News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 964     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     3 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

That's been the official line out of Russian from the beginning; that Ukraine is neither a legitimate county or culture. I don't know enough about the history of the area to know if that is an established Russian cultural view or simply Russian military doctrine to de-humanize the enemy.

That's been the official line out of Russian from the beginning; that Ukraine is neither a legitimate county or culture. I don't know enough about the history of the area to know if that is an established Russian cultural view or simply Russian military doctrine to de-humanize the enemy.

It's always been the case that Russia sees Ukraine as inferior.

It dates back to when Catherine the Great took Crimea from them in the late 1700s.

That war was seen as a great victory for Russia.

It dates back to when Catherine the Great took Crimea from them in the late 1700s.

There's imperialism in history and culture. But Russia was perfectly fine with recognizing Ukrainian sovereignty after the end of the Soviet Union. So what we're seeing now is most certainly a new and different wave of nationalist fervour.

You are really out to lunch with this one.

Catherine the Great took Crimea from the Crimean Khanate, itself a former territory of the Ottoman Empire. At the time, Crimean Tatars formed the majority of the population in Crimea, not Ukrainians, and in point of fact, neither the Cossack Hetmanate, nor the Zaporozhian Sich, which made up the bulk of territories that were under Russian control and now part of Ukraine, claimed sovereignity over Crimea.

In future, I would advise you to do a little bit of research before making such confident, authoritative statements.

The history of the Crimean Tartars and their oppression under various forms of the Russian state is rather sad. I really hope this is truly the last time these people have to fight for their homes.

Reactions: T3G

Ukraine is getting brazen.

I wonder how long they can take pot shots at Russia before it becomes public knowledge.

Putin can only supress information for so long while attacks occur on Russian territory.

This will either be his Waterloo or he will turn into the next Stalin and become the defender of Moscow.

Ukraine is getting brazen.

I wonder how long they can take pot shots at Russia before it becomes public knowledge.

Putin can only supress information for so long while attacks occur on Russian territory.

This will either be his Waterloo or he will turn into the next Stalin and become the defender of Moscow.

Nope. Ukraine is bursting the bubble. For the longest time, Russians were told that the "Special Military Operation" didn't require any sacrifice from them. After all, it's all conscripts from poor Siberian towns dying in Ukraine. Not Muscovites. Now, they have to worry. And as they worry, Russia will have to redeploy forces and assets to defend Russia proper. This makes the fight in Southern and Eastern Ukraine easier for the Ukrainians.

Also, after a year of this, I can't believe people are still buying this nonsense about Russia being superpower that will impose substantial costs. They won't because they can't.

Lastly, for someone who regularly talks about how young people here lack toughness, you sure scare easy.

The history of the Crimean Tartars and their oppression under various forms of the Russian state is rather sad. I really hope this is truly the last time these people have to fight for their homes.
To make that happen, Crimea needs to be de-occupied and Ukraine subsequently attain NATO and EU membership.

A quick review of the information currently widely available on the Drone Attack, (I have yet to have a chance to more carefully examine other sources)

None of the UAVs appears to have successfully hit a target.

Reports suggest 2 injuries, zero deaths.

I don't see Ukraine wasting resources here; so that has me wondering about a secondary purpose; perhaps a test of Moscow's air defenses? Perhaps just an assertive taunt? I don't know, just some speculative thought pending more information.

I suspect this was less the Ukrainian military than a proxy supported by Ukraine. The Ukrainian military hasn't shown any willingness to expend resources on non-military targets.

That said, if this forces Russia to reposition some forces from Ukraine back to Russia, I don't think the Ukrainians will complain.

Back