News   Mar 28, 2024
 205     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 610     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SJD_Toronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
With John Tory leaving, a by-election is likely to be announced for later this year. Let's start taking some guesses as to who might be running to become the 66th Mayor of Toronto.

With John Tory leaving, a by-election is likely to be announced for later this year. Let's start taking some guesses as to who might be running to become the 66th Mayor of Toronto.
The way things are going in recent years, the province could use it's powers to save the city council the cost of having a new election, and appoint a new mayor (regardless of residency).

Seriously, I've long seen Brad Bradford as some kind of "establishment fauxgressive" anointed successor to John Tory. So look out for *him*.

(And I remember ages ago--heck, going back to the Miller era--sounding a "watch Michael Thompson" note re potential mayoral bids. And oh irony when it comes to subsequent sex scandals *there*...)

An election will be held within 60 days of the seat being declared vacant by Council, per the new Strong Mayors, Building Homes Act.

Edit: election must be called within 60 days

Last edited:
Gil Penalosa has already put his name in. I'm happy he ran in 2022 when there wasn't really anyone else (though I became more and more impressed by Chloe Brown during the late part of that campaign) but I don't think he has what it takes for a wide open race.
Unfortunately, we're stuck with first-past-the-post ballots. I would have included him in my list of preferred candidates. Now, we have to see who else in the list of candidates.

An example where the outcome goes wrong with first-past-the post balloting is shown by the almagamation of the cities of Fort William, Port Arthur, and the geographic townships of Neebing and McIntyre. In 1969, a referendum was held to decide on its name. The results were: "Thunder Bay" - 15,870; "Lakehead" - 15,302; and "The Lakehead" - 8,377. This vote splitting caused a large controversy in the city.

Gil Penalosa has already put his name in. I'm happy he ran in 2022 when there wasn't really anyone else (though I became more and more impressed by Chloe Brown during the late part of that campaign) but I don't think he has what it takes for a wide open race.
If you asked me ~4 months ago, I would've absolutely said that Gil is the best option. But dear lord his rhetoric against the streetcars on Twitter has absolutely torpedoed my opinion of him.

If you asked me ~4 months ago, I would've absolutely said that Gil is the best option. But dear lord his rhetoric against the streetcars on Twitter has absolutely torpedoed my opinion of him.
Me too. I voted for him in the last election but won't consider him this time around for that reason. Also, hearing him speak on the radio today, I realized that I don't want to deal with having to decipher his thick accent all the time.

Here's The Star's list of would-be Mayoral contenders:

Its behind the paywall, but I'll share their pic here as that will give most of the requisite names:

1676200228846.png

Interesting to see that the print edition of the Star only had 8 on the front page, relegating Bradford, Layton, and Cho to page 6.

Back