News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 862     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

So, I talked to a relative who basically knows lots of middle-aged Cantonese speaking Chinese-Canadian suburbanites (long list of adjectives eh?), asked him what they thought about the various candidates.

Basically, he told me that Chow being able to speak Chinese, or being Chinese, has almost no relevance. In fact, they are hardcore members of Ford Nation. They absolutely loooove the way Ford talks about not wasting money, keeping taxes low, keeping his office budget low etc. Also, many in Scarborough simply want the subway because "subways make their property values rise", not because of any of the multitude of reasons we discuss on this forum. They don't really like Chow because she's in the NDP and has the reputation of being pro-union and pro-taxes.

At the end of the day, you can't assume that everyone in a given demographic group thinks or votes the same way obviously, but I thought it might be interesting to share my discussion about some members of a demographic that is perhaps less likely to post on this forum or online in general.
Sounds about right. Coming from a city state where the government does little of anything by way of society building (minimal support for culture or research or even active business-promoting policies of any kind; minimal social safety net) and collects almost no personal taxes and yet had almost always been awash in cash (thanks to revenues from its high land prices) and infrastructure just kind of fell from the sky, most of them would have come to expect that all governments are run that way. Of course as HK's society begins to unravel in the past few years, all the problems with this type of do-nothing government is becoming obvious, but of course they are not there to personally experience it.

There is a strong anti-gay undercurrent in these cultures, we just don't know how they translate in a Canadian context or whether it is even a deal breaker type of concern.

Perhaps more in Toronto's culture, at least those of a certain age, than some would care to admit.

I'm thinking back to "Operation Soap".

Perhaps more in Toronto's culture, at least those of a certain age, than some would care to admit.

I'm thinking back to "Operation Soap".

There is that too. I just wonder how big a part this will play in the voting booths with the current field of candidates. I am hoping it will be small to insignificant. But it could go either way. I guess we will find out in Oct.

There is that too. I just wonder how big a part this will play in the voting booths with the current field of candidates. I am hoping it will be small to insignificant. But it could go either way. I guess we will find out in Oct.

I agree with you.

In my heart, I believe these next 7+ months are going to give "Crazy Town" a nervous breakdown.

Last edited:
The 1980s liberal multiculturalism project is coming home to roost in GTA

I guess we now know what's behind all these cynical comments about immigrants and ethnic minorities. Can we stop pretending that jusbokeh's pronouncements have anything to do with reality and are instead purely a product of some bizarre personal agenda.

Half of Torontonians are first generation immigrants. About 75-80% of Torontonians are supportive of gay marriage. Ford's anti-gay stance puts him completely out of the mainstream - immigrant or Canadian-born.

Let's stop feeding the trolls.

It's almost like jusbokeh's fueling a process that'll wind up driving the "liberal" cultural class into the arms of a Pim Fortuyn-esque "pro-gay, anti-immigrant" character--sort of a counter-Ford, I suppose...

To be honest, I am more concerned with the population intending to vote for Rob Ford on the basis of him being entertaining.

I know lots of people who share that sentiment unfortunately....

To be honest, I am more concerned with the population intending to vote for Rob Ford on the basis of him being entertaining.

I'm not a psychiatrist, but I think the entertainment factor has a lot to do with his weight.

Many find "husky" people "jolly".

Rob ford has the Muslim and south Asian vote on lock.

Neither of those groups will vote for a pro gay agenda candidate.

1. That's just one/two segments of the electorate.

2. If candidates other than Ford emphasise more immediate concerns such as transit, jobs, housing and generally making things more affordable for families, those kinds of 'culture war' issues will be much less of a consideration for voters. I doubt they're even aware of which candidates have a 'pro gay agenda' (whatever that is ... other than a 'not expressly anti-gay agenda'?).

3. Ford has demonstrated no empathy or outreach to the Muslim or South Asian communities.

It's true, municipal politics will never be as exciting, interesting or entertaining again once Ford isn't mayor lol

Sorry if this has already been discussed but have any of the candidates stated their opinions about jets at Billy Bishop airport?

Back