2.2K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 937     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     3 

401- The Busiest Highway in North America

:)

c7274181.png

Well, you could do better with the horizon... but it's hard to find a matching shot, and I didn't really want to spend (waste) more than half an hour or so just for a visual gag. Wouldn't mind if it really did look like this, though. Sometimes. :)

There are so many generic slab towers that you see while driving the 401 that the NY Towers seem impressive when you get to them, in spite of being pure kitsch. More recent city-building endeavours look more attractive while driving by like North York City Centre and Scarborough City Centre in terms of the skyline, but there are still so many dull apartment towers that one may wonder "where's the architecture?".

Last edited:
driving on the 401 at times can be insane.... no matter how fast you drive people are always passing you.

driving on the 401 at times can be insane.... no matter how fast you drive people are always passing you.

The worst I've personally ever seen it wasn't even really close to Toronto. I was coming home from Kingston in the late 90s, back when it was just two lanes each way (it might still be, for all I know), and I was in the slow lane and had people right on my bumper pushing me along at 150 km/h while people were passing me on the left. I've never seen anything like it, before or since.

Has anyone driven the 401 east in Scarborough through the GTA? Today with all the rain, the new 'white', bright centre lighting seems to blind the lane markers. I've got 20/20 vision, but many of us drivers wer having trouble keeping a lane this evening. Does anyone know if they ever plan to have embedded lane markers? Sections with the (sodium?) red/orange tinge is much easier to see the lane markers.

Back