News   Apr 24, 2024
 980     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

950 Dupont St (@ Dovercourt, renovations)

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure to what extent they're going to be renovating here, but I saw some work on the interior walls.

I remember several years ago there were rumours of Bellwoods Brewery opening here but nothing materialized afterwards for that. The glass warehouse is occasionally used for events, most notably for a NBA playoffs event last year that I got to check out.

Aug 29, 2020

20200829_072610.jpg
20200829_072638.jpg
20200829_072652.jpg
20200829_072724.jpg

Not sure to what extent they're going to be renovating here, but I saw some work on the interior walls.

I remember several years ago there were rumours of Bellwoods Brewery opening here but nothing materialized afterwards for that. The glass warehouse is occasionally used for events, most notably for a NBA playoffs event last year that I got to check out.

Aug 29, 2020
Bellwoods backed out when they got hold of the Hafis Road facility.

Subject to an Ontario Superior Court judgment of May 11, 2023: https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2023/2023onsc2845/2023onsc2845.html

The landlord of 950 Dupont, 1896941 Ontario Limited, has been ordered to vacate the premises by June 10, honour a 20 year lease to Bellwoods, pay Bellwoods $6.1-million in damages, and pay interest on the damages from August 1, 2016, to May 11, 2023.

Here's the summary at the top of the judgment:

ROBERT CENTA J.

[1] Mike Clark and Luke Pestl founded the plaintiff, Bellwoods Brewery Inc., to brew craft beer. Since 2012, Bellwoods has operated a brewery, retail store, restaurant, and bar from a location on Ossington Avenue in Toronto. By all accounts, Bellwoods has enjoyed critical acclaim and strong customer support. Mr. Clark testified that Bellwoods could not brew enough beer to meet demand and that patrons frequently lined up to wait for a seat at the Ossington restaurant. Given its early success, Bellwoods looked to expand to a second location. In November 2013, Bellwoods appointed Lennard Commercial Realty to assist Bellwoods to lease or purchase new brewery and related facilities.
[2] At about the same time, Pat Johnson, the principal of the defendant, 1896841 Ontario Limited, retained a real estate agent to lease a portion of the building it owned at 950 Dupont Street, which is located at the corner of Dovercourt Road in Toronto. 950 Dupont is an extraordinary building, which used to house a manufacturing plant. The western portion of 950 Dupont is comprised of an 11,000 square foot glass box with 40-foot ceilings. The glass box shares an interior wall with a brick portion of the property immediately to the east of the glass box.
[3] In January 2014, Lennard told Bellwoods about the leasing opportunity at 950 Dupont. Bellwoods was extremely interested in the property. The parties engaged in protracted negotiations throughout 2014 and into 2015. During the negotiations, 1896841 Ontario Limited was represented by an experienced commercial real estate brokerage and a real estate lawyer. Bellwoods was represented by Lennard and its own lawyer.
[4] On May 21, 2015, 1896841 Ontario Limited (the “Landlord”) and Bellwoods signed a 20-year lease agreement. Pursuant to the lease, Bellwoods would rent the glass box and part of the brick building. The lease permitted Bellwoods to use the leased premises as a brewery, a restaurant and bar, public event space, retail beer store, and ancillary office space.
[5] Unfortunately, Bellwoods never occupied the leased premises. Bellwoods commenced this action alleging that the Landlord breached the lease and seeking an order of specific performance. The Landlord counterclaimed for unpaid rent. Lennard sued the Landlord and others for its unpaid commission. All of these actions proceeded to trial before me.
[6] For the reasons set out below, I find that the Landlord breached the lease when it failed to vacate the leased premises. Bellwoods gave the Landlord many opportunities to live up to the obligations under the lease. The Landlord completely disregarded these obligations. Bellwoods did not breach the lease and the Landlord’s counterclaim is dismissed.
[7] I find that ordering specific performance of the lease rather than its monetary equivalent betters serves justice between the parties. Bellwoods is also entitled to damages to reflect the delay in its operations at 950 Dupont that would have commenced on August 1, 2016, but for the Landlord’s breach of the lease.
[8] Finally, I dismiss Lennard’s action because its contract did not entitle it to a commission unless and until Bellwoods occupied the leased premises.

