307     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 328     0 

2019 Ontario Liberal Leadership Race / Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Original article is behind The Star's paywall:

https://canadatoday.news/on/why-did...thing-assessment-of-electoral-failure-171277/

‘Why didn’t we see this coming?’ Ontario Liberals release scathing review of election failure​

In a candid criticism, the Liberals admit they have been handicapped by an “unpopular” leader in Steven Del Duca, a woolly campaign platform, poor voter identification data, inadequate candidate screening and a lack of money and volunteers.
“Many members and candidates felt that we were trying to be too much of everything – and that’s where we got lost. We’ve heard from candidates that people didn’t know what OLP (Ontario Liberal Party) stood for,” they wrote.
The Grits are banking heavily on gimmicky promises like “province-wide buck-a-ride” for public transit, an optional 13th grade to help high school students struggling with the pandemic, and the elimination of the 8% provincial share of harmonization sales tax on restaurant meals up to $20 or takeout items such as fried chicken.
“Many believed that voter intentions were misidentified and that we were missing vital voter information like cell phone numbers. The belief that surveys are an art and not a science. And with the way the world is changing, we can no longer rely on polls alone to determine an outcome.”

Original article is behind The Star's paywall:

https://canadatoday.news/on/why-did...thing-assessment-of-electoral-failure-171277/

‘Why didn’t we see this coming?’ Ontario Liberals release scathing review of election failure​

There problems didn't lie w/ 'get the vote out' machine.

The Ford vote barely turned out either, same for the NDP.
The machine was not the issue.

Certainly, the leader was a remarkably unhelpful choice, and I won't abide any discussion of that being surprising, no one with a two-digit IQ would come to different conclusion, let alone a 3-digit one.
The reality is the Liberals (as with most parties) allow their leader to be determined by vote-buying.......cough, membership selling, which means candidates aren't even remotely elected on their perceived merits.

No one thought Del Duca could win; he just sold the most memberships.......

Truthfully, the platform was pathetic. Most people aren't policy wonks and don't know 80-90% of what any party proposed.
What they know are 2-3 headline items the media give play.
Those items need to accomplish two things; make the idea of electing party 'x' attractive; and not making party 'x' look unattractive.
Its not complicated.

Harper's winning pitch (bad policy though it was) cut the GST by 2 points. Everyone understood it, and many liked it.

Trudeau, legalize pot, that was his biggest winner the first time out.

Its not that everyone wanted to smoke up, its that many people believed it was silly for it be illegal and that a tax-windfall could be had to everyone's benefit.
Plus some people wanted to smoke up, LOL

Easy to understand, prominent, simple, clear, easy to judge a party on (you did or did not deliver this).

That, and some well placed marketing does wonders.

Trudeau's escalator ad resonated with people. Brilliant, maybe not, sincere........meh; but funny and effective in portraying the Harper gov't as behind the times........yes.

You don't need a genius to tell you any of this, nor a report dozens of pages long. You need to not be in a coma; and have some measure of intellectual coherence.

Last edited:
She gets elected, and you just know her first goal is making Mississauga independent, and I don't know if that's a good thing.

Maybe someone can give their opinion on the matter.

FWIW, I'm not a huge Crombie fan overall.

She, like many a Liberal ran left (for Mississauga) and then has governed differently.

I find her priorities questionable, but I also find her commitment to her priorities questionable.

I thought she was among the better choices when she first ran, even though she was anointed by Hazel.

But now I find the anointed by Hazel thing comes through a bit too loud for my taste.

I don't know about her views on provincial matters to speak to those, but I can say I'm not convinced based on her track record to date in Mississauga that she would be particularly apt for the role.

Is she electable? Maybe? Is that good enough; I rather hope not.

FWIW, I'm not a huge Crombie fan overall.

She, like many a Liberal ran left (for Mississauga) and then has governed differently.

I find her priorities questionable, but I also find her commitment to her priorities questionable.

I thought she was among the better choices when she first ran, even though she was anointed by Hazel.

But now I find the anointed by Hazel thing comes through a bit too loud for my taste.

I don't know about her views on provincial matters to speak to those, but I can say I'm not convinced based on her track record to date in Mississauga that she would be particularly apt for the role.

Is she electable? Maybe? Is that good enough; I rather hope not.
Having not followed Mississauga politics closely, can you provide more insight into her priorities for the city thus far, and the questionable commitment? I'm genuinely curious considering she's been mayor for a good while now (9 years?) - what has she achieved/not achieved during her tenure?

Having not followed Mississauga politics closely, can you provide more insight into her priorities for the city thus far, and the questionable commitment? I'm genuinely curious considering she's been mayor for a good while now (9 years?) - what has she achieved/not achieved during her tenure?

I don't follow it super closely either. The particular thing I'm aware of is that ran as quite pro-transit, but from the get-go, investments, even planned ones were never particularly ambitious. At one point, if I recall, Mississauga was aiming to grow service hours by 3% per year; but now is looking at flat service levels.

By contrast, Brampton's current plans call for about 20% more service hours over the next 5 years; and Vancouver (Translink) is aiming for growth of over 100% over 10 years.

Colour me underwhelmed. But on the Mississauga transit file; @drum118 would be better to give colour to Ms. Crombie's track record.

If you go back and look at her initial materials, she was a big champion of 'The Missing Link' and 2-way, all-day Milton. Those two have thus far gone nowhere.

I don't follow it super closely either. The particular thing I'm aware of is that ran as quite pro-transit, but from the get-go, investments, even planned ones were never particularly ambitious. At one point, if I recall, Mississauga was aiming to grow service hours by 3% per year; but now is looking at flat service levels.

By contrast, Brampton's current plans call for about 20% more service hours over the next 5 years; and Vancouver (Translink) is aiming for growth of over 100% over 10 years.

Colour me underwhelmed. But on the Mississauga transit file; @drum118 would be better to give colour to Ms. Crombie's track record.

If you go back and look at her initial materials, she was a big champion of 'The Missing Link' and 2-way, all-day Milton. Those two have thus far gone nowhere.
Sounds like Tory-lite...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back