News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 474     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It boggles my mind this video came from a guy who was TTC commissioner.

What's that Brad? Sorry, I couldn't hear you over all the pandering and opportunism.

Drab Drabford.

Honestly I thought that's a requirement for Tory's TTC appointees. The more synophant, useless they are, the more likely you will get on it.

AoD

I think there's a real chance she loses her re-election bid, especially if the centre and right unite around one candidate, a la Ken Sim in Vancouver or Mark Sutcliffe in Ottawa.
In this political climate I think the chances of the right uniting around anyone are pretty low. Too much of a platform is being given to the far right, which ostensibly seems to be full of grifters and opportunists. It's probably why we have 102 candidates that include the likes of Anthony Furey, Giorgio Mammoliti, and Chris Sky.

The right barely voted for Tory in 2014. It was centrists who voted him into power, and I think it's centrists handing Chow the seat.

In this political climate I think the chances of the right uniting around anyone are pretty low. Too much of a platform is being given to the far right, which ostensibly seems to be full of grifters and opportunists. It's probably why we have 102 candidates that include the likes of Anthony Furey, Giorgio Mammoliti, and Chris Sky.

The right barely voted for Tory in 2014. It was centrists who voted him into power, and I think it's centrists handing Chow the seat.

I actually passed a Chris Sky rally on the weekend. It was on BIrchmount just north of Lawrence on Saturday.

Small gathering but every freedom loving, anti-vax yahoo was out there supporting him.

Though honestly the current round of election is a bit of a Trojan Horse - considering the fiscal crunch the city is in. I would have preferred to see Tories and their allies sleep in the bed they have made - rather than be the sacrificial lamb for them.

AoD

I should note that I still don't think Chow has this election in the bag. I'm not sure how accurate polling is during an election that is garnering minimal interest.

I don't doubt Chow is leading, but perhaps her lead isn't as strong as it appears. Also, we don't know if a Rob Ford or John Tory endorsement for a candidate could propel them to win.

I should note that I still don't think Chow has this election in the bag. I'm not sure how accurate polling is during an election that is garnering minimal interest.

I don't doubt Chow is leading, but perhaps her lead isn't as strong as it appears. Also, we don't know if a Rob Ford or John Tory endorsement for a candidate could propel them to win.

Doug Ford sort of it with Saunders. I for one am more curious about what he did as the special advisor for OP for his price.

AoD

Though honestly the current round of election is a bit of a Trojan Horse - considering the fiscal crunch the city is in. I would have preferred to see Tories and their allies sleep in the bed they have made - rather than be the sacrificial lamb for them.

AoD
Better to get some of it done and have the mayor get negative press than continue on the same road of austerity we've been going down for 13 years. We're at a breaking point that we can't afford to ignore.

Better to get some of it done and have the mayor get negative press than continue down the same road of austerity we've been going down for 13 years.

I beg to differ on this - suffering is unavoidable, so it stands to reason to make those who is responsible for it own the decisions - instead of posturing against it on the side and then come back sanctimoniously after someone else had taken care of it. This is what gets bad leaders elected again and again.

AoD

I beg to differ on this - suffering is unavoidable, so it stands to reason to make those who is responsible for it own the decisions.

AoD
The leaders responsible rarely suffer consequences; so let's stanch the city's wounds first.

Last edited:
Better to get some of it done and have the mayor get negative press than continue on the same road of austerity we've been going down for 13 years. We're at a breaking point that we can't afford to ignore.

and then get a new Mayor in 4 years looking to end the gravy train, cutting even further.

So this conversation is from a few pages back but I want to drag it up again because I want to address it head on: the idea that certain candidates will work well with other elected politicians like Ford and others (Chow or Matlow) will not.

This sort of criticism is levied at all kinds of politicians but it never bears out in reality. There was once a time that the most unliked, independent councilor on council was Rob Ford. Then he became mayor and suddenly he had all kinds of friends and allies.

If Ford and Chow have some policy in common, they will work together to achieve it. They'd be idiots not to. They do want to screw each other over, but they want to be re-elected more, and being able to pass policy smoothly is a political win.

If they disagree, then so what? Let them fight. That's politics baby. Our job as voters is not to read the tea leaves to try to elect someone who can be best friends with the premier.

And what if the premier changes? We elect Mark Saunders or whoever so that he can get along with Doug to "get stuff done". Then the PCs lose the next election and we have Mark Saunders trying to get along with Premier Marit Stiles. Then what?

Another thing: the idea that we have a political spectrum in this country is laughable. You need a microscope to find the difference between Canadian left and right. They all get along fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back