Some pretty juicy stuff in there:
[35] The Landlord concedes that it took longer than 30 days to clean out the glass box, that it never cleared out the portion of the leased premises it used as a furniture showroom, and that Appliance Love continued to occupy the leased premises until well after November 2016. Moreover, Mr. Johnson gave evidence that he knew that Bellwoods wanted the space to be empty and for him not to use the space at all. He explained that he did not vacate the leased premises because he “didn’t want to.”
[39] On November 17, 2015, Bellwoods delivered a demand letter to the Landlord. Bellwoods took the position that the Landlord had breached the lease because it had neither vacated the leased premises nor left them free of inventory. Bellwoods demanded that the Landlord vacate immediately and confirmed that it was not waiving any of its rights under the lease. Bellwoods noted that the Landlord’s breach of the lease was delaying Bellwoods’ preparation of the drawings, the renovations, and its opening date because none of those steps could happen until the Landlord vacated the leased premises.

[40] Remarkably, neither the Landlord nor its lawyer ever responded to this letter.
[50] On November 17, 2016, counsel for Bellwoods wrote to counsel for the Landlord to advise that Bellwoods took the position that the Landlord was now in breach of both the lease and the June agreement. Bellwoods asked for additional information about when the Landlord would actually vacate the leased premises so that it could consider its position.

[51] On December 2, 2016, counsel for Bellwoods sent a follow-up letter to counsel for the Landlord and asked for a response to his November 17 letter. The Landlord did not respond to this follow-up letter. When asked why he did not respond to the letters, Mr. Johnson stated that he “just didn’t bother” to respond because “I never felt I was in breach of anything. I never felt there was a breach at all.”
[56] From the day the Landlord signed the lease, Mr. Johnson behaved as if the lease did not exist. He repeatedly breached his promises to Bellwoods that he would vacate shortly. He breached a formal agreement that he entered into through counsel with Bellwoods. He rented out the space for the Valentine’s Day party and then lied to Bellwoods about cancelling the event. Mr. Johnson also rented out the space to Vans. In closing submissions, the Landlord took the position that it did not breach the lease by renting the space to third parties because those rentals did not interfere with the construction stage. The Landlord submits that it was not required to keep the leased premises vacant.

[57] I disagree. The Landlord was required to vacate the leased premises. I see nothing in the text or structure of the lease to suggest that the Landlord could rent the leased premises to a third party even though the Landlord itself had to leave the space. Moreover, each of these events brought inventory and debris into the leased premises that were to have been removed. The Landlord’s interpretation of the lease makes no commercial sense. I asked Mr. Johnson if, from his perspective, the lease permitted him to put those events into the leased premises. He replied “I don’t know. I never looked into it. I just knew the space was empty…[and thought] let’s just make a little bit of money.”

Imagine signing a 20-year commercial lease and then just... not vacating the space because you weren't in the mood?

Very interesting read! It will be a pretty incredible space if it's still proceeding as detailed in there...

[77] b. It had space on the roof for a patio that could hold 300 people and a second patio on the western side of the building for 70 people. Mr. Clark had obtained the necessary approvals for the patios prior to signing the lease. Under the lease, Bellwoods would pay no rent for the approximately 7,000 square feet of patio space.
[77] d. The building had sufficient space and versatility that Bellwoods could use it for brewing, a restaurant, a bar, a bottle shop, and a separate events space. The lease was for 25,000 square feet plus another 12,000 square feet of patio and mezzanine space that Bellwoods would receive rent free.
[114] Bellwoods intended to operate a restaurant at 950 Dupont. Mr. Dwytie assumed that the restaurant would have 180 indoor seats, plus 70 seats on the ground floor patio and 232 seats on the roof top patio.

That was a well-written and gutsy judgment by a recently appointed judge. It made for a good read.

The assumption at the time of trial seems to be that the brewery will open June 1, 2024. I think it will be an uphill battle for Bellwoods to get enough co-operation from this deadbeat landlord to have that pan out, let alone collect on the judgment, but I wish them the best of luck.

What I want to know is - why was Ballmatics Academy allowed to occupy the space for the last few years when Bellwoods already had a lease on it? I hope Ballmatics sues the landlord as well since they'll be forced out by this judgement.

What I want to know is - why was Ballmatics Academy allowed to occupy the space for the last few years when Bellwoods already had a lease on it? I hope Ballmatics sues the landlord as well since they'll be forced out by this judgement.
the landlord rented the space to a few different tenants after signing the bellwoods lease

uchenna just got a bunch of new flooring delivered too, definitely a lawsuit in the offing

Back