News   Mar 28, 2024
 48     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Olivia Chow seems determined to throw away a good chunk of her natural vote based on a presumption that this will help her elsewhere. The reality may well be that the next Mayor of Toronto has little actual decision-making power over the DRL, but the perception here will be huge and stick. Moreover, she's coming at this from a position that hardly inspires leadership or thinking big when that is exactly what this city needs. Priorities ARE election issues. Why muddle this and make yourself look completely weak on a file you spent three years on as federal transport critic? Instead of passionately explaining what the DRL actually is, she's taking the route of ignoring it and hoping it helps her votes "out there." That's not leadership or transit planning. It's playing one part of the city off against another and dare I say... a Fordian move.

Olivia Chow seems determined to throw away a good chunk of her natural vote based on a presumption that this will help her elsewhere. The reality may well be that the next Mayor of Toronto has little actual decision-making power over the DRL, but the perception here will be huge and stick. Moreover, she's coming at this from a position that hardly inspires leadership or thinking big when that is exactly what this city needs. Priorities ARE election issues. Why muddle this and make yourself look completely weak on a file you spent three years on as federal transport critic? Instead of passionately explaining what the DRL actually is, she's taking the route of ignoring it and hoping it helps her votes "out there." That's not leadership or transit planning. It's playing one part of the city off against another and dare I say... a Fordian move.

Chow is no leader. She never has been and it's showing. I hope Tory keeps throwing the DRL to the public during this election. At least he knows the DRL is the number one issue for the next council. I just hope when his funding plan is released that it's a solid plan.

great point

it really was only ever a disaster during its construction

in a car, st clair is not as fast as before because there's now only one car lane, but on the streetcar, it's gorgeously fast

but that's just my opinion, eh :)

We could easily make St Clair much faster for cars without spending much money: by removing the street parking. It doubles the traffic lanes to two lanes and the whole road isn't blocked anytime anybody parks or un-parks. You can easily park on the side streets and walk a few minutes to St Clair anyways.

We could easily make St Clair much faster for cars without spending much money: by removing the street parking. It doubles the traffic lanes to two lanes and the whole road isn't blocked anytime anybody parks or un-parks. You can easily park on the side streets and walk a few minutes to St Clair anyways.

The biggest problem area is around Old Weston where it's just one lane under the bridge.

The biggest problem area is around Old Weston where it's just one lane under the bridge.

Yeah but that's one spot on the west end, the rest of the street could be much faster if street parking was removed. That's my experience from driving along it anyways.

Chow is no leader. She never has been and it's showing. I hope Tory keeps throwing the DRL to the public during this election. At least he knows the DRL is the number one issue for the next council. I just hope when his funding plan is released that it's a solid plan.

So Tory is the natural leader we need, right?

Like you, I'm curious about his secret plan to fund the DRL. I hope it's better than the Fords' "private sector" plan.

I wonder why he has to keep it secret? Probably because it's so good, right?

I hope Olivia holds on to her federal seat. Like I said, her heart is not 100 percent into this and that's why the lackluster performance.

What the hell? She's had by far the most polished campaign of the lot. She has obviously been planning this run for a long time and it shows.

As for the DRL, until Tory comes up with a funding plan, his position is 100% the same as Chow's. In fact he's said that he's not going to discuss funding until the province releases it's budget. This is again the same as Chow's plan.

Guess who'll be talking about our gutter mayor this week to international media?

StrashinCBC 6:29pm via Web
Mayoral candidate Olivia Chow sitting down with BBC news tomorrow.

Hmm BBC news vs. Jimmy Kimmel

I wonder which the mass voters watches?

Never forget that John Tory is a bully:

He designed the infamous Jean Chrétien mouth ads for the 1993 election.
That's about as relevant as the Chow co-op housing thing.

In other news, Tory said that he's unwilling to take down the Gardiner if it increases commute times. This is not the Civic Action John Tory that got me pumped for the next election.

Back