1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 660     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 931     0 

2019 Ontario Liberal Leadership Race / Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't follow it super closely either. The particular thing I'm aware of is that ran as quite pro-transit, but from the get-go, investments, even planned ones were never particularly ambitious. At one point, if I recall, Mississauga was aiming to grow service hours by 3% per year; but now is looking at flat service levels.

By contrast, Brampton's current plans call for about 20% more service hours over the next 5 years; and Vancouver (Translink) is aiming for growth of over 100% over 10 years.

Colour me underwhelmed. But on the Mississauga transit file; @drum118 would be better to give colour to Ms. Crombie's track record.

If you go back and look at her initial materials, she was a big champion of 'The Missing Link' and 2-way, all-day Milton. Those two have thus far gone nowhere.
Ms. Crombie's like Hazel and council talk the talk related to transit, but doesn't walk it. I put myself on the sideline 5 years ago as it a waste of time and effector to deal with a budget and service the year before election time and then COVOD hit. As well, that year they rain in transit since its the largest item related to a budget by showing other sectors increase to gain votes for reelection,

As noted on how Brampton is increasing transit while Mississauga has yet to do their 5 year plan that was to start the year before COVID and never got off the ground. Even before this idea of 5 year plan surfer, Brampton was already running circles around Mississauga related to service and quality. It may get off now with the forming of the Transit Advisors Committee that I have push for over 15 years.

Ms. Crombie's has been the main mover for the Missing Link thing and it will go no where due to cost and the RR not interested in doing it. As I have pointed out in the past, it was asking for trouble doing so on many levels and only have to point to the current mess in Ohio at this time to see where both RR would be box in if it happen on that Missing Link and route across Toronto. The only route open to both RR would be the Crosstown Line and the Milton Line to the point GO service would take a major hit.

As for all day service, you can't blame her and council going back as far as 2007 who have called for the 3rd track let alone with a 4th track. The 3rd track was to be in place without an EA by 2011 and it has gone off the rail for some reason and most likely CP and could be wrong. At this time there is some 3rd track in place between Etobicoke Creek-Humber River and Confederation-North of Hwy 403 with all bridges to support 4 track in Mississauga. ML built a 4th track bridge for Cawthra about a decade ago and all new bridges since have been built to support 4 tracks.

She has run the city on the lines of the late Hazel who has offer advised to her from time to time as well being very vocal about about other things for all cities, but like other don't really follow the pollical scene.

As a note, her husband has been her manager for her career and removed various parts of my work in the GTA Moving Transit to help her to elected as Mayor. Hazel comment after hearing the presentation from the new Councilor for Mississauga who was the Co-chairperson of the group at the time that the report should have been a lot stronger than it was. I guess if my original writing would have meet some of Hazel concerns than the water down version.

Will she make a good leader for the party is hard to say without seeing her platform as well who else is running., but would give Ford a run for the money.

Last edited:
She gets elected, and you just know her first goal is making Mississauga independent, and I don't know if that's a good thing.

Maybe someone can give their opinion on the matter.
This is exactly why I don't want to see her become leader. She will act in Mississauga's interests over Ontario as a whole. Her arguments for separation are skewed in bad faith (talks about 60% contributions, hides 50% vote power) and littered with jingoism over real substance. I can't see residents in Brampton excited at her being an option on the ballot after her vilification arguments blaming Brampton for lockdowns in Mississauga (Malton/Meadowvale rates ignored) as a big reason to separate.

Last edited:
Navdeep Bains is well known and a reasonable choice that could unite many GTA ethnic communities especially in seat rich Mississauga, Brampton to try and make history for a South Asian Premier in the province.

She gets elected, and you just know her first goal is making Mississauga independent, and I don't know if that's a good thing.

Maybe someone can give their opinion on the matter.

I won't speak to Mississauga specifically, but at some point GTHA governance needs to be sorted out. I'm not sure the current structure is fit for purpose anymore, given the region's growth. At minimum there should be a commission exploring alternatives and looking at what changes are necessary and possible.

