News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 637     0 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

Aren't a disproportionate number of CAF members from Quebec?
mc220713c001-eng.png

Stats Can data:

Roughly lines up with the national population distribution by province.

Ultimately, as a serving member I don't buy these arguments. And I don't want conscripts in the CAF. They are entirely unsuitable for the way we've designed our military (as a modern high tech and highly skilled force). Conscripts armies need their weapons procurement and their doctrine and leadership designed to account for large numbers of less skilled personnel.

Actually, I am 35 not 65.

My cousins who are in their late teens and early 20s can't be bothered to get off the couch let alone fight an actual war.

I also know more than a few former international students who have no allegiance to Canada other than their PR status. If war broke out, they would be fleeing back to their homeland in an instant.
If you have not noticed, your cousins’ survival is not in the balance here, so I’m not sure how you think this is some kind of gotcha. People react differently when living their day to day lives than when their lives or country or city or way of life is under attack.

Furthermore, I'm disturbed at how you think that willingness to fight a war is inherently a positive character trait. If you ask any Ukrainian you can think of, I'm sure their feelings are that it would be best if the bloodshed stopped immediately if not sooner, they're not celebrating that they get a chance to show how much they're not pansies. They fight because they have no other option, that is all. Is it, in your eyes, a positive trait for a Russian (or anyone else) to join the fight on the side of Russia?

Get a grip.

Our own Légion étrangère?

No. They are enrolled as CAF members. Not as a separate force. The plan is to have them do training and finish higher level background checks, getting them citizenship just as they hit their first line units. Most of them sign up with just a year to go till they can apply for citizenship.

Fun Fact: I once considered joining the French Foreign Legion.

Just a tip. Don't say this to people who have actually served. We hear it all the time from people who think saying they almost signed up, is about the same as actual service. It comes across as insensitive and borderline stolen valour.

About that.....

There's more than one way to make sure Russia never has the military, technological or industrial power to threaten NATO again.

I want to highlight the absurdity of some countries defence and foreign policy. Germany commissioned the design of the Boxer as an Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC). Refused to design a turret for it because "Germans don't fight". Australia thinks the Boxer is great. Orders the Boxer and commissions Rheinmetall (German defence company) to build turrets and turn the Boxer into an Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV).

Russia decides to go for all of Ukraine in 2022. Germany realizes it needs IFVs. So now Germany is buying German designed Australian made German IFVs:

When you let ideology drive the bus....

Just a tip. Don't say this to people who have actually served. We hear it all the time from people who think saying they almost signed up, is about the same as actual service. It comes across as insensitive and borderline stolen valour.

I actually did sign up to enlist as a cook in the CAF.

Because I have 3 citizenships the recruiting officer in Toronto was unsure if I would be successful with the application process. Their thinking was, what if Canada goes to war with Hungary or Australia goes to war with Canada. You see where I am going with this.

Their thinking was I would have to pick sides and my application would have been heavily scrutinized as a result. They were happy to have me apply but I could tell by the look on their face that it would be a tough sell.

I decided not to go with the aptitude test knowing there was a good chance I would not be accepted.

Because I have 3 citizenships the recruiting officer in Toronto was unsure if I would be successful with the application process. Their thinking was, what if Canada goes to war with Hungary or Australia goes to war with Canada. You see where I am going with this.

No idea who you talked to but this is pure idiocy and incompetencr and we don't consider this nonsense in the military application process. The security clearance process looks at this. But multiple citizenships has not been a barrier for most. Especially between NATO and allied countries.

Back