News   Apr 23, 2024
 150     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 883     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 291     0 

70's-era CN Tower photos wanted: inside construction, antenna signing, opening day...

CN Tower people cutting a 40th anniv cake.jpg

These are some of the core people who came to build the CN Tower between 1973 and 1976. I had worked with these people over the last 5 years as part of my ongoing CN Tower historical project. The presentation and reunion was timed to coincide with the CN Tower's official opening 40 years ago on June 26th 1976. Reunion coordinated by Robert C. Lansdale.

Top row, left to right: Gerry Morrow (CANRON engineer; he came up with the idea of the tower's can-stacking method for the antenna by the Sikorsky "Olga" helicopter), Albert Ting (CANRON engineer) and Tony Di Giovanni (worked on the CN Tower along with his labour foreman brother Danny).

Bottom row, left to right: Dr. Eli Robinsky (91, UofT professor and civil engineer. He ventured 150ft down 30" pipes in 1971-72 to investigate the foundation and risk his life in the process), George Rumble (he and his company excavated the CN Tower's foundation, 1972-1974), Andre Jordan (Foundation Co., overall project manager for the CN Tower, 1971-1975), Bob Bronstein (CANRON, site supervisor of the SkyPod, antenna and other 1974-1976 steel erection work).

Missing: Doug Sumner (CN Tower's concrete & slipform engineer)

Attachments

• CN Tower people cutting a 40th anniv cake.jpg
    CN Tower people cutting a 40th anniv cake.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 1,718
Showing fragment of the slipform.jpg

Gerry Morrow (ex-CANRON) shows off a portion of the CN Tower's original slipform plywood which was used to form the tower's shaft (June 1973 to March 1974). The framed fragment provided by Andre Jordan. Left to right = Gerry Morrow (he came up with the idea of the tower's can-stacking method for the antenna by the Sikorsky "Olga" helicopter), Bob Bronstein (CANRON, site supervisor of the SkyPod, antenna and other 1974-1976 steel erection work), Andre Jordan (Foundation Co., overall project manager for the CN Tower, 1971-1975) and Eli Robinsky's wife Marisha (Eli was a UofT professor and civil engineer who provided the soil & foundation analysis for the CN Tower between 1971 and 1972). This photo is from a presentation and reunion which was put on to coincide with the CN Tower's official opening 40 years ago on June 26th 1976. Reunion coordinated by Robert C. Lansdale.

Attachments

• Showing fragment of the slipform.jpg
    Showing fragment of the slipform.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 1,544
Sorry to hijack this thread, but if anyone has any shots of Toronto (Yorkville in particular) from the late 60s I'd be very interested to see them, especially any counter-culture/hippie activity/sit-ins/be-ins/protests etc.

I found this thread when I did a Google search for "Sky Hook Construction Brampton."

I recently bought an old industrial cabinet that was used for holding machine tooling from an ad on Kijiji. Once I had it outside, I removed all of the drawers to make it light enough to lift onto my trailer. With the drawers out I saw a bunch of paper stuck in the back of the cabinet that had obviously fallen out of one of the drawers and down inside during the process of opening and closing the cabinet at some time in the past. The papers were all machinists' work orders from the summer and fall of 1975. One of them I have attached. It is an order for 600 hardened-steel square washers for Sky Hook Construction, 200 of which were required for Wednesday July 2 and the balance the following day.

I would be interested to hear opinions about the timeline and whether washers like this would have been needed for their work on the CN tower. It boggles my mind that this work order may have been lost in the cabinet 3 years before I was even born lol.
sFqNpRj.jpg

sFqNpRj.jpg

Back