News   Apr 24, 2024
 183     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 492     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 3K     7 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bradford: King Streetcar Express Zone Offers Practical Solution to Metrolinx Mess

From link.

Brad Bradford’s plan to untangle downtown gridlock with King Streetcar Express Zone

20230425-streetcar-bradford__1_.jpg
My response.
👎

After Chow, Matlow: "I announced this week that, as Mayor, I will unite local leaders in the region to push back against our bully Premier..." This is about the greenbelt. Can anyone tell those people that they are not running provincially, and that insulting leaders of other levels of government is unhelpful? (Yes, I will email his team about it.)

In some cases, like the 2010 Toronto mayor's race, David Miller was seen as a left leaning mayor who was out of touch, thus Rob Ford's slow growing right leaning campaign was looked at as the best alternative - basically, residents had enough of the left leaning politics of David Miller.
Actually, it was more that residents never warmed to the mushy-middle politics (and not-so-mushy-middle personality) of George Smitherman (and Joe Pantalone was basically a placeholder).

I'm also trying to remember if there were polls showing that Miller would have actually won had he run again in '10. (Much like John Tory now, in fact)

Will be "vetoed" by Premier Doug Ford, because that would fall into his "vision" for the Greater Toronto Area.

If Doug veto's it publicly then a "Provincially mandated Gardiner repair tax" line can be added to property taxes above any other typical increase, and the Gardiner allocated future-debt can still be moved to other projects.

It gives the mayor and council an immediate out for raising taxes to pay for that project. They can blame at the province and be entirely correct.

Where is the greenbelt under threat in Toronto? Stay on target Gold Leader.
It's only fair that a premier who pushes his grip so hard into democratically elected municipal politics, gets pushback on his own turf. But yes, this is not something to propose in an election. Save it for after.

Bradford is both doing/saying odd things and not doing/saying things that make sense. Very odd.

1683404945245.png

Put aside that the above message reads as rather name-calling and childish, and that I disagree with it; .......I still don't get it strategically....

Meanwhile, he's got people fired up in his own constituency, he seems to be blocking people left/right on FB, ignoring resident phone calls from middle-of-the-road reasonable types and otherwise behaving in a way that would seem likely to make it difficult to get anywhere politically in this town irrespective of one's ideological or partisan leanings.

Last edited:
I don't get the strategy either. A lot of the people who vote for him for council are NDP/Liberal swing voters Federally and Provincially, so the "NDP" name doesn't scare them. But I do think the Gardiner issue is a good one to bring up, a lot of people don't like idea of losing the Gardiner. It's also a vague statement, reads as though Chow wants to eliminate all of the Gardiner, including the west portion of it, which has never really been an issue. Any recent polling on the % of people for removing the Gardiner? I don't think it's a good position for Chow to take in a campaign.

Bradford is really giving "christ, what an asshole" vibes with this "captured by the NDP activist agenda" stuff. Pairing this way of talking with the peace sign in his name adds an extra layer lol. Peace, except for when I'm being a jerk.

I am worried though that Chow diving right into the Gardiner issue (and progressives having to face it in general) may hurt them in the campaign. At this point the politics of "just stick to one plan and don't tear it down" may win out even if it's not the best option.

Last edited:

Back