News   Apr 16, 2024
 340     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 735     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 490     3 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In the last election, only 1 incumbent lost.
Increasing council just to create a couple of new spots is not the best was to get good new Councillors.
Reducing their numbers, and thus putting more of a spotlight on each - is a better long term strategy.
Why not just abolish City Council and put Toronto under emergency management?

No no no... I can see him eliminating Toronto City Council and placing Mikey as a "Special Adviser to the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing". What better way to deal with an ineffective and bloated council than getting rid of it all and placing the City of Toronto under the direct control of the Ontario Government. It would allow them to assume control of policing, the subways and other key things..

Hey; remember Thatcher and the GLC in the 1980s. (Except that London's boroughs retained their administrations--so the result was more like if pre-megacity Metro was abolished)

Whoa...hold on. I totally understand the doom scenarios, we're not there yet. In fact, I don't think Ford can pull this off. The magic word you haven't heard the last little while is "injunction"! And that means no matter if or what Ford Dynasty get in terms of staying the Belobaba judgement, that is trumped by an injunction to stop dismantling the 47 ward council.

There are now so many highly qualified opinions stacking up against Bill 31 that getting an injunction should be easy, as there's many quality cases that can and will be brought before the Superior and perhaps higher courts that it will take weeks or more to rule on it. In the meantime, an injunction most surely will be granted.

What astounds me is how pallid the City's own legal department is in missing some of the excellent angles from legal 'experts'.
I think it's becoming recently likely that Ford and Co. might actually break the municipal election: https://twitter.com/jpags

Also see Keenan for a good column today, the argument of which will be a surprise to no one here: https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/09/14/on-the-absurdity-of-doug-ford-causing-crises-then-holding-himself-out-as-the-solution.html

It seems to me they got through about four weeks with Dougie behaving himself. But then he just couldn't help himself to take a swipe at Toronto, and now the bloody city clerk has hired a personal lawyer. This thing is just a slow-motion trainwreck.

Sorry--one last thing: from a quick gander it strikes me as under-commented upon here what a disgrace Elliot has been. I respected her, once upon a time. But she's really just gone down with the ship. I expected better, frankly. Then again, who knows what backroom pedaling went on at the leadership convention between her and Dougie. I'd have loved to have been a fly on that wall.

What’s with the Misogynistic comments from Towered and MTown?

Folks, surely we can criticize Mulroney without attacking her?
Yep--I find those comments unacceptable. The subtle sexism involved in talking about her as a little girl standing in the shadows of 'daddy' are also not okay. She deserves to be judged on her own merits alone.

Sure. But we know the Fords have always been strong feminists. LOL

It's only a few weeks into Doug's mandate and conservatives are already reduced to playing their victim cards...
That’s absurd. Miscreant was simply asking Ford’s critics to be consistent in applying their principles. Unless some animals are more equal than others, that’s entirely reasonable.

The subtle sexism involved in talking about her as a little girl standing in the shadows of 'daddy' are also not okay. She deserves to be judged on her own merits alone.
Got to disagree on that one. It's not 'misogynism' any more than criticizing Junior for standing on Daddy's coattails, which he certainly does.

If Mulroney was a 'self-made person' Daddy wouldn't have done the the massive amount of fund-raising and door opening for her. And as much as the term 'Whore', which I wouldn't have used, is "mildly offensive" according to a number of dictionaries, today, it applies to males and females equally.

Caroline had the opportunity to stand as an individual. She hasn't, and as Attorney-General of the largest province in Canada, she's failed in that respect, and failed in representing the best interests of her constituents.

Brian Mulroney hits campaign trail for daughter Caroline as PC
Caroline Mulroney's 'star' power helps rally Ottawa PC campaigns
Former PM Brian Mulroney draws crowds to Caroline Mulroney's
Caroline Mulroney has name, resumé and backers, but leadership

etc, etc, etc....

When Justin failed to take the lead in standing against the evocation of the 'NWSC' in this instance, he was also pilloried for not doing as "Daddy would have done" (although he did have strategic reasons, which I detailed in this or a related string at UT)(he has other battles to fight while others Libs fight this one). Was it misandrist to hold him to the family name? I think not...

