News   Sep 27, 2024
 533     0 
News   Sep 27, 2024
 991     1 
News   Sep 27, 2024
 435     0 

Annex Town5 (126 Spadina Road, Joy Developments, 3s, Steven Fong)

I really like little projects like this. The punchline to the right is, well, ghastly. 905 barbarism in the heart of the Annex :(

I live just south of here (100 Spadina) and pass this often. The view from my balcony was temporarily poisoned by that giant plastic pastry in a sea of otherwise beautiful old Annex houses, so I was very happy to see this newer development go up beside it, which not only hides its pasty wall from my view, but promises much better architecture. They will certainly look bizarre juxtaposed so closely, though, when this one is complete.

Who on earth allowed this nightmare to get built? Did the community really accept this design? I feel guilty for not having opposed this due to being oblivious at the time of its proposal. It's like a Disney World backdrop, a suburban cartoon of the real houses that surround it.

Seriously? I assume the developers are adults, but they're using a 5 for an S?

Anyway, decent little project. (The less said about the monstrosity to the right of it, the better.)

Seriously? I assume the developers are adults, but they're using a 5 for an S?
Anyway, decent little project. (The less said about the monstrosity to the right of it, the better.)

Substituting letters for numbers was the trendy thing to do about 10 years ago.
It's a play on words: Annex Towns and Annex Town Five (meaning 5 townhouses).

All 5 units are available for sale.
I am curious about the layout, as they are all about the same size (1,414 to 1,434 sq.ft.), all the same price ($965,000 each), all have multi levels, and each have their own rooftop terrace. From the street it looks like two townhouses, maybe there's another three in the back.

I remember seeing the monstroscity next door for sale not too long ago for about $1.4million I believe.
It was really bizzare inside. It was set up as one huge family home with potential of being divided into three apartments.
The two front doors is currently set up to open to one foyer space.
The fire hydrant right directly infront of the entry is adding insult to injury -- almost comical.

Last edited:
The fire hydrant right directly infront of the entry is adding insult to injury -- almost comical.

Doesn't that suggest an imminent feng shui nightmare?

I'm not sure they used stucco to finish that house. It might icing.

sorry but I think the home floorplans are awful. no bathroom without walking through someone's bedroom. tiny with one room stacked on top of the other. definitely not worth the money IMHO besides the great location

Photos taken 5 January 2013

IMG_2229_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2230_1-XL.jpg

I have no idea what style that thing on the right is trying to replicate but it the end result is that it looks like a doll house. Off the top of my head, I can't recall seeing such a mismatched pair.

sorry but I think the home floorplans are awful. no bathroom without walking through someone's bedroom. tiny with one room stacked on top of the other. definitely not worth the money IMHO besides the great location

No need to be sorry, the floorplans are indeed pretty bad.
Each townhouse is incredibly compact, one room per floor. The kitchens are smaller than those found in a condo studio unit and there is really no space for a real dining area. The only outdoor space is on the roof where you have to walk up 3 flights of tight stairs and through the master bedroom to get to it.
Unit #3 is sandwiched between the two front units on Spadina and the two rear units on the alley. The windows face brick house next door and it looks like it doesn't get much light.

according to mls 3 of the 5 homes are listed for sale through the same agent.

not a good sign but not surprising either

so much potential but set up soooo poorly. what a waste

I think we can all agree the building is not to our taste but one can't oppose a building because it is not to one's taste. If it is not according to urban design guidelines you can have an impact but you can't just kill a development proposal because it is not to your taste. And frankly, that is correct I think. Whose taste is "right". If you put your money up and built next to that building, that building's owner might hate your building. But he shouldn't be able to kill your development. D
I live just south of here (100 Spadina) and pass this often. The view from my balcony was temporarily poisoned by that giant plastic pastry in a sea of otherwise beautiful old Annex houses, so I was very happy to see this newer development go up beside it, which not only hides its pasty wall from my view, but promises much better architecture. They will certainly look bizarre juxtaposed so closely, though, when this one is complete.

Who on earth allowed this nightmare to get built? Did the community really accept this design? I feel guilty for not having opposed this due to being oblivious at the time of its proposal. It's like a Disney World backdrop, a suburban cartoon of the real houses that surround it.

Actually, quite the opposite, I wish more buildings were opposed on the basis of ugliness. That wedding cake/doll house monstrosity is indefensibly ugly, and I woudn't wish it upon any place in the GTA. We should be able to do much better in this day and age.

Back