My personal preference is to go to a large regional council for services. Leave smaller community councils for bylaws and planning requirements (permits by the larger government). This would include de-amalgamating the 416. But this would also include moving most 416 services to the regional level and bringing all of the 905 to the same standard of services. And yes I know it's a pipedream and all the issues with doing something like this. I just don't think there should be a difference in transit services, police coverage or library hours, depending on which side of Steeles you live on.

Navdeep Bains is well known and a reasonable choice that could unite many GTA ethnic communities especially in seat rich Mississauga, Brampton to try and make history for a South Asian Premier in the province.
I'm not sure Ontarians are ready to vote for a premier in a turban. The Federal NDP has likely excluded a large voter count for the same reason. There's doing the right thing on diversity/inclusion and then there's the business of winning elections. It's the same reason the LPC keeps looking to Quebec for its PMs, and leaders that will not touch Quebec's racist religious clothing law, knowing that without a Quebecer as leader the party is doomed to fail. If I was a decision maker for the Ontario Libs I'd want a leader that appeals across the board, to Fordians, Dippers and Greens. Sure, there are those in these groups that would never change their vote, but there are many to whom a mass-appealing candidate may have appeal. Under Ford, Ontario lost over 10,000 dead to Covid, mostly due to neglect in LTC and healthcare - and yet he won a second majority. That shows that Ontarians are not liking whatever the NDP and OLP are selling, and that a new mass-appeal OLP leader is needed. If victory is the goal in 2026, we must appeal to voters outside of the GTA.

I'm not sure Ontarians are ready to vote for a premier in a turban. The Federal NDP has likely excluded a large voter count for the same reason. There's doing the right thing on diversity/inclusion and then there's the business of winning elections. It's the same reason the LPC keeps looking to Quebec for its PMs, and leaders that will not touch Quebec's racist religious clothing law, knowing that without a Quebecer as leader the party is doomed to fail. If I was a decision maker for the Ontario Libs I'd want a leader that appeals across the board, to Fordians, Dippers and Greens. Sure, there are those in these groups that would never change their vote, but there are many to whom a mass-appealing candidate may have appeal. Under Ford, Ontario lost over 10,000 dead to Covid, mostly due to neglect in LTC and healthcare - and yet he won a second majority. That shows that Ontarians are not liking whatever the NDP and OLP are selling, and that a new mass-appeal OLP leader is needed. If victory is the goal in 2026, we must appeal to voters outside of the GTA.

If politicians perpetuate this fear of "ethnics", it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If there's someone who resonates with people in general and is responsive to their needs, no one is going to care that they wear a turban. We see South Asian people throughout our society as doctors, business people, lawyers, etc. The NDP's white leaders have never won a federal election, either.

If politicians perpetuate this fear of "ethnics", it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If there's someone who resonates with people in general and is responsive to their needs, no one is going to care that they wear a turban. We see South Asian people throughout our society as doctors, business people, lawyers, etc. The NDP's white leaders have never won a federal election, either.
Good points. Of course the NDP under any leadership has never won a federal election, and never will. But I’m not sure Quebec will ever be ready to give Singh the votes they gave Layton.

People didn't seem to care that Wynn was LGBT.
I sense that women don’t care and even the most homophobic men often give lesbians a free pass - they like women too, so what's not to like? But there’s a whole different level of discrimination and tribalism against POC, especially those in religious garb. But there is hope, and I see a lot more inclusion and diversity in my kids' groups, so perhaps we will see such in the premier's office in the near future. That said, if the OLP wants to beat Ford in 2026 they need their own Fordian, populist candidate.

Mitzie Hunter resigning her seat in Scarborough Guildwood to run in the mayor's race (as expected) could open up a seat for the new OLP leader to run in, if they don't current have one. Guildwood is a fairly safe Liberal seat, with Hunter eking out win during her party's 2018 collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back