News   Apr 22, 2024
 782     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 262     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 669     0 

Allan Gardens Revitalization Plan

I just drove past Allen Gardens on Saturday and was shocked to see how many tents were set up. Unacceptable.
What I just cannot understand is why this was allowed. Sure, we had Covid and reductions in shelter space, but there are no tents in High Park, Queens Park or Craigleigh Gardens. When the very first tent showed up Toronto's bylaw enforcement officers should have been right on it, shut it down. Our local councillor, Chris Moise seems a useless tit on this file. Our park has been occupied.

What I just cannot understand is why this was allowed. Sure, we had Covid and reductions in shelter space, but there are no tents in High Park, Queens Park or Craigleigh Gardens. When the very first tent showed up Toronto's bylaw enforcement officers should have been right on it, shut it down. Our local councillor, Chris Moise seems a useless tit on this file. Our park has been occupied.

See: https://www.chrismoise.ca/allan_gardens_march_2023_update

I'm not really sure how that answers the question ? In other areas of the city they have indeed evicted / removed these encampments have they not ? But not here ?

I'm not really sure how that answers the question ? In other areas of the city they have indeed evicted / removed these encampments have they not ? But not here ?
Yes, I agree it is not clear why some tents are removed and some parks are cleared but Moise's statement seems to show he wants Allen Gardens cleared.

Another case of Toronto plays whack-a-Mole with homeless encampments, where encampments are cleared from one neighborhood and then pop up again in another nearby park or even the same park in a few months from now.

Another case of Toronto plays whack-a-Mole with homeless encampments, where encampments are cleared from one neighborhood and then pop up again in another nearby park or even the same park in a few months from now.
They only appear to pop up in certain downtown parks however.

I wouldn't say it's only a downtown thing, but mainly yeah - up here in NYCC we do have a few as well.

Latest update from Chris Moise

Latest update from Chris Moise

Let me bring the text of that forward.

I think its important, that a fairly progressive councillor has essentially just called for full enforcement action.

1685026329782.png

1685026357867.png

1685026388166.png

I walked through Allan Gardens today on my way to Doors Open and it‘s a sh#tshow. I saw three junkies fighting over a campsite or whatnot. The park has been taken over.

And when our councillor talks about solutions (all of which are not within the city’s power) instead of action I just want to scream.

Last edited:
I walked through Allan Gardens today on my way to Doors Open and it‘s a sh#tshow. I saw three junkies fighting over a campsite or whatnot. The park has been taken over.

And when our councillor talks about solutions (all of which are not within the city’s power) instead of action I just want to scream.
Did you read Moise's statement above? Do you expect him to go there and evict people himself, he is saying the time for talk has passed and IS calling for action by the City. Not quite sure what you expect him to do.

Did you read Moise's statement above? Do you expect him to go there and evict people himself, he is saying the time for talk has passed and IS calling for action by the City. Not quite sure what you expect him to do.
Moise can’t do anything, and to his credit he reminds us in the piece above of his (and presumably any councillor’s) uselessness in this matter. But what I’d like to hear Moise say is that Toronto Police and By-Law Enforcement are preparing a plan to clear the park. If they could send in the boots at Alexandra Park to successfully clear the park, why are we getting the pussyfooted approach at Allan Gardens?

Some leisure reading here.

Back