News   Mar 28, 2024
 353     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 363     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 711     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Dr. Robert Carter

First of all, you might not want to pull old articles from know conspiracy-theorist websites as a 'source' for your point of view. Just a friendly FYI from me to you.

Secondly, the late Australian Dr. Robert Carter (who is dead, by the way), was on the payroll of The Heartland Institute... and I mean that literally. He received his monthly payments like all other salaried employees for doing the job that his employer expected of him (The Sydney Morning Herald did an article on this very subject: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/c...climatesceptic-think-tank-20120215-1t6yi.html ). There is a major 'conflict of interest' in that type of arrangement. And, as such, nobody takes seriously the words of a person with such an obvious bias.

A fun fact about The Heartland Institute: It was previously known for working with the tobacco industry to deny the claims of smoking causing lung cancer. Now, with that issued settled, they have pivoted to the 'climate change' issue.

Wynne's one coalition that I believe she will largely have intact is Toronto voters. I thinks most Torontonians are unsure about Patrick Brown (let alone the PCs) and Horwath has had difficulties connecting to Toronto voters (they only have two seats in the 416). However, Toronto seats will make up about 1/5 of the seats in 2018.

I think it depends if the Liberals can secure the 416 + 905 suburbs- which may remember the Liberal's missteps.

Don't forget; Wynne was Team Trudeau when he was in third place. Very few other premiers were as active as she was in his campaign. Some strategic appearances from Trudeau in 2018 may save the 905 (and thus the election) for the Liberals.

The fact that rural white voters are angry about hydro doesn't matter as much when you consider that their ridings always go PC anyway.

Though I certainly agree that the Wynne Liberals are a bit shop-worn and tired - the Brown Tories are a disorganised mess and the NDP seem as lost as their Federal cousins. The next election is 2 years - a lot can change, for all of them.

The fact that rural white voters are angry about hydro doesn't matter as much when you consider that their ridings always go PC anyway.

Having said that, one'd hope for less zero-sum policymaking - their anger (if not suffering) is real even if it is politically irrelevant. Higher hydro cost maybe inevitable in the context of climate change policies - it is something else when it's mixed in with perceived incompetence in the energy file.

AoD

Having said that, one'd hope for less zero-sum policymaking - their anger (if not suffering) is real even if it is politically irrelevant. Higher hydro cost maybe inevitable in the context of climate change policies - it is something else when it's mixed in with perceived incompetence in the energy file.

AoD

Higher hydro prices are definitely expected to bring transmission infrastructure up to date and eliminate coal energy- but to have one of the highest energy prices in Canada raises eyebrows.

It also hurts the province's economic competitiveness especially since Ontario is beside Quebec (which has some of the cleanest and lowest energy prices) and a slew of US states which continue to take advantage of coal's lower operating costs.

Edit: This statement from the Globe explains the issue clearly:

The problem facing the Wynne government comes down to this simple fact: Year after year, electricity costs have been rising much faster than inflation. That’s not happening across North America; on the contrary, many jurisdictions are enjoying exceptionally low energy costs. But more than a decade ago, Ontario’s Liberal government decided that it would use the excuse of greening the electricity system – a perfectly good idea, if done right – to try to stimulate and subsidize the creation of new green industries in the province. The province essentially forced the electricity system to become more inefficient and more expensive, for no reason justified by economics or ecology.

Over the past 10 years, Canada’s Consumer Price Index has increased by 17.6 per cent. But over the same period, according to the Ontario Energy Board, the cost to consumers of a kilowatt-hour of electricity purchased at the peak hours of the day has risen from 10.5 cents to 18 cents, a jump of 71 per cent. Mid-peak electricity prices are up 76 per cent. And the price of electricity in the middle of the night, known as off-peak, is up 149 per cent.

Ontarians who sense that their electricity bills are spiralling upward are not imagining things.

Last edited:
Higher hydro prices are definitely expected to bring transmission infrastructure up to date and eliminate coal energy- but to have one of the highest energy prices in Canada raises eyebrows.

It also hurts the province's economic competitiveness especially since Ontario is beside Quebec (which has some of the cleanest and lowest energy prices) and a slew of US states which continue to take advantage of coal's lower operating costs.

Yep, which is why I added the bit about incompetence.

AoD

I wouldn't be surprised if my riding (Scarborough Centre) went to the PC's. It has voted for every winning party since 1971.

Ontario electricity demands are handled fully by Hydro, Nuclear, and gas. These are all quite inexpensive to run.

It I the money wasted on needless wind and solar that has driven up costs.

I wouldn't be surprised if my riding (Scarborough Centre) went to the PC's. It has voted for every winning party since 1971.

Actually, for most of the 1975-95 period SC's de facto provincial predecessor, Scarborough-Ellesmere, voted for the NDP's David Warner--and only in his last term (Rae, duh) was he of the "winning party"...

Great, another climate change denier. Welcome to my Ignore List.
As usual when there is dissent, its the other side who are the "deniers". Wow, what a "surprise'. Guess we should still be living in the ice-age. Oh, I forget, we would not be here without "climate change"

Don't forget; Wynne was Team Trudeau when he was in third place. Very few other premiers were as active as she was in his campaign. Some strategic appearances from Trudeau in 2018 may save the 905 (and thus the election) for the Liberals.

Historically, Ontario vote for the opposite party that exists in Ottawa for those not aware though I am sure most must be

Back