Flindon bridge (or Old Albion Rd Bridge, or Musson's Bridge, as it was also called). The trusses are also different.
By the time of Hurricane Hazel, the old Albion truss bridge over the West Branch had been replaced by a concrete bridge, and this is visible in another of your pictures, but it's mislabeled as being of the Weston bridge over the West Branch of the Humber, when in fact it's Albion.
The last of this set of pictures in your collection, of a smaller truss bridge, is a mystery. Could it be a predecessor of that West Branch bridge?

Thanks again for making these available. I appreciate it.

Back