I feel for Mulroney Sr. Caroline has not only taken a stand devoid of principle, she's turned her back on the principles that put her there:
Brian Mulroney hits campaign trail for daughter Caroline as PC leadership race hits final stretch
By PAOLA LORIGGIOThe Canadian Press
Mon., March 5, 2018
[...]
While consistently dismissing critics who accuse her of cashing in on her family name, Caroline Mulroney has recruited her famous father to shore up support as she fights to seize the reins of Ontario’s Opposition.

Former Conservative prime minister Brian Mulroney denied Monday that he was brought in to add clout to his daughter’s campaign as she falls behind in the polls with only days to go before the Progressive Conservatives choose a new leader.

The former politician said he has been stumping for his daughter for weeks at fundraisers and other events, and said her bid for the leadership has been gaining momentum.

“I’m here because I’m her father. That’s all,” he told reporters after a lunchtime event in Ajax — one of three such events he is scheduled to speak at this week while his daughter campaigns in other parts of the province.

He pushed back against suggestions that Caroline Mulroney, a Toronto lawyer and businesswoman, isn’t qualified for the job, saying he was also criticized as too green during his campaign to lead the federal Conservative party in 1983.

“That’s goofy stuff. I had no political experience and look what happened: I won the two largest back-to-back majorities since Sir John A. Macdonald,” he said.
[...]
While Mulroney appears to be bringing out the big guns in the last stretch of the campaign, having her father in the spotlight could send mixed messages, said Geneviève Tellier, a political science expert at the University of Ottawa.
[...]
Mulroney has so far positioned herself as a fresh face outside the political establishment, and having her father there instead reinforces her connection to the old guard, Tellier said.

It could also undermine her efforts to establish herself as a leader in her own right, Tellier said. The fact that the two are appearing separately rather than together suggests Mulroney is trying to strike a balance, she said.

Mulroney’s camp said she is grateful for her father’s support as she criss-crosses the province meeting party members.

“Most know (Brian Mulroney) as a lifelong Conservative whose commitment to public service continues,” said spokesperson Melissa Lantsman. “He’s someone she turns to for advice and she’s grateful for his support.”
[...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...as-pc-leadership-race-hits-final-stretch.html

Last edited:
To put it another way, Mulroney’s gender has nothing to do with her servile incompetence
Agreed, and as A-G, *independence* is not just implied, it's required since holding the position has legal responsibilities. A number of 'The Elders' have pointed to this specifically, as well as appealing to 'the rest' to make a personal stand against using 'the Law' in a way unintended and deleterious to the nation, let alone the province and higher principles.

If this is a case of "sexism" or "misogynism" then some have an issue with a profoundly feminist but *legally neutral* Marie Heinen. She doesn't name C Mulroney directly, in fact studiously avoids the mention of her name, implying CM's irrelevance to having a say in the cult:
And now for your most important lesson: Disagreeing with a legal decision is entirely appropriate. In fact, there is an appellate process that allows you to lawfully challenge the judgment, if you disagree with it. You may not know this yet, but there are people in your government, lawyers at the Ministry of the Attorney-General, who do just that each and every day. We, the public, pay for them, and you have full access. You are welcome. They are very good at their job. You should go and speak to them. They could provide assistance in the form of an articulate critique of Justice Edward Belobaba’s judgment striking down your original bill to cut the size of Toronto city council. “I’m elected and you’re not” does not fall into that category.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...ower-grab-is-worth-undermining-canadas-solid/

Which by extension, applies to CM. Why hasn't she referred to her own staff, especially since she's not a member of the Bar in Ontario?

I have an excuse for her on that one: Staff Counsel are 'flaccid' to say the least (apologies to those I know in the department)...just as ineffective it seems as those opposing at City Hall. There's a damn good reason the City Clerk retained outside legal counsel.

But this leaves us with many exquisitely able outside attorneys to make the case for the City (and nation) in lieu of the lack of able ones on City staff. Unless there's some powerful movement behind the scenes to intervene at the application for a 'stay' (if it ever happens), or to apply for a reopened or new case before Superior or higher court, and an injunction granted until that case(s) can be heard. we're in deep trouble.

Meantime, Ford and his zombies are about to make Canada the biggest laughing stock since...well...Rob Ford.

Back