Toronto 480 Adelaide West | 8m | 2s | Fineway Properties | Ferdinand Wagner Architect

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

480 ADELAIDE ST W
Ward 10: Spadina-Fort York

Application Number: 22 205982 STE 10 MV
Application Type: Minor Variance
Date Submitted: 20/09/2022

Description: To construct a new two-storey building (to be used as a restaurant) with a rooftop patio.

----------
For the NW corner of Adelaide & Maud:

maud.JPG

I always thought that this property would be eventually combined with 490 Adelaide and something up to 17 storeys would be built here (similar to Minto’s 123 Portland next to it). A 2-storey building seems like such a waste, a 5- or 6-storey commercial building would work nicely here.

Several years ago, the combined properties of 480 and 490 Adelaide St W were listed for sale as a redevelopment site. Although uncertain of came about it afterwards.

Perhaps, the 2-storey restaurant may a short to mid term plan to make the most of that useable space until something more substantial gets conjured up.

From 2018:

34513-117066.png

I understand wanting the built form of something more significant here, but having a restaurant with a rooftop patio right next to the park is also great IMO and maybe even better and will add vibrancy to the area.

I'm in favour of significant intensification throughout the city but also that doesn't mean every site needs to be intensified fully. Small buildings and variety of buildings can still be good for different purposes. And in this case a rooftop patio on the third floor amid the city right next to the park is still a great outcome for the city.

And very likely the site will be redeveloped again at some point in the future — but in the meantime we get a patio to add vibrancy to the area and observe the rest of the vibrant and intensifying city around it from.

A dinky little structure, but for something that is expected to be a medium-term stopgap then it's alright. Especially as its main benefit anticipated is that it provides space for a restaurant.

I have a lot of nostalgia with this block. My mom used to work as a garmento at the 490 Adelaide West building when I was a kid.

A dinky little structure, but for something that is expected to be a medium-term stopgap then it's alright. Especially as its main benefit anticipated is that it provides space for a restaurant.

I have a lot of nostalgia with this block. My mom used to work as a garmento at the 490 Adelaide West building when I was a kid.

Makes me feel a bit better knowing this isn't a long-term building.

This space would be a good opportunity to compliment Waterworks Food Hall and the beautifully redone St Andrews Playground. This small block has the potential to be our version of a Spanish plaza surrounded by restraints and little shops.

Property listed for sale at $16.975 million:

Fantastic Corner Lot in the heart of Downtown Toronto on Prestigious Adelaide Street West! Just steps from King & Portland. Property includes vacant 4 storey building with rooftop deck. Great for User or Investor or Developer. Building can be rented as is or terrific opportunity to build your own commercial dream property! Lots of parking: 23 spaces. Includes drawings that were approved at COA for the site with Zero setbacks. Buyer can use existing 1693 sq.ft basement and build approx. 4500 sq.ft first floor and 4500 Sq.ft Second floor -plus stunning rooftop patio! Building permit for approved future restaurant/nightclub structure is ready for pick up subject to payment of fees. Must See! Don't miss out on this one of kind opportunity in one of the hottest, Most Sought After Downtown Toronto Neighbourhoods! (34938077)

Back